New strings? Help!

lolsara

Reaction score
So I have the classic concert uke from Empire Music and overall I've been fairly satisfied with it- at least for the price. However, I've been thinking of putting new strings on. Most recommend aquila nylgut, at least from what I've been reading. Any suggestions? I'd just like to get a better sound and I think that new strings would be cheaper than a new ukulele, right? Haha.

All I can tell you is to try them . . . along with Worths, they are probably the most popular replacement strings for a starter instrument. You're gonna end up trying different sets before you find one that meets your needs. Aquilla will more than likely give you an increase in volume and tone clarity as well playability. Just remember that everyone has a favorite string set be it Aquila, Worth, D'Addario, etc.

I guess I need to make a trip to the music store! Hopefully I can find a perfect match... but I think pretty much any upgrade will be better than the current strings.

Most of the music stores I've been to usually don't carry Aquilla or Worth. These strings can be found at a number of online sites. Stores will probably carry Martin, GHS and possibly D'Addario. Give 'em a call before you trek on down there.

I guess I need to make a trip to the music store! Hopefully I can find a perfect match... but I think pretty much any upgrade will be better than the current strings.

Us folk in the UK don't have as much choice when it come to popping into your local music store, some don't even have ukuleles, so your best bet is online.

New strings

The best thing to do is buy the strings on-line. Most music store will have only d'addario and martin strings for uke (if they have any at all), neither are very good in my opinion. I really like the GHS black strings, and the KALA reds with the nylon wound strings. They have both at www.ukuleleworld.com as well as the aquilas and worths. I'd say buy a pack of each and after a few months you'll know which ones you like the best, and which sound best on your uke!

Top Bottom