PDA

View Full Version : New Iuke

The Pashmeister
05-28-2019, 01:47 AM
Hi there.

Just come back from a holiday in China with a new Iuke in my hand luggage.
It's a tobacco sunburst standard shaped uke.
I've seen a few terms used for the smaller-sized ukes and wondered what the difference is - piccolo, sopranino and sopranissimo.
It has though body stringing rather than tie-bar (I presume this is a change to the specification)
Also, this came with Aquila strings, but tuned to standard gCEA tuning (not an octave up as I've seen mentioned many times on this forum and in reviews). I tried tuning it one octave higher and snapped a string.
I've ordered a new set of Aquila strings - there are 2 different sets available - 95U and 94U.
Apparently the 95U are tuned to standard tunings and the 94U are one octave higher.
I've ordered the 95U.
It came without a gig bag so I'm looking for ideas. The official Iuke gig bag is available but I wondered if anyone had any unusual ideas for gig bags for these?

Jerryc41
05-28-2019, 03:12 AM
Ohana makes the soprano, sopranino, and sopranissimo in pineapple style - cute!

I prefer hard cases. You can pad a soprano case to accept a sopranino.

Sopranino -
https://ohana-music.com/product/sk-21/

Sopranissimo -
https://ohana-music.com/product/onino-solid-mahogany-sopranissimo/

glennerd
05-28-2019, 04:27 AM
Sopranino is about 11" scale length, sopranissimo is about 10" scale length, at least in Ohana terms. Piccolo, I'm not sure, but probably 10" too. I think it depends on who you're buying from as the names for sub-soprano scales don't always seem consistently used.

prb035
05-28-2019, 11:35 AM
Hi there.

Just come back from a holiday in China with a new Iuke in my hand luggage.
It's a tobacco sunburst standard shaped uke.
I've seen a few terms used for the smaller-sized ukes and wondered what the difference is - piccolo, sopranino and sopranissimo.
It has though body stringing rather than tie-bar (I presume this is a change to the specification)
Also, this came with Aquila strings, but tuned to standard gCEA tuning (not an octave up as I've seen mentioned many times on this forum and in reviews). I tried tuning it one octave higher and snapped a string.
I've ordered a new set of Aquila strings - there are 2 different sets available - 95U and 94U.
Apparently the 95U are tuned to standard tunings and the 94U are one octave higher.
I've ordered the 95U.
It came without a gig bag so I'm looking for ideas. The official Iuke gig bag is available but I wondered if anyone had any unusual ideas for gig bags for these?

Congratulations Pashmeister! Photos please! :D

The Pashmeister
05-28-2019, 10:26 PM
Thank you.

I'll upload photos when I've restrung it. It looks a bit sad at the moment with only 3 strings :(

fowl
05-29-2019, 02:49 AM
Does anyone know somewhere in the USA where you can buy the 95U strings?

The Pashmeister
05-30-2019, 01:12 AM
No idea in the USA. Mine came from Original Artisans in the UK.

The Pashmeister
05-30-2019, 01:14 AM
A couple of photos as requested. I'll also be doing a review shortly. It's a complicated little thing.118503118504

prb035
05-30-2019, 10:42 AM
How cute! And so tiny, well done :D