PDA

View Full Version : PhD Strings Praise

about2
06-01-2019, 04:04 PM
I understand there are several quality strings out there - and I certainly have not tried them all, but I must report I am a fan of the PhD's.

I've tried four sets and each of them has enhanced the tonal quality of the instrument they were on.

I first tried a set of low G on a Kamoa 500T spruce. Quite good - with great resonance. Then I put a set of GCEA baritone strings on my Pono Mahogany bari making it into a super tenor. Very good, and I would have left them on it - but I missed the bari sound. So I went and applied a set of PhD's DGBE for Bari's. Love em! Very mellow - and yet clear. No wound strings. My Pono Bari can sound a little muddy with some string sets - but not with these. And with good tension for finger picking.

But the best has to be the set of Low G PhD's on my Master Series Pono Tenor (Cedar/Mah). Oh my. Like butter smooth. Very balanced. I also am a fan of the Low G put out by Pepe Romero. Its wound, but has no finger noise. It's also a winner on this instrument. But the PhD low G is right up there with it and of course, is not wound.

I've tried others, and there are some great strings out there . . . but I love the texture and sound of these. Great price. Great service from U-Space Ukulele. I'm a believer.

pix.fairydust
06-02-2019, 12:52 AM
Quite a few people seem to be fans of PhD strings but they're hard to find in the UK. Might have to buy and get some shipped internationally to try.

Jim Hanks
06-02-2019, 01:46 AM
My Iriguchi tenor came with high g phd's. As I recall, they sounded good and felt fine, perhaps a little brighter than some, but it's been a long time now.

If you're in the UK, just stick to Living Water. :D

pix.fairydust
06-02-2019, 02:05 AM
My Iriguchi tenor came with high g phd's. As I recall, they sounded good and felt fine, perhaps a little brighter than some, but it's been a long time now.

If you're in the UK, just stick to Living Water. :D

I love living water strings!