PDA

View Full Version : NUD: aNueNue Moon Bird US200

YogiTom
05-23-2019, 10:41 AM
118242 118243 118244 118245 118246

Just arrived from HMS, and I couldn’t wait to get home from work to post the NUD, it is that exciting!

This beauty exceeds my expectations. Tone, sustain, playability, build quality, wood grain, and that adorable fat shape in soprano size all combine to make this a real joy to play, and I’ve only spent ~10 minutes noodling around on it. I’m heading out of town this weekend, but will try to record a sample once I get back.

The shine on the back made it hard to photograph the grain, as it is almost a mirror finish. I included the Snark tuner in one shot for size reference.

I think this may be my “the one” in soprano size...just unreal how much I enjoy it! :shaka:

YogiTom
05-23-2019, 10:43 AM
Some additional photos.

118248 118252 118249

I love the heel on the neck, very sleek design and profile.

prb035
05-23-2019, 11:21 AM
Congratulations Tom, how absolutely beautiful! Enjoy! :D

Sharpshin
05-23-2019, 11:29 AM
From one soprano fan to another...."My! Look at that wonderful fat little bottom!"
I love it. Now I want one...maybe some day I will find a slightly used one.

AustinHing
05-23-2019, 12:07 PM
Looks absolutely wonderful and I think it’s worth every penny! Even the case is a custom fit to that unique shape of moon bird.
That spruce top, wow, did I see flames pattern on it or just camera angle?
And another thing, I’m curious if you are still planning on installing the pickup? I’d be so worried to even think about it.

YogiTom
05-23-2019, 12:36 PM
Looks absolutely wonderful and I think it’s worth every penny! Even the case is a custom fit to that unique shape of moon bird.
That spruce top, wow, did I see flames pattern on it or just camera angle?
And another thing, I’m curious if you are still planning on installing the pickup? I’d be so worried to even think about it.

Your eyes don’t deceive you; the pattern is to die for! It is a very subtle and hard to capture flame, but I catch glimpses as it moves around.

As for the pickup, I’m still deciding. I figured I would give it some play time to see if I wanted to keep it acoustic or not. On the bright side, the custom case already has the notch cut in the padding for the pickup should I opt to get it! To your point, finding the right luthier would be key.

Kibes37
05-23-2019, 12:59 PM
That’s great you’re that stoked. Looks like an instrument that could go the long run.

Kenn2018
05-23-2019, 01:27 PM
What a great little soprano. Congratulations! I'm sure you will have years of enjoyment playing it.

AustinHing
05-23-2019, 02:05 PM
Your eyes don’t deceive you; the pattern is to die for! It is a very subtle and hard to capture flame, but I catch glimpses as it moves around.

As for the pickup, I’m still deciding. I figured I would give it some play time to see if I wanted to keep it acoustic or not. On the bright side, the custom case already has the notch cut in the padding for the pickup should I opt to get it! To your point, finding the right luthier would be key.

You definitely got yourself a keeper. Those flames I think are considered as silking. See link below to a guitar forum:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157442

Yea, seems like a good idea to keep as acoustic for a while as swiss moon spruce usually takes a slightly longer period of playing time to open up than Engelmann or Sitka spruce. Then again, the wood opening up is another topic by itself!

rainbow21
05-23-2019, 02:27 PM
Congrats! It's a beauty and cannot wait for your sound samples.

AQUATOPAZ
05-23-2019, 03:37 PM
Incredibly beautiful ukulele. Even admiring the beauty of the bridge.

RafterGirl
05-23-2019, 03:39 PM
From one soprano fan to another...."My! Look at that wonderful fat little bottom!"
I love it. Now I want one...maybe some day I will find a slightly used one.
My Moon Bird concert is nicknamed "Fat Bottom Girl." That fat bottom gives these ukes a wonderful, well-rounded tone.
I'm looking forward to your sound sample Tom.

How wonderful the ukulele stork was to you. A double delight ...... a fat bottom baby & a slice of double cheesecake :D

YogiTom
05-23-2019, 04:43 PM
How wonderful the ukulele stork was to you. A double delight ...... a fat bottom baby & a slice of double cheesecake :D

:biglaugh:

Joyful Uke
05-23-2019, 06:07 PM
Looking forward to the sound sample.
That is a beautiful ukulele, and I hope you enjoy it.

pix.fairydust
05-23-2019, 10:51 PM
It's so cute and curvy! Congrats and can't wait to hear it! Not seen many people buying the moon bird soprano

Jerryc41
05-24-2019, 12:31 AM
Nice! They look and sound beautiful.

Lapyang
05-24-2019, 02:41 AM
It looks really great, and yes the big bottom really adds to the beauty of the little soprano. Does it come with radius fretboard?

Jerryc41
05-24-2019, 03:34 AM
My Moon Bird concert is nicknamed "Fat Bottom Girl."

Boy! That is a term I would never use when people are around. :D

YogiTom
05-24-2019, 03:57 AM
Does it come with radius fretboard?

Unfortunately it doesn’t. That’s maybe the one thing that would make it even better, imho.

YogiTom
05-24-2019, 04:02 AM
You definitely got yourself a keeper. Those flames I think are considered as silking. See link below to a guitar forum:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157442

Yea, seems like a good idea to keep as acoustic for a while as swiss moon spruce usually takes a slightly longer period of playing time to open up than Engelmann or Sitka spruce. Then again, the wood opening up is another topic by itself!

Thanks for the info! Definitely looks like silking, now that I know what to call it. I guess that just means my spruce top was originally quarter sawn nearly perfectly to show that feature. I just know it’s purrty. :rolleyes:

RafterGirl
05-24-2019, 03:44 PM
Unfortunately it doesn’t. That’s maybe the one thing that would make it even better, imho.
My Moon Bird concert has a radius fret board. It's not a huge radius, but it does have one.

YogiTom
05-24-2019, 05:06 PM
My Moon Bird concert has a radius fret board. It's not a huge radius, but it does have one.

I’ll have to look closer when I get home on Monday! If it is there, I didn’t notice. I also couldn’t find the info on aNueNue’s website nor in the HMS listing.

RafterGirl
05-24-2019, 07:09 PM
I’ll have to look closer when I get home on Monday! If it is there, I didn’t notice. I also couldn’t find the info on aNueNue’s website nor in the HMS listing.
I asked Andrew at HMS before I bought mine. He said it was like a 20 or 22 radius. Very subtle, but not a totally flat fret board. If you look at it from the sound hole you can see it. I'm assuming the soprano has it, since the concerts & tenors do.

YogiTom
05-24-2019, 08:39 PM
I asked Andrew at HMS before I bought mine.

How is it that the idea of asking a live person a few questions before purchasing never even crossed my mind? Oh, I remember: my UAS addled brain told me it would be gone if I kept delaying...:nana:

All joking aside, I can’t believe I have never done this before in my online ukulele buying. Kinda scary to think about now with a more rational mind!

RafterGirl
05-25-2019, 09:33 AM
How is it that the idea of asking a live person a few questions before purchasing never even crossed my mind? Oh, I remember: my UAS addled brain told me it would be gone if I kept delaying...:nana:

All joking aside, I can’t believe I have never done this before in my online ukulele buying. Kinda scary to think about now with a more rational mind!
I only asked him because there was a lot of contradicting info on whether there was a radius or not. I figured he would have the correct information since he can look at the ukulele & measure the radius, or lack thereof. In all fairness, it's a very subtle radius, and not readily apparent if you don't know ahead of time. Since I had never owned a uke with a radius before, I wanted to know if it had one, and how much radius there was in comparison to other ukuleles with a radius.

Jerryc41
05-25-2019, 10:12 AM
My Moon Bird tenor's fretboard is radiused, but it's slight.

RafterGirl
05-25-2019, 10:38 AM
My Moon Bird tenor's fretboard is radiused, but it's slight.
Many of the reviews for the Moon Bird concerts & tenors, including by Barry Maz on "Got A Uke, said the Moon Bird had no radius. It was confusing, and the aNueNue website offered no help. Thanks to Andrew at HMS for getting the info for me. Now let's see if Tom's new soprano Moon Bird has the slight radius.

shanmoon
05-27-2019, 05:26 AM
Congrats on the Soprano. Looking forward to you sharing a sound sample. My concert Moon Bird is my "the one" in concert size. I'm impatiently waiting for a tenor (currently in setup at HMS), which might be "the one" in tenor size for me. I love all my tenors, but each has one thing I'd like to change (like my pono's neck is a bit think, the only thing keeping it from being "the one"). I'd love to get my hands on one of the Cedar top/Koa Moon Birds to compare one day.

Jerryc41
05-27-2019, 06:18 AM
Many of the reviews for the Moon Bird concerts & tenors, including by Barry Maz on "Got A Uke, said the Moon Bird had no radius. It was confusing, and the aNueNue website offered no help. Thanks to Andrew at HMS for getting the info for me. Now let's see if Tom's new soprano Moon Bird has the slight radius.

Well, this is funny. I checked my tenor again, and it is definitely radiused - but only at the end near the sound hole. So it's more of a styling design that a functional radius. The fretboard itself is flat. I wonder if other ukes have that design.

YogiTom
05-27-2019, 10:42 AM
Well, this is funny. I checked my tenor again, and it is definitely radiused - but only at the end near the sound hole. So it's more of a styling design that a functional radius. The fretboard itself is flat. I wonder if other ukes have that design.

So, I observed something very similar when I looked across the fretboard: flat board, slightly radiused frets. Granted, I didn’t take the strings off to really check if the board was totally flat...maybe I can figure it out with a toothpick rocking back and forth underneath the strings to see if there is any wobble, but I can’t be certain it’ll be entirely accurate. The wobble might be from an imperfectly straight toothpick.

I’ll know for sure when I change the strings, but I have so many other things going on I doubt that will be any time soon. And I really like the stock strings! Assuming they are similar to Fremonts or another black fluorocarbon.

Jerryc41
05-27-2019, 10:57 AM
So, I observed something very similar when I looked across the fretboard: flat board, slightly radiused frets. Granted, I didn’t take the strings off to really check if the board was totally flat...maybe I can figure it out with a toothpick rocking back and forth underneath the strings to see if there is any wobble, but I can’t be certain it’ll be entirely accurate. The wobble might be from an imperfectly straight toothpick.

I’ll know for sure when I change the strings, but I have so many other things going on I doubt that will be any time soon. And I really like the stock strings! Assuming they are similar to Fremonts or another black fluorocarbon.

Well, the first thing you would have to do is bring that toothpick to the Bureau of Standards and have it measured. A workman is no better than his tools. :D

Flat, curved, wavy, narrow, wide - doesn't matter to me. I'd never base a buying decision on the design of the fretboard.

prb035
05-27-2019, 11:21 AM
Well, the first thing you would have to do is bring that toothpick to the Bureau of Standards and have it measured. A workman is no better than his tools. :D

Flat, curved, wavy, narrow, wide - doesn't matter to me. I'd never base a buying decision on the design of the fretboard.

Ha-ha, this is very funny! Calibrating a toothpick....I'd like to see that :D I thought that the radiused fingerboard was highly regarded?

YogiTom
05-27-2019, 11:27 AM
Ha-ha, this is very funny! Calibrating a toothpick....I'd like to see that :D I thought that the radiused fingerboard was highly regarded?

They generally make fretting chords more comfortable, as the slight curve adds some ergonomic comfort compared to a traditional flat board. I say this having never tried one (at least knowingly, as this thread illustrates!)

RafterGirl
05-27-2019, 12:42 PM
If I remember correctly, when I asked Andrew at HMS, he said he measured it at 20. If that's true, then that's the flattest radius gauge that comes in a radius gauge measuring set. At least the sets I see on StewMac. I can see a difference between my KoAloha concert fret board & my Moon Bird concert.....but very slight. Spitting hairs. Can I feel a difference.... maybe, a little bit. But that may just be the difference between a KoAloha & an aNueNue design in general. I've never played a ukulele with a "true" radius, so I really have nothing to compare it with.Bottom line ......my Moon Bird sounds & plays fantastic.

Enough about radius......so long as you love playing your little fat bottom baby?

Nickie
05-27-2019, 01:42 PM
Congratulations!
Wow, Anue nue has hit a home run with the Bird series!

YogiTom
05-28-2019, 05:23 AM
“Rushed” sample recorded before I go to work. I say “rushed” because I really didn’t want to stop playing it, so not a short one. Also, recorded before my coffee, so there are some mental stutters (brain farts) where words escaped me, as did the shape of a simple A Major chord in the second song, breaking my rule of not stopping for mistakes. Oh well! Just reason to keep practicing! :shaka:

https://youtu.be/VNOnSb4h_Ys

Jerryc41
05-28-2019, 07:58 AM
This is strange. I received an email from UU at 1:29 about a message for this thread. As of 1:56, it still hasn't appeared. Where'd it go?

"Dear Jerryc41,

Kibes37 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - NUD: aNueNue Moon Bird US200 - in the Uke Talk forum of Ukulele Underground Forums.

This thread is located at:
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?139511-NUD-aNueNue-Moon-Bird-US200&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Damn, I want a Moon Bird...

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Ukulele Underground Forums"

Does anyone understand how this happened? This happens several times a day.

YogiTom
05-28-2019, 08:50 AM
Does anyone understand how this happened? This happens several times a day.

Ghost in the machine? Deleted comment? Not sure, but worth asking a moderator if it is happening with frequency.

Joyful Uke
05-28-2019, 09:30 AM
Thanks for sharing the video.
Good thing I don't play soprano, or I'd really, really be wanting a soprano Moon Bird.
Enjoy it!

prb035
05-28-2019, 11:29 AM
Thanks for sharing the video.
Good thing I don't play soprano, or I'd really, really be wanting a soprano Moon Bird.
Enjoy it!

Ha-ha, I couldn't agree more! The Moon Birds are irresistible :D

DownUpDave
05-28-2019, 11:40 AM
“Rushed” sample recorded before I go to work. I say “rushed” because I really didn’t want to stop playing it, so not a short one. Also, recorded before my coffee, so there are some mental stutters (brain farts) where words escaped me, as did the shape of a simple A Major chord in the second song, breaking my rule of not stopping for mistakes. Oh well! Just reason to keep practicing! :shaka:

https://youtu.be/VNOnSb4h_Ys

Definitely a radius as viewed on your video, good camera work. That is one canon of a soprano, congratulatiins and enjoy it.

I really wish I hadn't found out this soprano has a radius..............oh UAS leave me now :drool:

YogiTom
05-28-2019, 12:20 PM
Definitely a radius as viewed on your video, good camera work. That is one canon of a soprano, congratulatiins and enjoy it.

I really wish I hadn't found out this soprano has a radius..............oh UAS leave me now :drool:

Happy to help! :p

It really is a canon, so much so that it surprises me when I strum. I’m not expecting the depth of the sound that comes out of it.

Steedy
05-28-2019, 03:37 PM
Wow, that little birdie sounds good! :)

rhiggie
05-28-2019, 04:07 PM
Congrats Jeff on a cool new uke. What a difference in sound from the Kamaka. That's what I love about ukes (and why we need so many), lots of variation in their voices. I have the A/E tenor Moon Bird and it's my main player in our all uke band, it replaced my Godin Multiuke which I sold to the lead uke player (I also play a custom tenor banjolele and tenor 8 string for variety in the band). Really great plugged in sound! And I liked the strings so much I searched the web to find someone selling their "Black Water Strings" so I can keep a couple spare sets in the case. ENJOY!

YogiTom
05-28-2019, 04:33 PM
Congrats Jeff on a cool new uke. What a difference in sound from the Kamaka. That's what I love about ukes (and why we need so many), lots of variation in their voices. I have the A/E tenor Moon Bird and it's my main player in our all uke band, it replaced my Godin Multiuke which I sold to the lead uke player (I also play a custom tenor banjolele and tenor 8 string for variety in the band). Really great plugged in sound! And I liked the strings so much I searched the web to find someone selling their "Black Water Strings" so I can keep a couple spare sets in the case. ENJOY!

Thanks Rick! And thanks again for the Kamaka; very different sound and very different feel, which to your point I’m only now discovering is a whole can of UAS worms I didn’t need opened. :)