Pono Confused

about2

Reaction score
Perhaps this has been asked before - but I didn’t find the answer - but can someone please explain the differences between the various Pono models?

There’s just plain Pono, then deluxe models, then master series, then 5 series, then performance models, oh and not to mention pro classics.

And I may have missed one or two.

Just trying to understand the subtle differences.

For example, I think the difference between a deluxe model and the plain model is a gloss finish.

Thanks

I don’t know that it is necessarily an easy answer. The base to deluxe does progress from satin to a gloss finish, but some deluxe models (but not all) add binding to the front for example. The features also change from year to year in some cases. I’ve only been looking at them for a few weeks, so have a very short window of observation. Deluxe to pro classics seem to step from open geared to sealed geared tuning machines on the Tenors I have seen, but I have also seen a concert pro classic with friction pegs.

I can sympathize. It can be hard telling how one model is better than another. Uke makers don't use those comparison charts with check marks. Generally speaking, the better model will have a higher price. As for what "better" really means, that's sometimes a matter of opinion. Does a feature affect the sound or the appearance? Does a rosette make it better? It does if you like rosettes. I've found that if I wait too long deciding whether to buy or not, someone will beat me to it. HMS is a good example of that. Many ukes are displayed and sold within twenty-four hours.

I like both looks and sound in my ukes, so I try to strike a compromise with the price.

Speaking of sound, I'm amazed at the variety of different sounds produced by different ukuleles. As I play one and then switch to another, there is always a different sound.

Thanks. I appreciate the responses. Makes me feel I’m not alone.

It would be nice to have a graduated system so buyers could have a sense of consistency. Then again every uke is different so perhaps each should be judged on its own. It just makes it challenging when you are buying one without being able to play it personally.

Thanks. I appreciate the responses. Makes me feel I’m not alone.

It would be nice to have a graduated system so buyers could have a sense of consistency. Then again every uke is different so perhaps each should be judged on its own. It just makes it challenging when you are buying one without being able to play it personally.

A graduated "system" would only be mildly helpful as many features can be merely personal preference—spruce vs cedar—or mere bling. I've often read reviews and manufacturer specs, thought it was the one, but when I actually tried the darn thing I was underwhelmed but loved another model, sometimes the less expensive one. If you're buying mail-order be ready to pay lots of shipping fees if you're a picky sort. And there's other possible complications. Among the 6 instruments I bought during the last year, 3 were damaged in shipment! One was was actually partially crushed while another had two big cracks and the shipping box looked like a dad burn accordion!

Unfortunate model overkill there. That's why I love Kamaka with their different sizes and three clearly distinguishable bling levels. And I don't think they build many of the deluxe versions too. Keep it simple and great.

Top Bottom