HELP: going to buy a spruce top tenor

bry

Reaction score
when i sell the clara i am going to get a spruce top tenor. my choices are the KoAloha opio, a Pono atd-sp, or the Romero Creations satin replica. any info on these would be nice. thanks!

I had a KoAloha Opio spruce (concert size) for all of 24 hours before deciding it wasn’t for me. It felt great and sounded fine with what I’ve heard described as that KoAloha boom, but it just didn’t wow me. And, super anal/personal complaint, but I found the markers on the fretboard to be stupidly oversized for something I would never be looking at.

If it were me, I’d go for the Pono.

thanks for the quick respose. out of the 3 the pono is what i am leaning towards. mainly for the radius fretboard.

thanks for the quick respose. out of the 3 the pono is what i am leaning towards. mainly for the radius fretboard.

I was going to mention that, but I wasn’t sure if that mode has one. I say go for it! (Again, just one novice’s opinion)

Do you have the opportunity to play these models? The variations between instruments, though less with mass production models, can still be surprising and completely destroy any "consensus" you might reach here. (I.E. If everyone says the Romero is "best" and you get a crappy one the KoAloha still might be better, even if it didn't receive the love.)

My KoAloha acacia long neck concert is my best uke, it has a great sound, to me, but I have no knowledge of the spruce model.

The Romero Tiny Tenor is one that I've been tempted with at various times, I like the sound samples that I've heard of it - your model I haven't listened to.

Pono, I've not had one, but their sound doesn't do it for me.

Just personal thoughts. :cool:

I do not see how anyone can say what is the right Uke for you.

Only you can by playing them then buy the one which works for you.

Me I always wanted a Fender Stratocaster so went out and played a variety but could not live with the necks. Then tried a PRS which was worst, then played a few others including a Gordon Smith which was nice but once I played a Gibson LP I stopped looking elsewhere.

You will find what feels and sounds right for you only by playing the instrument.

I have two ukes - a tenor Koahola Opio Spruce top and a concert Koaloha koa.

Before getting the Opio, I seriously considered the Koaloha koa tenor. I LOVE my opio spruce top, more than my Koaloha koa. It sounds fantastic and the workmanship is stellar. My opinion is that it can't be beat for the money. I bought it from Mim who was great to work with.

Good luck!

Ya. I had a similar experience. I had a Koaloha Ktm-oo and it didn’t do it for me. I also had a opio long neck concert that I regret getting rid of. I know it’s up to me and I need to play all these models but i definitely think it’s worth asking others. I have no way to get a hands on experience with these ukuleles. I do like the sound of the opio spruce from the videos. I might have to get two.

What is the overall consensus on volume between the opio and the pono? Is the koaloha opio louder?

The radius on the Pono is very shallow. If memory serves me, it's a 16" radius.

Last edited:
Top Bottom