NUD: aNueNue Moon Bird US200

YogiTom

Reaction score
905071E4-016D-497D-9D04-AC481C333B6C.jpg 41C30651-B4A6-46CF-98EA-0986D5E917F7.jpg 62DB685E-577E-4588-8027-EBB46D77D837.jpg 91DE6D90-A678-4D02-A299-386AAD7B6CC7.jpg E37E9E19-8A5A-4FDF-9926-0E2AA0513BA6.jpg

Just arrived from HMS, and I couldn’t wait to get home from work to post the NUD, it is that exciting!

This beauty exceeds my expectations. Tone, sustain, playability, build quality, wood grain, and that adorable fat shape in soprano size all combine to make this a real joy to play, and I’ve only spent ~10 minutes noodling around on it. I’m heading out of town this weekend, but will try to record a sample once I get back.

The shine on the back made it hard to photograph the grain, as it is almost a mirror finish. I included the Snark tuner in one shot for size reference.

I think this may be my “the one” in soprano size...just unreal how much I enjoy it! :shaka:

Some additional photos.

9454E62B-F9B5-4530-9221-A1AA3F5137F0.jpg 9B857C1F-67E4-4AAB-AA59-E5F28ECCBE28.jpg C9FCF1F6-82C1-4D40-8A75-A1A8603F6370.jpg

I love the heel on the neck, very sleek design and profile.

Last edited:
From one soprano fan to another...."My! Look at that wonderful fat little bottom!"
I love it. Now I want one...maybe some day I will find a slightly used one.

Looks absolutely wonderful and I think it’s worth every penny! Even the case is a custom fit to that unique shape of moon bird.
That spruce top, wow, did I see flames pattern on it or just camera angle?
And another thing, I’m curious if you are still planning on installing the pickup? I’d be so worried to even think about it.

Looks absolutely wonderful and I think it’s worth every penny! Even the case is a custom fit to that unique shape of moon bird.
That spruce top, wow, did I see flames pattern on it or just camera angle?
And another thing, I’m curious if you are still planning on installing the pickup? I’d be so worried to even think about it.

Your eyes don’t deceive you; the pattern is to die for! It is a very subtle and hard to capture flame, but I catch glimpses as it moves around.

As for the pickup, I’m still deciding. I figured I would give it some play time to see if I wanted to keep it acoustic or not. On the bright side, the custom case already has the notch cut in the padding for the pickup should I opt to get it! To your point, finding the right luthier would be key.
F4E1D61F-DD8E-4EF0-9B64-C6E4B6E24D1B.jpg

That’s great you’re that stoked. Looks like an instrument that could go the long run.

What a great little soprano. Congratulations! I'm sure you will have years of enjoyment playing it.

Your eyes don’t deceive you; the pattern is to die for! It is a very subtle and hard to capture flame, but I catch glimpses as it moves around.

As for the pickup, I’m still deciding. I figured I would give it some play time to see if I wanted to keep it acoustic or not. On the bright side, the custom case already has the notch cut in the padding for the pickup should I opt to get it! To your point, finding the right luthier would be key.
View attachment 118261

You definitely got yourself a keeper. Those flames I think are considered as silking. See link below to a guitar forum:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157442

Yea, seems like a good idea to keep as acoustic for a while as swiss moon spruce usually takes a slightly longer period of playing time to open up than Engelmann or Sitka spruce. Then again, the wood opening up is another topic by itself!

Congrats! It's a beauty and cannot wait for your sound samples.

Incredibly beautiful ukulele. Even admiring the beauty of the bridge.

From one soprano fan to another...."My! Look at that wonderful fat little bottom!"
I love it. Now I want one...maybe some day I will find a slightly used one.
My Moon Bird concert is nicknamed "Fat Bottom Girl." That fat bottom gives these ukes a wonderful, well-rounded tone.
I'm looking forward to your sound sample Tom.

How wonderful the ukulele stork was to you. A double delight ...... a fat bottom baby & a slice of double cheesecake :D

Looking forward to the sound sample.
That is a beautiful ukulele, and I hope you enjoy it.

You definitely got yourself a keeper. Those flames I think are considered as silking. See link below to a guitar forum:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157442

Yea, seems like a good idea to keep as acoustic for a while as swiss moon spruce usually takes a slightly longer period of playing time to open up than Engelmann or Sitka spruce. Then again, the wood opening up is another topic by itself!

Thanks for the info! Definitely looks like silking, now that I know what to call it. I guess that just means my spruce top was originally quarter sawn nearly perfectly to show that feature. I just know it’s purrty. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately it doesn’t. That’s maybe the one thing that would make it even better, imho.
My Moon Bird concert has a radius fret board. It's not a huge radius, but it does have one.

Top Bottom