NUD: The Rebel ‘Double Cheesecake’ C-LN

YogiTom

Reaction score
FC7625C2-80DB-4B53-AB3D-387EDE6C55C5.jpg 72BE347C-E57D-4E6A-BDA2-4FA7DF238803.jpg 5E9D6E61-6213-46C8-983D-83D31AE1842D.jpg 28A8881D-6E4A-41E7-B68A-18864DD6C0A4.jpg 55005A44-5CD9-4F30-A578-C97E8C0E90D9.jpg

Double NUD, because I have a problem. Also because HMS kindly consolidated this with my Moon Bird...

I have been longing for a spruce top concert uke for awhile, and thought the KoAloha KCO-10S was the answer. Unfortunately, I compared it against the Rebel Double Creme concert we already have, and I couldn’t believe how much more I preferred the Rebel.

(While these guys also build the Opio line for KoAloha, their own brand has a very different build that I think I prefer. Same high quality execution, just different styles.)

So when I saw this pop on HMS, I jumped at it and returned the Opio.

Clean, simple build with a flair of modern appointments and style. Position markers are unique shapes of maple inlayed into the ebony fretboard, and match the geometric maple inlay in the headstock/the company’s triforce logo.

The spruce top has a lovely pattern that glimmers and shimmers as it moves in the light, as do the mahogany back and sides.

As for tone, it is just what I wanted. Bright treble notes from the spruce and some rich warm bass and an all around full sound across its range. Hard to find a place that the notes don’t sing out.

And then there is the size: concert body with a 17”-ish scale and 1.5” nut. Everything I could hope for in terms of comfort for my style and size (I’m 6’ tall, but Scandinavian build, so lanky fingers). Feels great to hold and play, and feels supremely light weight (similar to the Opio I returned and the other Rebel we have)

My one and only complaint is with the gig bag. It is straight out of some terrible 80s fever dream. I think I’ve previously said it looks like what John McEnroe may have used as a tennis racket bag during his prime.

In conclusion I love this uke. If you’re ever in a position to pick up a ukulele from these guys, I’d highly recommend it. Mim and HMS have them occasionally, and they always seem to go quickly. These ukuleles really punch well above their price point for both sound and build quality. Can’t recommend them enough!

Nice. It's great when we find an instrument that fits nicely into the niche we prefer.

That spruce top is terrific looking! Bling would only take away from its beauty.

Congrats!

Double bliss! congrats on your second NUD for the same day. Haha.

Given the price tag, I think rebel choose to invest in the quality making of the uke than including the cost of a good gig bag.

Wow... what a problem! Two nice acquisitions in one day. Too much to handle at once.

Nice a DOUBLE NUD which includes a Double Cheescake........seen any Double Rainbows lately dude. Congratulations on both the Moonbird, it seems to be getting a lot of attention and this Rebel which deserves the same. Considering the fact this is the second Rebel you have bought in a short period of time speaks volumes. So does your list of NUDs based in the short time you have been here. Keep up the good work. Enjoy those new beauties, very well done sir ;)

Nice a DOUBLE NUD which includes a Double Cheescake........seen any Double Rainbows lately dude. Congratulations on both the Moonbird, it seems to be getting a lot of attention and this Rebel which deserves the same. Considering the fact this is the second Rebel you have bought in a short period of time speaks volumes. So does your list of NUDs based in the short time you have been here. Keep up the good work. Enjoy those new beauties, very well done sir ;)

Thank you! Plenty of double rainbows with the rain we just had here in West Marin, and I was able to enjoy at least one with my OU at the recent Tiburon Wine Festival. It was pouring rain so not much actual mead for me to pour. ;)

I have definitely hit a wall with my UAS. The next things are going to be customs: first a gift uke from TyDe, made of all reclaimed Tahoe wood, for my best friend and wife who recently moved up to Tahoe; and then an “endemic uke” from Goat Rock, using the wonderful and beautiful woods we have available here in California.

Then, maybe, I’ll finally spend more time practicing than drooling over ukes online. :shaka:

Finally had time to record a sound sample/review.

Apologies for the rambling, sore throated review, and for not having the Double Crème tuned up and ready to go! :rolleyes:

I haven’t, largely because I don’t need the temptation. ;)
Missed your comment. Well then, give it a chance if you happened to see one hanging in a music store.

Finally had time to record a sound sample/review.

Apologies for the rambling, sore throated review, and for not having the Double Crème tuned up and ready to go! :rolleyes:

Love these videos. Keep ‘em coming!

I kinda prefer the mango’s voice over the cheesecake. It’s like sweeter.

Missed your comment. Well then, give it a chance if you happened to see one hanging in a music store.

Love these videos. Keep ‘em coming!

I kinda prefer the mango’s voice over the cheesecake. It’s like sweeter.

Thanks! I do have a “dream vintage uke”, which happens to be a Martin. Just need to actually hold and play one to make sure I subscribe to the hype. :)

And I agree; kinda makes me wish my wife would trade... :p

Thanks! I do have a “dream vintage uke”, which happens to be a Martin. Just need to actually hold and play one to make sure I subscribe to the hype. :)

And I agree; kinda makes me wish my wife would trade... :p

I’m sure you will find that dream vintage Martin. Just a matter of time. Haha.

Well you could just grab and use your wife’s uke. I play with my wife’s only ukulele, a cedar with ebony back and sides. She hardly touch it.

Top Bottom