This week’s Cocobolos

YogiTom

Reaction score
Given the new system—where if you win any lottery, all your accumulated tries get wiped—I have been extremely careful about the ukes I enter the lottery for.

With that said, this week was the first time I entered every. single. lottery. Even though I have no need of them, and am trying to save for the TyDe custom I have in the works, I couldn’t help myself! I loved each of them this week, and only hope I don’t win one...:rolleyes:

HAha, they are tasty looking little devils, aren't they?
I am soooo tempted....
if I didn't already own the Cocobolo I want....
This one is kinda special, it's the only cocobolo ukulele to date with a chamfered arm rest...that I know of.
It's my go to, and my gigging uke.
It has "Sold" several Cocoboli to TBUS members, one guy bought 2.
Cocobolo Ukuleles certainly are special, and one day may be collector's items!

I have two custom TyDe’s. You can’t go wrong with one, you’ll be happy with it.

I have two custom TyDe’s. You can’t go wrong with one, you’ll be happy with it.

Unfortunately I’ll only get to play it; it is a gift for my best friend and his wife, who are starting a new life (and family) in Tahoe, just a stone’s throw from the TyDe workshop!

I’ll post a NUD once it is finished, but I’ll have to commission my own after my bank account recovers...

Could you explain that? I always thought that each lottery started from scratch.
It's new. The idea is that repeat triers get a better shot at winning. So the longer you've been waiting without winning, the better odds you have of finally getting one. When demand completely outstrips supply, there's no completely "fair" system of distributing the goods, but this is Kevin's way of trying to be more fair to folks who've been unlucky for longer.

It's new. The idea is that repeat triers get a better shot at winning. So the longer you've been waiting without winning, the better odds you have of finally getting one. When demand completely outstrips supply, there's no completely "fair" system of distributing the goods, but this is Kevin's way of trying to be more fair to folks who've been unlucky for longer.

If I'm understanding this - That make's it tough if say one is selective and only submitting for a uke once in awhile. I wonder if that means there's even slimmer chance for that choice uke or should one submit for everything and then decline what isn't one's choice.

If I'm understanding this - That make's it tough if say one is selective and only submitting for a uke once in awhile. I wonder if that means there's even slimmer chance for that choice uke or should one submit for everything and then decline what isn't one's choice.

In my case, I bid on all that were offered, and I was glad to get the one that I did. If I had bid on just one, I would have lost. You can always decline. Of course, if there is one that you wouldn't want to own, don't make an entry for that one.

I still don't understand how the new system works.

Well, I dunno. People trying to "game the system" is one of the problems with these kinds of systems but like I said, there's no perfect system. Personally I would say only enter for the ukes you actually want to win and are willing to pay for.

I have seen cocobolos for sale posted by Luis Pilarte on some selling sites.
Different thing. “Cocobolo” here is a brand not just the wood it’s made from. Part of the game is that demand is controlled by lottery rather than by raising prices. You can get ukus made from cocobolo elsewhere, but they aren’t Cocobolos.

Managed to halt my UAS since I decided I want a Cocobolo baritone, and those don’t come up often (and last time one of the two was dreadfully ug^H^H not to my taste. I think more people bid on the one that I liked than there have been baris)

In my case, I bid on all that were offered, and I was glad to get the one that I did. If I had bid on just one, I would have lost. You can always decline. Of course, if there is one that you wouldn't want to own, don't make an entry for that one.

I still don't understand how the new system works.

Jerry, if you win and decline, all of your accumulated “tries” get wiped out, across all sizes.

The way I understand it, every lottery you try and lose earns you an extra entry into the next uke in the same size that you enter the lottery for. So if you only want a Super Soprano, say, you should only be entering those lotteries. If you enter every one and win a size you didn’t really want, all of your “progress” on other size lottos is gone.

Someone please chime in if this isn’t correct! I’m also sure Kevin would be happy to answer questions about the way it works if you ask him.

Jerry, if you win and decline, all of your accumulated “tries” get wiped out, across all sizes.

The way I understand it, every lottery you try and lose earns you an extra entry into the next uke in the same size that you enter the lottery for. So if you only want a Super Soprano, say, you should only be entering those lotteries. If you enter every one and win a size you didn’t really want, all of your “progress” on other size lottos is gone.

Someone please chime in if this isn’t correct! I’m also sure Kevin would be happy to answer questions about the way it works if you ask him.

Too complicated. I think one is enough for me.

Personally I would say only enter for the ukes you actually want to win and are willing to pay for.

:agree: This. Even with the old system, I was only entering for the ones I would truly want to pay for.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a sure they are all worthy additions to anyone’s collection, but I don’t believe in just trying for all of them, just in hopes I get one. Like I said in the OP, though, this week was a special lot for me!

Top Bottom