NVUD: 1970s? Kamaka White Label Soprano

YogiTom

Reaction score
AC224558-483E-41CB-99D8-F3B3C91D92DD.jpg 7544F819-8D8F-4ED6-A300-0ADE7D3BEE76.jpg B9EFE69C-03F4-4C12-BF64-D5F2DECB2DA1.jpg 1EB8593C-9691-41F9-97D5-95E1A2745E14.jpg ED16505F-A00C-4A83-8FAB-7CF856D19486.jpg

My last one until the custom TyDe in a few months, and I only got it because of a trade for my Mele tenor (thanks rhiggie for the trade!).

After replacing the Kamaka black nylon strings with Worth Browns and cleaning the friction pegs up a bit, wiping down the uke with a soft cloth and distilled water, and removing and cleaning up the saddle, I’m already addicted to this vintage uke business! Thinking of replacing the pegs with Waverlys at some point, but that’ll have to wait for now.

All koa, single piece for the top, bottom and sides respectively, with a very slight fretboard. Other than the large cracks which seem stable, and the slight separation on the back near one crack, it is in very good condition. The grain has a simple beauty to it and has a well-worn look, only possible from a life of use.

This thing sings and jangles all at once, perhaps the aged wood at work? The sustain is easily 6 seconds across the strings, with the 2nd string tuned to E being particularly resonant. No idea why, but the whole instrument vibrates so strongly when that string is played open.

Intonation seems fine, though I need to wait for the strings to settle before I can really judge.

If anyone has any idea what year this might be from, I’d appreciate it. I guessed 70s in the title, but that is based on nothing beyond my own guess from the weathered appearance and the limited info on the Kamaka website about their vintage ukuleles.

I can’t say I was ever in the market for a vintage uke, but this one just makes me smile. I plan to find a local luthier who might be able to clean up the cracks, frets, and separation on the back, but until then I’ll enjoy it for all the imperfections. :shaka:

Last edited:
Cool. Your ukulele family has grown by leaps & bounds lately. You've got a sweet collection going. I changed out the strings on my long neck soprano for Worth Browns and I like them. It's nice to see you giving that older uke some LTC.

I’m digging that bridge, such simplicity and elegance. And that 2 knots at the back sure added some characters to the looks. Congrats! What a find! I think you are deep in UAS, in case you are unaware of it yourself!

I’m digging that bridge, such simplicity and elegance. And that 2 knots at the back sure added some characters to the looks. Congrats! What a find! I think you are deep in UAS, in case you are unaware of it yourself!

I agree! While I love the look of a good book matched set, I also really dig the wabi sabi that using one piece of wood yields.

As for UAS, you’ve got that right...but I tend to get this way about things I’m passionate about. I started making mead in my closet 12 years ago and now have close to 200 lbs of different honey in my garage and work at one of the best meaderies (imho) in the country. All because I went head first into making it!

Recorded a quick sound sample. Fair warning, it is rough...recorded on iPhone, whistling and signing levels are all over the place, the action is stupid low from an uneven saddle that is probably the original, with original wonky frets and friction pegs cranked tight.

I still love every second of playing it. :)

As an aside, while I don’t feel confident enough to repair the cracks myself (yet) I am going to cut and fit a new saddle from I bleached bone myself. Should be a fun DIY project to get me started! And if I mess up, the luthier can just have one more project to see to.

I agree! While I love the look of a good book matched set, I also really dig the wabi sabi that using one piece of wood yields.

As for UAS, you’ve got that right...but I tend to get this way about things I’m passionate about. I started making mead in my closet 12 years ago and now have close to 200 lbs of different honey in my garage and work at one of the best meaderies (imho) in the country. All because I went head first into making it!

I see no wrong and plenty of rights in immersing yourself in what you love to do. I never try mead before and I think I need to try it out. Drinking, I mean. Haha.

Recorded a quick sound sample. Fair warning, it is rough...recorded on iPhone, whistling and signing levels are all over the place, the action is stupid low from an uneven saddle that is probably the original, with original wonky frets and friction pegs cranked tight.

I still love every second of playing

As an aside, while I don’t feel confident enough to repair the cracks myself (yet) I am going to cut and fit a new saddle from I bleached bone myself. Should be a fun DIY project to get me started! And if I mess up, the luthier can just have one more project to see to.

Nice playing, singing and whistling! The sustain is definitely there lingering despite all the issues you mentioned.
Sounds like you got a plan going right there!

That’s a beauty! Congrats. I recently had the gotoh UPT’s installed and I put Aquila reds on my formerly abused gold label. I highly recommend this combo.

That’s a beauty! Congrats. I recently had the gotoh UPT’s installed and I put Aquila reds on my formerly abused gold label. I highly recommend this combo.

I was thinking of going UPTs, but I am a little afraid of the added weight bothering me. I think I’m going to install some Waverly frictions instead...after a practice run doing the same on my Ohana sopranino! :)

Congratulations! What a classic little ukulele, I'm quite envious! :D

Thanks! Like I said, I was definitely not in the market for a vintage uke, but I can see why people love them so much. Kinda like the thrill of fixing up an old car, or restoring something to its former glory.

I’m also a bit of a history nerd, and just imagining the possibilities of who may have held or owned this over the years and all the love it has gotten really adds to its charm and appeal to me. Who knows? Perhaps this was one of the ukuleles George Harrison bought for friends during one of his infamous Kamaka store buyouts? A man can dream (a little dream ;) )

You can always use the new Graph Tech tuners if weight is a consideration. My friend, Brian Griffin, of Griffin ukuleles just bought a number of sets and is very impressed by them.

You can always use the new Graph Tech tuners if weight is a consideration. My friend, Brian Griffin, of Griffin ukuleles just bought a number of sets and is very impressed by them.

Link for anyone else interested: http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/ratio/ratio-tune-a-lele-for-ukulele

Very neat! It is more modern looking than I would want to put on this, which is why I was leaning towards the Waverlys, but I might just look at these for the Ohana sopranino. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom