PhD Strings Praise

about2

Reaction score
I understand there are several quality strings out there - and I certainly have not tried them all, but I must report I am a fan of the PhD's.

I've tried four sets and each of them has enhanced the tonal quality of the instrument they were on.

I first tried a set of low G on a Kamoa 500T spruce. Quite good - with great resonance. Then I put a set of GCEA baritone strings on my Pono Mahogany bari making it into a super tenor. Very good, and I would have left them on it - but I missed the bari sound. So I went and applied a set of PhD's DGBE for Bari's. Love em! Very mellow - and yet clear. No wound strings. My Pono Bari can sound a little muddy with some string sets - but not with these. And with good tension for finger picking.

But the best has to be the set of Low G PhD's on my Master Series Pono Tenor (Cedar/Mah). Oh my. Like butter smooth. Very balanced. I also am a fan of the Low G put out by Pepe Romero. Its wound, but has no finger noise. It's also a winner on this instrument. But the PhD low G is right up there with it and of course, is not wound.

I've tried others, and there are some great strings out there . . . but I love the texture and sound of these. Great price. Great service from U-Space Ukulele. I'm a believer.

My Iriguchi tenor came with high g phd's. As I recall, they sounded good and felt fine, perhaps a little brighter than some, but it's been a long time now.

If you're in the UK, just stick to Living Water. :D

Top Bottom