Gear?

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
Some of you have mentioned accumulating music related gear, in addition to ukuleles. What type of gear?

I've got a couple tuners, so I can have one handy by each place I play in the house.

Each ukulele has a strap and a humidifier, along with a case, but that seems to be the extent of my "gear."

What types of things do you all mean when you mention "gear"?

Things I keep around for the musicing:

• Tuners (an ever dwindling collection--the cats keep stealing them)
  • Picks (ditto! Darn cats!)
  • Straps (I admit it. I like pretty straps)
  • Capos (only a couple)
  • Music stands (a few in the music rooms, a portable in the car)
  • Instrument stands (ditto)
  • Pedals (could be worse than UAS)
  • Metronome (I like a dedicated one better than a phone app)
  • Timers (ditto)
  • Cables, cleaning supplies (not sexy, but necessary)

Let’s see.....
Hard case for each uke (except my Clara) with a humidifier
Soft padded gig bags for each uke
Tuners
Capos
A small ziplock with a pencil, nail file, nail clippers, band aides, clothes pins, and an extra battery for my tuner pedal. This ziplock moves from bag to bag as needed.
Several instrument stands
Two music stands, plus a clamp on uke holder that fits on one of the stands
A strap for each uke
Strings
Cleaning supplies
Black Star Fly amp
Boss tuner pedal
A bunch of cables & MiSi chargers
A small mic for my iPhone & a tripod for filming
A bunch of binders full of music
I think that’s it, but I’m probably forgetting something.

Last edited:
Some of you have mentioned accumulating music related gear, in addition to ukuleles. What type of gear?

I've got a couple tuners, so I can have one handy by each place I play in the house.

Each ukulele has a strap and a humidifier, along with a case, but that seems to be the extent of my "gear."

What types of things do you all mean when you mention "gear"?

Don't have it yet, but when I install a pickup I intend to have a looping pedal and amplifier. And do books count?

A few others not mentioned:

neck cradle
painter's tape
Strings, strings, and more strings
microfiber towels
CD Player (this was harder to find that you might think)

I have lots of gear.

I didn't use the handle "Gadget Man" for my CB in 70s and 80s for nothing, I actually had three at the time. I love gear, not only do I put a clip on tuner on each of my ukes and bass ukes that don't have one built in, I also have a strap for each one, 34. I also have 4 mini amps, rechargeable batteries and chargers, a MacBook Pro with a second monitor, a dedicated Mac Mini to record off the DVR with the necessary gear to allow me to do that, a laser and hi res 13x19 photo printer and portable battery color printer, two Nikon D300s cameras with 5 lenses (I'm the staff photographer for the Los Angeles Lawyers Philharmonic/Big Band of Barristers/Legal Voices Chorus).

Plus Monday my seniors uke group is having a Pot Luck party in the back yard of one member for memorial day where a few members will play, so I'm breaking out my Behringer 12 channel mixer controlled by my iPad (I have four other mixers), and my 5 mic wireless setup with stands, plus my Carvin 200w amp run on a little battery/inverter rig I put together.

I could go on and on, but I'm taking up too much of your time.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I can add ukulele hats: two fedoras, a pork pie, a small straw fedora, and several uke-related caps.
Fretboard oil, string lube, uke stands, chord picture stamp, more strings than I'll probably ever need.

Yes, I have these and music stands and extra strings.

I guess I can add t-shirts, since people are including clothing.
Jake's website had some serious discounts on t-shirts at Christmas time, so I got a few of those. "All You Need is Ukulele", "Peace, Love, Ukulele", and of course, "Play More Uke".

I guess I can add t-shirts, since people are including clothing.
Jake's website had some serious discounts on t-shirts at Christmas time, so I got a few of those. "All You Need is Ukulele", "Peace, Love, Ukulele", and of course, "Play More Uke".
Yep, I have a Minnesota Bluegrass and Old Time Music t shirt that I sometimes wear while playing the ukulele. ;) Which leads to tools used in the stringing of ukuleles and the tightening of screws that need attention on other ukulele related gear. I think that three pairs of needle nose pliers, a pair of side cutters, and a ratcheting screw driver have found their way down to the ukulele corner of the basement with all the other odds and ends that I've accumulated, including that little tin can of D' Addario nothing that I bought for six dollars. I guess you could classify them as ukulele gear, even though they started life in a hanger at the airport. :)

I need four different sizes of batteries to keep all my gear going.

Let's see now...

CR2032 for a Snark tuner and other band members' electro-acoustic ukes.
9-volt for various pedals and a Honeytone mini amplifier
'C' size for a Fender Passport Mini PA
AA for a multi-effects pedal (which takes six of them!) and an iRig acoustic microphone/preamp.

I have three battery chargers so if I suddenly remember I have a gig next day I can charge all the batteries I need for it overnight.

I need four different sizes of batteries to keep all my gear going.

Let's see now...

CR2032 for a Snark tuner and other band members' electro-acoustic ukes.
9-volt for various pedals and a Honeytone mini amplifier
'C' size for a Fender Passport Mini PA
AA for a multi-effects pedal (which takes six of them!) and an iRig acoustic microphone/preamp.

I have three battery chargers so if I suddenly remember I have a gig next day I can charge all the batteries I need for it overnight.

That's another reason I haven't gone electronic. I have a bunch of 2032 batteries, and that's all I need.

To be fair I also have an old-fashioned 'A' tuning fork so I could cope without CR2032s at a pinch.

Binders, lots of binders. The 1 inch ring binders sit well on music stands but the larger ring sizes hold more music. A three ring hole punch too. Although a single hole punch will do in a pinch.

A cup holder for my music stand. It holds a bottle of water or a can of soda pop. I am very good at knocking over an open can sitting on the floor or ground while I am playing. This lifts the beverage up off the ground and within easy reach to take a sip between songs. They are inexpensive, under $20. Several people at my uke club purchased one after seeing mine.

It's a little convenience that makes playing more pleasurable. Especially during a gig.

Aside from the intruments themselves, I use a phone app tuner and a tuning fork; had a good clip-on tuner for ages but the swivel connector broke. All my song sheets are on a 10" Tablet and a 7" Tablet, backed up on my PC and on USB stick and CD.Cases for all my ukes of course,and in case of sweaty fingers, I have a rubber tipped pen stylus for use on the Tablets. One of my instuments is fitted with a strap,and that's as sophisticated an assortment of 'gear' that I own/use!

My problem is that I have to plan for every imaginable eventuality. So I gather up gear to haul around with me all of the time that I never, and will never ever, use. One example, I have a little bottle opener in the cubby in my uke case that I guess is there just in case I might be playing my ukulele and someone will offer me a beer without a twist top. I'm not saying that was my conscious thought process, but it is the only reason that I can think of at the moment for putting it in there. I also have a miniature felt pen in there that for the life of me the only reason I can think that I put it in there is because it fits. I don't want to be that way so about every three months I clean house and get rid of all that stuff that I'll never need, but then I start over. I have to fill that danged little cubby. I've always leave that stupid bottle opener in there though. You can never tell.

Top Bottom