First Flea - way to date?

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I won't do a NUD post on this. It's a Flea. Y'all know what they look like. :cool:

So I got this soprano Flea "used" off Reverb but I can't find a flaw or mark on it (except the friction tuners - oh, how I hate^h^h^h^h, really dislike, friction tuners :uhoh:).

The number inside says "M30" and "31000" . Is that a serial number or just a model number?

The web site currently says "Over 31,000 made, proudly in the USA." Maybe I got a practically brand new one? Dunno.

I will post a video later doing a quick comparison of the stock D'Addario Nyltech which were still on it vs the Living Waters I just installed.

My soprano Flea (plastic fretboard, blue laminate top, Peghead tuners), ordered directly from Magic Fluke Company in late March of 2017, has "M30" (model number) and "30646" (serial number) inside. Given that, I would say that yours is pretty recent. :)

I've been wanting a Flea lately. I'd like your impressions.

I love my concert Fluke.

I have concert Flea that I ordered from Magic Fluke in March 2016. The label says "M40 29750." If you call Magic Fluke, they can probably tell you when yours was made.

Serial numbers run in order, so you can tell an older from a newer uke that way. There is no (not yet) database of dates, though. They have been thinking about doing that since they have all the information, but with so many instruments, it would be a monumental job matching serial numbers with dates. Perhaps some day. I'll post my numbers when I find them

Jim asked "way to date a flea".......dinner and a movie is an opinion but probably a nice walk on the beach with the two of you singing together:p

Funny that some hate friction tuners. I rather like them and have no problem or complaint using them. Maybe I just don't know any better. :rolleyes:

I have Flukes 27530 and 27416. The 27416 I bought new on eBay two weeks ago. The 27530 I ordered from Magic Fluke in March 2018.

Funny that some hate friction tuners. I rather like them and have no problem or complaint using them. Maybe I just don't know any better. :rolleyes:

The quality of the tuners means a lot. The ones used by KoAloha are very good. What's confusing is switching from a uke with geared to one with friction.

congrats, I plan to date a flea soon myself. Hoping a nice one.

I have a soprano mango Pono with friction tuners. Don't play it because I hate friction tuners, too. Maybe if all my ukes had friction tuners I wouldn't mind.

I put Grover 6 friction tuners on all my Magic Fluke instruments (Flea, Fluke, Firefly). Made a world of difference. The silicon gasket/washer makes tuning a breeze.

As for numbers ... The first Flea I bought was in 2015 and it was something like 31121. So I have no idea how they do their numbering.

Enjoy your Flea!

Top Bottom