PDA

View Full Version : Slow Shipping

Jerryc41
05-29-2019, 05:16 AM
I hate it when a seller charges a fairly high amount for shipping and then sends it slowly. I've gotten ukes from Hawaii in two days, but I've waited a week or more to have one shipped crosscountry. One that was sent from LA yesterday ($75) won't get to me till next Tuesday, yet one from Hawaii will arrive tomorrow.

Lacole
05-29-2019, 05:26 AM
The ukulele sent from Hawai’i would have been sent by air, whereas the other was sent by truck. I’ve tracked an ukulele from Richmond BC, Regina SK, Winnipeg MB, Kitchener ON before it got to me. That Ukulele was in more Canadian cities than I have.

Another annoying thing is to have a parcel sent, but they do not give you a tracking number so you can watch it come.

glennerd
05-29-2019, 05:31 AM
I'm used to sometimes slow shipping from mainland US and it really surprised me how fast I could get something from the UK. Then I figured it out that if you put a body of water between you and the seller, you remove the option to ship by truck (for the whole trip anyway).

AQUATOPAZ
05-29-2019, 05:32 AM
I hate it when a seller charges a fairly high amount for shipping and then sends it slowly. I've gotten ukes from Hawaii in two days, but I've waited a week or more to have one shipped crosscountry. One that was sent from LA yesterday ($75) won't get to me till next Tuesday, yet one from Hawaii will arrive tomorrow.

One reason could be that Hawaii, being surrounded by water, ships everything by air and considers the expensive shipping rates to do so a "Cost of doing business", whereas a private seller, not having discounted rates due to seldom shipping, can only get the higher rates for ground, which are the rates they are charging you. It is also possible that , though a retailer in Hawaii probably stocks shipping supplies and has the personnel to handle shipping, the private seller has to go out to purchase the shipping supplies to safely ship your instrument, due to limited space and not knowing when and if the instrument will sell won't do this until it does sell, and has to squeeze time in between work and other responsibilities to package and ship your item, taking maybe a few days to ship.

Jerryc41
05-29-2019, 05:47 AM
One reason could be that Hawaii, being surrounded by water, ships everything by air and considers the expensive shipping rates to do so a "Cost of doing business"...

This was a private seller in Hawaii, and he charged for shipping - the same rate he charged me a year ago, $115.

I figured the size and weight of what I'm getting from LA, and Priority Mail (2 days) would cost $69.75. Ground shipping would cost $32.59.

AQUATOPAZ
05-29-2019, 06:00 AM
This was a private seller in Hawaii, and he charged for shipping - the same rate he charged me a year ago, $115.

I figured the size and weight of what I'm getting from LA, and Priority Mail (2 days) would cost $69.75. Ground shipping would cost $32.59.

The Post Office actually says it "usually" will arrive within 1-3 days. Depending on the path it took, holidays, weather, and the reasonableness of taking a couple of days to purchase shipping supplies, and package and ship, a week doesn't seem outlandish. First world problems.

Rllink
05-29-2019, 06:02 AM
Sometimes they ship it UPS or FedEx and then they do a handoff to USPS along the way. That always adds a lot of time and the tracking usually ends at the handoff. I wonder what the benefit is of having USPS deliver it instead of their own people. Why not just send it USPS if that is what they are going to do? I don't know, but every package that I've ever gotten that came that way took forever.

Jerryc41
05-29-2019, 06:17 AM
Sometimes they ship it UPS or FedEx and then they do a handoff to USPS along the way. That always adds a lot of time and the tracking usually ends at the handoff. I wonder what the benefit is of having USPS deliver it instead of their own people. Why not just send it USPS if that is what they are going to do? I don't know, but every package that I've ever gotten that came that way took forever.

Yeah, it's strange how that works. I had a package that UPS said had been delivered to the PO, but the PO said they didn't have it. It was two more days before I received it. I've been at the PO when UPS delivered packages. He makes just one stop instead of a dozen, so it must be cheaper that way.

Rllink
05-29-2019, 06:25 AM
Yeah, it's strange how that works. I had a package that UPS said had been delivered to the PO, but the PO said they didn't have it. It was two more days before I received it. I've been at the PO when UPS delivered packages. He makes just one stop instead of a dozen, so it must be cheaper that way.

That makes sense.

kohanmike
05-29-2019, 06:35 AM
I recently made an order from a dealer in Shanghai who sent it to Hong Kong, but instead of going over the Pacific Ocean to Los Angeles, it went the opposite direction to Dubai, Germany, New Jersey, Chicago, then Los Angeles. Makes no sense to me.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Joyful Uke
05-29-2019, 06:42 AM
With the bad weather in lots of places in the US, it's not surprising that things are moving slowly.

When it has mattered to me if something arrived by a particular date, I've made that part of the sales deal. No sale unless it was shipped in a way that got to me by that date, (with me paying the appropriate amount extra, if needed.) When I don't have a reason to have it by a particular date, though, I just let it do its thing, as long as it gets to me safely.

Jerryc41
05-29-2019, 07:07 AM
I recently made an order from a dealer in Shanghai who sent it to Hong Kong, but instead of going over the Pacific Ocean to Los Angeles, it went the opposite direction to Dubai, Germany, New Jersey, Chicago, then Los Angeles. Makes no sense to me.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Wow! That's quite a trip.

gochugogi
05-29-2019, 07:50 AM
I had a RC TT6 sent from California and it took over a month to get to Honolulu. When it finally got here the box and crushed like an accordion and the instrument had two large cracks in it...

Jerryc41
05-29-2019, 07:57 AM
I had a RC TT6 sent from California and it took over a month to get to Honolulu. When it finally got here the box and crushed like an accordion and the instrument had two large cracks in it...

But you live on Hawaii!!! :D

glennerd
05-29-2019, 08:49 AM
At the other extreme, I still don't understand how I got a ukulele from Japan to Canada in two days via Japan Post / Canada Post. That's just stunningly fast.

Jerryc41
05-29-2019, 09:00 AM
At the other extreme, I still don't understand how I got a ukulele from Japan to Canada in two days via Japan Post / Canada Post. That's just stunningly fast.

Very efficient.

Col50
05-29-2019, 09:59 AM
Not sold any Ukes but I have bought and sold a lot of guitars which are of course considerably larger and way more heavier than a Uke.

Shipped anywhere in the UK for the equivalent of $25 and within the EU for $40 all with 5 day max delivery.

Got my Risa Uke case direct from Germany in two days.

Would never ever buy anything direct from the USA far to costly for delivery and then we get stung for import duty.

bkrownd
05-29-2019, 10:21 AM
One reason could be that Hawaii, being surrounded by water, ships everything by air and considers the expensive shipping rates to do so a "Cost of doing business",

Beware - some people don't understand that there IS slow-boat shipping to/from Hawaii, and all the shipping services can be a little deceptive about that. You have to make sure that something to/from Hawaii is going by air, because the slow boat takes 2-10 weeks. (they will only quote you the best case senario) Yes, I've waited 10 weeks for a package that got on the slow boat once.

stevejfc
05-29-2019, 10:23 AM
I'm just happy that 1: it arrives, and 2: that it arrives not damaged.

AQUATOPAZ
05-29-2019, 10:29 AM
Beware - some people don't understand that there IS slow-boat shipping to/from Hawaii, and all the shipping services can be a little deceptive about that. You have to make sure that something to/from Hawaii is going by air, because the slow boat takes 2-10 weeks. Yes, I've waited 10 weeks for a package that got on the slow boat once.

Interesting. I used to regularly ship wholesale goods to Hawaii UPS and slow boat shipping wasn't an option given by them, only air. Of course, container and partials in mixed containers weren't something we considered. UPS, FEDEX, DHL and USPS were all we considered.

glennerd
05-29-2019, 11:41 AM
Beware - some people don't understand that there IS slow-boat shipping to/from Hawaii, and all the shipping services can be a little deceptive about that. You have to make sure that something to/from Hawaii is going by air, because the slow boat takes 2-10 weeks. (they will only quote you the best case senario) Yes, I've waited 10 weeks for a package that got on the slow boat once.

Don't you also have that weird import rule where foreign items have to go to the mainland USA before they go to Hawaii?

Also, I've had things ship pretty fast from China to Canada and then get stuck in a customs backlog for 6+ weeks too.

bkrownd
05-29-2019, 12:10 PM
Don't you also have that weird import rule where foreign items have to go to the mainland USA before they go to Hawaii?

Also, I've had things ship pretty fast from China to Canada and then get stuck in a customs backlog for 6+ weeks too.

I think customs either only randomly chooses a tiny fraction of things to inspect or has some particular target items. I order stuff from various countries and they usually arrive in 3-4 days with no sign of physical inspection.

Rllink
05-29-2019, 03:29 PM
My thing was that when we lived in Puerto Rico a lot of sellers in the US would not ship there. So I would choose USPS if I could and have it shipped to my home in Iowa. I was having my mail forwarded and USPS would forward the packages to my address in PR. It took three days for a package to get forwarded. Why can't the sellers just send it there? Same USPS, same UPS, same FedEx, I don't understand. Same with Hawaii and Alaska, I see a lot of times sellers say that they won't ship to Alaska or Hawaii. They all have the same carriers, what is the problem?

gochugogi
05-29-2019, 03:43 PM
But you live on Hawaii!!! :D

HMS was out of stock—they said for 3 or 4 months—and I got impatient and bought the last one on earth, which happened to be in California. Should have waited! But I've moved on to greener pastures...

RafterGirl
05-29-2019, 05:57 PM
My peeve at the moment is Amazon. I ordered three items last Wednesday. One item will arrive this Saturday. The other two items haven’t even shipped yet. All three were listed as in stock and fulfilled by Amazon. I hate waiting.

gochugogi
05-29-2019, 06:32 PM
That's a feature and not a defect! Amazon slow ages all products before shipping, thereby insuring you receive it at the optimal time.

YogiTom
05-29-2019, 07:45 PM
... if you put a body of water between you and the seller, you remove the option to ship by truck (for the whole trip anyway).

And yet, when we ship mead to customers in Hawaii, FedEx gives us three options: overnight, 2nd day Air, and “ground”. They must know something we don’t! :rolleyes:

Jerryc41
05-29-2019, 10:23 PM

It's the same with eBay items from China. They usually offer free shipping, and that can mean less that a week, or more than a month. I just don't like paying for fast and getting slow.

Remember the old song "Slow Boat to China"? They're still slow - no hydrofoils crossing the Pacific.

Jerryc41
05-29-2019, 10:24 PM
And yet, when we ship mead to customers in Hawaii, FedEx gives us three options: overnight, 2nd day Air, and “ground”. They must know something we don’t! :rolleyes:

I'd like to see how a ground shipment to Hawaii would work. :)

glennerd
05-30-2019, 05:44 AM
It's the same with eBay items from China. They usually offer free shipping, and that can mean less that a week, or more than a month. I just don't like paying for fast and getting slow.

Remember the old song "Slow Boat to China"? They're still slow - no hydrofoils crossing the Pacific.

I seem to remember a few years back they figured out that if they ran the ships a little bit slower they would save a ton of fuel, So they might be even slower now!

Rllink
05-30-2019, 07:00 AM
I'd like to see how a ground shipment to Hawaii would work. :)Semi pulls container to to port, container to ship, ship to Hawaii. We shipped a container of supplies to Puerto Rico after hurricane Maria. That was how it went and that was considered ground shipping. I think that ground means that it doesn't go by air.

gochugogi
05-30-2019, 07:20 AM
I use UPS and FedEX ground from Hawaii most of the time. It's a lot faster than USPS Parcel Select.

bkrownd
05-30-2019, 08:23 AM
I think that ground means that it doesn't go by air.

UPS ground goes by air over the water. It's usually 3 day service.

slackkey007
05-30-2019, 08:54 AM
This is the very reason why I ship via USPS Priority Mail Express 2 day shipping and pay the higher shipping price whenever I sell any of my ukes. Even when I buy a pre-owned uke, I will pay the difference of what the seller was willing to pay for shipping to have the uke shipped via USPS Priority Mail Express 2 day shipping. The longer it takes for an instrument to be shipped, there's a higher probability of it getting damaged for many reasons.

For a private seller, I think I offer a great deal for the buyer in regards to the price of the instrument including the hard case and the included USPS Priority Mail Express 2 day shipping, insurance, and professional packing. Every single instrument that I've sold and shipped within the U.S. and Internationally over the years arrived undamaged and in the condition described in my for sale ad. Each buyer has thanked me when they received their ukes undamaged and complimented on the great packing and fast shipping.:shaka:

Rllink
05-30-2019, 10:31 AM
UPS ground goes by air over the water. It's usually 3 day service.

I'm wrong again. Never ends. Story of my life. ;)

RafterGirl
05-30-2019, 03:23 PM
This is the very reason why I ship via USPS Priority Mail Express 2 day shipping and pay the higher shipping price whenever I sell any of my ukes. Even when I buy a pre-owned uke, I will pay the difference of what the seller was willing to pay for shipping to have the uke shipped via USPS Priority Mail Express 2 day shipping. The longer it takes for an instrument to be shipped, there's a higher probability of it getting damaged for many reasons.

For a private seller, I think I offer a great deal for the buyer in regards to the price of the instrument including the hard case and the included USPS Priority Mail Express 2 day shipping, insurance, and professional packing. Every single instrument that I've sold and shipped within the U.S. and Internationally over the years arrived undamaged and in the condition described in my for sale ad. Each buyer has thanked me when they received their ukes undamaged and complimented on the great packing and fast shipping.:shaka:

I also use USPS 2 Day Priority when I sell a ukulele. The nice lady at my post office told me she would never recommend regular ground shipping for a musical instrument. She said that the 2 Day Priority has a weight limit of either 50 or 70 pounds (can't remember which). Ground can be much heavier packages. She said that even though my ukulele is well packed & in a hard case, there's always a chance that a 200 pound package might get thrown on top of it.

One of my three items that I ordered from Amazon last Wednesday arrived today. The other two still haven't shipped. Ugh.

YogiTom
05-30-2019, 06:55 PM
I’m waiting on some supplies to ream put some friction peg holes to make way for UPTs, and instead of arriving yesterday as expected, USPS tracking now says “package is still en route to the next distribution location and will be arriving later than expected”...and the company I ordered from is only a few hours away...:wallbash:

Jerryc41
05-30-2019, 11:48 PM
I seem to remember a few years back they figured out that if they ran the ships a little bit slower they would save a ton of fuel, So they might be even slower now!

Courtesy of Google -
"Current bunker, that’s the technical term, prices for fuel oil are between $309 and $340 per tonne, depending on where you are in the world.
A cargo ship can use anything from 1 tonne per hour to 16 tonnes per hour for the largest ships traveling at 23 knots.
So a super large ship like the new 399 metre vessels could cost as much as $5440 per hour, $130560 per day of steaming."

glennerd
05-31-2019, 02:05 AM
Courtesy of Google -
"Current bunker, that’s the technical term, prices for fuel oil are between $309 and $340 per tonne, depending on where you are in the world.
A cargo ship can use anything from 1 tonne per hour to 16 tonnes per hour for the largest ships traveling at 23 knots.
So a super large ship like the new 399 metre vessels could cost as much as $5440 per hour, $130560 per day of steaming."

Haha, you know, I suspected that would come back to me! I referred to the colloquial ton, not the literal tonne! The article I just read quoted an example which worked out to saving about 568 tonnes, $250k (2010 prices, so more than a few years ago), and an extra four days from Hong Kong to Long Beach. Up from 10 days to 14, so the crew is going squirrelly and doing who knows what with your package. :p

Fuel is cheaper now so not sure whether they stuck to the slow speeds.

Jerryc41
05-31-2019, 02:12 AM
Semi pulls container to to port, container to ship, ship to Hawaii. We shipped a container of supplies to Puerto Rico after hurricane Maria. That was how it went and that was considered ground shipping. I think that ground means that it doesn't go by air.

We were on the Big Island years ago, and we saw a lot of Harleys riding around. A couple of times a year, they load their bikes into shipping containers on the various Hawaiian islands and have them shipped to the Big Island. Then they ride together. I bet they wish there was a bridge. : )

Jerryc41
05-31-2019, 02:15 AM
I also use USPS 2 Day Priority when I sell a ukulele.

Yes, I also ship Priority Mail. The less time it spends traveling and being handled, the better. Shipping time is anywhere from one to three days anywhere in the country. I hate the thought of my uke inside a hot 18-wheeler traveling 70 MPH on the Interstates.