Alaska Air with ukulele (recent, 2017+ experiences, please)

Tonya

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've flown with a tenor ukulele as a personal item on Southwest and Hawaiian and even United. I'll be flying on Alaska Air this next week and am curious as to any recent experiences with a tenor on this specific airline; this is trans-Pacific, not inter-island.

Any tips? I've already upgraded to premium seating so will be boarding early, figuring I'll be able to stow it above me nearby. I've never, ever had any problem flying with it before...

I've flown west coast to Honolulu and back three times on Alaska B737s, with the last being in late 2017. No problem carrying on tenors and baritones in coach and higher. They both fit easily in the overhead and no eyebrows were raised that I could see. I also carried a small pack or over-the-shoulder bag for books, etc.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
I've never had a problem carrying guitar or ukulele on Alaska between Canada, USA (including mainland to & from Hawaii), and Mexico. You can call them and confirm for your specific route and planes.

Official policy is at https://www.alaskaair.com/content/t...al-baggage/traveling-with-musical-instruments
Small musical instruments may count as your one carry-on bag and may exceed the Standard carry-on dimensions, as long as they can be safely accommodated in a proper stowage compartment in the cabin of the aircraft.

I recommend a hard case. Small instruments in an overhead can be hard to see, especially for short people (high school gymnastics team!) and I've had people try to shove luggage on top of my gig-bag. It's easier to keep an eye out if you put it in the overhead opposite your seat rather than directly above you. Flight attendants may be willing to stow it in the 1st class closet if it doesn't fit overhead.

My experience is mostly with Alaska and as recent as this year. Essentially the same rules should be true for all US flights. FAA rules are at https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/air-travel-musical-instruments .

Air Canada allows pre-boarding if you have an instrument. I've never asked to pre-board for an instrument on Alaska, but it wouldn't surprise me if they allowed it.

Last edited:
No problems carrying on a uke on Alaska, with multiple trips for Washington State to Hawaii in the past 5-6 years. Flew from Honolulu to Seattle last week and one guy carried a guitar on board. Premium seating greatly increases the chance of having plenty of space in the overhead bin, but I always pay close attention to people stowing bags after my uke is in the bin.

In December, we flew with a tenor in a hard case and soprano in a gig bag from Maui to SFO via Alaska and had no issues.

Some important caveats to our case: our flight was a red-eye, and thus overhead storage was ample; and we were traveling with an infant, too, so I doubt anyone would've been eager to give us any grief.

I've also travelled with a trumpet as one of my carryons for years and have never had an issue. I think most airlines are understanding of musicians' needs, and provided it isn't an issue fitting it in the cabin are pretty accommodating, too.

What everyone else said. Alaska--really, their subsidiary, Horizon--is the only airline out of (or into) here, and I always bring a uke. No problems at all. I also bring a bag with a book, etc., but because I have their credit card, I can check my luggage for free, and I do. Horizon is the only airline I know of that gives out free beer or wine on afternoon and evening flights.

Top Bottom