NUD custom Kimo baritone

Cat M

Reaction score
Finally getting around to the NUD post for my Kimo, which I picked up from the luthier last fall.

I chose the wood in person from the builder's stash, except for the neck, which he selected later after some correspondence. All of it is from the US Pacific Northwest except the fretboard, which is Amazon rosewood. So the wood is from is places where I have camped and hiked and traveled, except the fretboard.

I wanted a simple, organic look with very little bling and a warm full sound and a lot of playability. I think the luthier would have preferred a little more drama in the design choices, but he kept it simple for me.

- reclaimed sinker redwood soundboard from the bottom of Mendocino Bay
- Claro walnut body from Oregon, usually trees that live out their natural lives in orchards
- Oregon myrtle details
- black walnut neck
- Amazon rosewood fretboard

Rich guitar-like sound that has opened up beautifully.

Gotoh tuners, Mi-Si pickup, radiused fretboard. I've settled on Galli UX780 strings for this one after months of experimenting.

Each Kimo is unique and handmade by Hank Johnson. No two are alike.

(Will post images separately. I keep getting errors.)

Last edited:
I'm having a problem with Forbidden errors when trying to use photobucket so I'll have to use some attachments here

Back 180811-1.jpg

P8112734-705x529.jpg

Hanging.jpg

That is one beautiful ukulele.
Please post a sound/video link of the uke being played. It would be great to hear.

I'm having a problem with Forbidden errors when trying to use photobucket so I'll have to use some attachments here
Photobucket got impossible for me to deal with a couple of years ago. Switched to imgur.com and have no problems since.

Now I understand how you got a "plain" uke out of Kimo. :p

Maybe he can't hear us....he's playing it.

I recorded a sound sample and posted it on sound cloud, but I when I try to post the link here, I get the error message: "Forbidden. Contains contacts. Message seems to be spam"

I don't know how to get around the forbidden error but my user name on sound cloud is CelesteMac and there is only one clip posted there

Finally getting around to the NUD post for my Kimo, which I picked up from the luthier last fall.

My first thought was the beautiful wood. Good choice. That looks like the string go through the top. I like that. That would probably be an easy modification to make on any uke.

Congratulations, your Baritone looks gorgeous. I own a Kimo Baritone and a Kimo Tenor. Both are my favorites.

Wow, your favorites, I know what you own and that is saying a lot.

I own a Kimo tenor koa and maple and a super concert sinker redwood and walnut. Both are fabulous instruments.

Congratulations Cat M on a beautiful baritone, it sounds great

Wow, radiused fretboard and Gotoh tuners on a baritone, must be a dream to play. Enjoy

Top Bottom