Nice Strap Buttons

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I like to straps on tenors and heavier banjo ukes, but I usually remove them before putting them back in their cases. The straps are generally tight-fitting, and I'm not comfortable with the pressure I have to exert on the strap pin. A slip-on/slip-off connector seemed to be ideal.

I ordered a pair of these from Amazon for $8.99 and three pairs from eBay (China) for $8.37. The ones from Amazon seem to be very good quality, but it will take a few weeks to receive the buttons from China.

The button half attaches to the uke with a single screw, just like any other button. Unlike any other button, you cannot use it with a strap that does not have the matching half. I'll have to decide what uke and what strap will be forever associated with each other. The matching half attaches permanently to the strap. Pull on that little knob to release the lock, and you can slip-on or slip off the strap.

When I receive the others from China, I'll let you know how they compare with the Amazon version. When I decide what uke and strap I'm going to use, I'll take pictures and post them.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KXPFLHR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Look like Schaller strap locks at about half (or a sixth) the price. I have them on my heavier instruments, but took them off of my ukes since they felt big, and I’m not so worried about the strap coming off of a light instrument. My straps go on and off a non-pickup pin easily enough for me. What I haven’t found is a good quick-release for a plug-in pin.

When testing out give the locks a listen as they can be rattley.

Look like Schaller strap locks at about half (or a sixth) the price. I have them on my heavier instruments, but took them off of my ukes since they felt big, and I’m not so worried about the strap coming off of a light instrument. My straps go on and off a non-pickup pin easily enough for me. What I haven’t found is a good quick-release for a plug-in pin.

When testing out give the locks a listen as they can be rattley.

Yes, they are more protruding. I like the quick on and off, though.

If you really want something removable, there are magnetic strapbuttons. I dont use them but did hear often that someone likes them

Top Bottom