NUD: 60’s Martin Style O...UNPLANNED!!!

Astein2006

Reaction score
So I was killing time today near a music store I frequent and have work done there. My daughter was having a concert nearby so I needed to kill an hour or so before the show. Dangerous right?!? So I went in there to play an Ohana SK-38 I knew they had. I picked it up and started strumming. Pretty nice. I was enjoying myself. Started thinking hmm good price maybe I’ll buy it. So anyway my luthier comes up behind me and we started talking about Ukes and what the store had and that some day I’d love to own a vintage Martin. There were two on the wall and I typically don’t play them as a matter of course because they are usually out of my price range and I don’t want to tease myself. So he grabs this old beat up Style O and starts playing it. My jaw just fell. The sound that came from it was everything you’ve ever heard about a vintage Martin. I turned to him and he smiled. He simply said this is the best Uke on the wall. He turned it over and it had multiple cracks that were repaired, dings, scrapes, you name it. He noted the neck and action were perfect. Tone for days. It was love at first sight. I love the repaired cracks and living this ukulele has seen. It is the best sounding and playing Ukulele I have ever come across. Better than my Kamaka Soprano. It is ugly but beautiful. Since I am a regular customer there they gave me a huge deal because my luthier went to bat for me. On my 50th birthday today I walked out with a vintage Martin. My chase for “the” mahogany soprano is over.

Happy birthday! And then you got to enjoy your daughter's concert. Seems like a great and memorable 50th for you!

And that instrument now has an awesome story to go with its awesome sound. Thank you for sharing it with us!

(Also, I don't think any of us would object if you shared some pictures of it...)

I know exactly what you’re talking about. My “beater” gold label competes pretty evenly with my Iriguchi.

So I was killing time today near a music store I frequent and have work done there. My daughter was having a concert nearby so I needed to kill an hour or so before the show. Dangerous right?!? So I went in there to play an Ohana SK-38 I knew they had. I picked it up and started strumming. Pretty nice. I was enjoying myself. Started thinking hmm good price maybe I’ll buy it. So anyway my luthier comes up behind me and we started talking about Ukes and what the store had and that some day I’d love to own a vintage Martin. There were two on the wall and I typically don’t play them as a matter of course because they are usually out of my price range and I don’t want to tease myself. So he grabs this old beat up Style O and starts playing it. My jaw just fell. The sound that came from it was everything you’ve ever heard about a vintage Martin. I turned to him and he smiled. He simply said this is the best Uke on the wall. He turned it over and it had multiple cracks that were repaired, dings, scrapes, you name it. He noted the neck and action were perfect. Tone for days. It was love at first sight. I love the repaired cracks and living this ukulele has seen. It is the best sounding and playing Ukulele I have ever come across. Better than my Kamaka Soprano. It is ugly but beautiful. Since I am a regular customer there they gave me a huge deal because my luthier went to bat for me. On my 50th birthday today I walked out with a vintage Martin. My chase for “the” mahogany soprano is over.

Congrats. I myself just came into possession of a 1960's Styl-0.

Got it from the original purchaser. And the hype is for real.

Happy 50th! Them old Martins are special indeed. My concert got cracks, dings, dents and divots...but it’s the one I play the most.

Top Bottom