Zebrawood Ohana Soprano demo

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
Here is the new Ohana SK-25Z. It is a solid zebrawood soprano. It is getting to be REALLY popular. And it's a bargain.

Here is what Russ calls a "quick and sloppy" video of me playing it.

I Am A Pilgrim

It is a beautiful instrument to look at and to play.

KEN

Ken,

Are you going to do a review video? Or perhaps you can just give your quick thoughts about the instrument here?

Ken,

Are you going to do a review video? Or perhaps you can just give your quick thoughts about the instrument here?

Pippin is going to do an in-depth review. However, here are a few thoughts.

When I first took it out of its box about 3 weeks ago I was not that impressed. It looked good, very good. It was well made too. the sound, however, was a bit tight and the sound seemed a bit harsh. Lots of people tried it at the Belgian Festival and I have played it quite a bit in the last couple of days. It now sounds wonderful. The sound has mellowed (maybe its the strings) and it now seems to have a really positive, precise tone with quite a bit of depth.

It is a proper soprano size and is a really elegant shape. I like it a lot. Some shops in Europe have ordered lots of them.

KEN

Ken-thanks for the information. I have been on the fence for getting one of these and your review is a BIG help!

I think I may get one of these and sell my Kala Mango Soprano..

Great reviews and playing on your videos. Looking forward to checking out more of them.

My buddy has a zebra wood soprano made by Vineyard. Looks a lot like the Ohana.

It took Scott's a couple of months before the sound really came into its own. That uke gets a pretty good reception whenever he pulls it out. It would get even better if knew how to play.

The little hawaiian guy is flipping out in my head right now, screaming,"BUY IT NOW BRUDDAH, BUY IT NOW!!"

must get job........

Great vid! Ohana is very lucky to have you as a representative. :D

Took the zebrawood soprano for a spin at MGM's booth at NY Uke Fest yesterday. Really sings when it's fingerpicked! And the construction is super-clean.

I like it a lot. Some shops in Europe have ordered lots of them.

KEN

Hope it comes to the UK.
Are there any Ohana dealer here since the Ukulele shop closed down?

Here is the new Ohana SK-25Z. It is a solid zebrawood soprano. It is getting to be REALLY popular. And it's a bargain.

Here is what Russ calls a "quick and sloppy" video of me playing it.

I Am A Pilgrim

KEN

that is a beauuuuuutiful soprano! beautiful playing too, ken!

I can't believe I did it, but I've asked a Canadan distributor of Ohana to sell me the next one they get in; expected in the next week or two. I'm not fond of the soprano, either. But it's so damned attractive, I just wanted one. Ah well, if my fingers can't fit properly, it can replace that velvet Elvis hanging in my work room...

I can't believe I did it, but I've asked a Canadan distributor of Ohana to sell me the next one they get in; expected in the next week or two. I'm not fond of the soprano, either. But it's so damned attractive, I just wanted one. Ah well, if my fingers can't fit properly, it can replace that velvet Elvis hanging in my work room...

I don't think you will be disappointed. People straight away either love it or hate it. Most love it.

I couldn't resist!

I've ordered one too. Couldn't resist the zebrawood Ohana. I saw and played a Vineland Zebrawood uke in a store once, and was impressed with it's sound and looks. Didn't know anything about Vineland though, and was already in love with the Kala Flame Maple long neck soprano. I couldn't justify buying two that day, but it did have an impact on me.

I am also getting used to the soprano size with my Kala Kiwi. It's taking a bit of time and practice, but I think it's getting easier for me. I really want to try all the different sizes out before committing to a really expensive uke. I don't have a concert sized uke yet (just a concert neck on soprano body).

There is a great appeal to the portability of those sopranos.

–Lori

Ohana awaits returning Zebras

Quite a few have come through the Uke Republic, we love the grain variation in the wood. Some have broad ribbons of grain others darker color contrast. Very glossy finish. Just beautiful! I like the tone as well, quite a lot of volume for the soprano. Mr. Wu at Ohana strives for a well made instrument with a lot of sound. So sad that we are out until sometime in July. Ohana sold out and is waiting on the next shipment.:eek:

Top Bottom