Podcast Suggestions?

rorym

Reaction score
I listen to a number of podcasts on a variety of subjects, however, it never dawned on me that there might possibly be a podcast or two dedicated to the ukulele. After reading a post on the Ukulele Hunt blog mentioning one, I immediately did a search on my podcast app and I was presented a list of 19! 17 of which appear to be active. I have only so much commute time.

Do any of you have a favorite, and why?

I listen to Podcasts during my commute, and find it to be an enjoyable and useful way to spend my drive-time.

Most Podcasts are free. Tastes in music styles and tolerance for specific host personalities vary widely, so what I or someone else like is not likely to match your taste--even though we all like the 'ukulele.

You don't need to 'subscribe' until you know you like the podcast. Download a couple episodes from five or six podcasts, and take a listen. You can set your app to delete them once played. If you don't like what you hear, pull over, delete, and and listen to some episodes from a different podcast. I frequently try out podcasts this way. If I like what I hear, I subscribe.

You'll find what you like.

I do listen to some 'ukulele podcasts, but the podcasts I listen to most are about rockabilly, surf music, graphic design, and painting.

There are also podcasts which are not specifically about 'ukulele, but which have a few episodes featuring 'ukulele music. It's easy to download those specific episodes and give a listen.

I would agree with Futurethink, you'll need to figure out what appeals to you. I listen to a number of the ukulele podcasts, so below is a quick reference from my experience.

Obviously, this being an Ukulele Underground forum, first things first...

Ukulele Underground Podcast / Thursday Live Lesson (TLL) [weekly] - Aldrine and the guys chatting and answering viewer/listener questions. Periodic guests to add flavor and other perspectives. They often talk technical questions, musical theory, best practices, etc. They rarely play ukulele music during the podcast, except their Song Challenge episodes that started this year.

Ooktown Podcast [monthly] - Stuart Yoshida and Doug Brown create a delightful 'coffee talk' with multiple guests each episode. They hit more ukulele related topics than you can count and bring great exposure to many artists and ukulele clubs around the country. This one has a significant library of past episodes - enjoy binge listening and now watching with their videos. Almost all discussion, very rarely to no music in the podcast.

Abe's (pronounced ahh-bay) Ukulele Podcast [monthly] - Abe Deshotel focuses on discussions for improving ukulele playing and ukulele music education. He does this through one-on-one guest interviews.

Ukulele is the New Black [fortnightly] - Australian Meredith Harper interviews ukulele artists and groups. She gives a good sense for the vibrant ukulele community down under. As she's had availability she's gets guests that might be more familiar in name to U.S. audiences. Her episodes are shorter, but they are sprinkled with music from the subject artists.

Ukulele Highway [monthly] - Another Australian Rose Story creates an audio 'road trip' with interviews and music.

The Ukulele Review Podcast [weekly] - Andrew Kitakis and the guys at Hawaiian Music Supply--yes, the same guys that sell and set up your ukuleles--talk technical aspects of ukuleles. Initially I found this as an audio podcast, so you'll find early episodes on the Apple podcast (maybe others) environment. However, they've transitioned to YouTube as their main outlet. They fill their episodes discussing the latest ukuleles from the best makers including sound samples from top artists - Kalei Gamiao, Corey Fujimoto, Tobias Elof, Zoe Bestel, etc. They also get into many comparison discussions: strings, tonewoods, pick-ups, bridge/nut material, capos, and so much more. (this is the HMS podcast hawaii 50 mentions above)

I know I look forward to new episodes as they pop up. I hope you find something you enjoy.

Happy listening.

Last edited:
I'll add Unplug the Wood. Also, there's a newish one from Australia, forgot the name.

Also, if you start from the first episode and don't like it much, it might be worth checking a more recent episode to see if it's improved.

Really depends on what content you want as some are geared towards beginners, some to people who are big into playing in groups, interviews with musicians, etc.

As recently as a year ago, there weren't many, but there seem to be several new ones coming out recently. Maybe some weren't coming up in my searches either as a few have been around a while. Not many actually play music. The older Unplug the Wood episodes and Uke Box come to mind.

here are the HMS podcast not sure how listen to them while driving...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hawaii+music+supply+podcast

They used to put out an audio only version, but have sadly not done so in some time. (If anyone from HMS sees this thread, please bring back the audio version!)

Some podcasts that are still ongoing that I enjoy:

The Ukulele Underground Thursday Live Lesson Podcast https://ukuleleunderground.com/category/podcasts/

Abe's Ukulele Podcast http://ukuleleabe.net/ <---- OLD LINK
USE THIS ONE INSTEAD ----> https://ukepodcast.com/

Ukulele is the New Black https://www.ukuleleisthenewblack.com/

The first one is a pretty casual sort of affair, where they answer questions and give tips. The other two are typically more interview style.

EDIT: Fixed link.

Last edited:
They used to put out an audio only version, but have sadly not done so in some time. (If anyone from HMS sees this thread, please bring back the audio version!)

Hear hear!!

I really miss being able to listen to their stuffon my walks.

Did anyone mention 'Ben's Ukulele Road Trips' yet?
No recent updates ( lots of great stuff on Youtube and Patreon though), but the back catalog is wonderful to listen to.

More geared towards guitar, but still interesting for ukulele players is the 'Play Guitar Podcast' with Lee Anderson (the one with the red & white logo; there are several others with similar names).

'The Bulletproof Musician' talks about practice strategies, performance anxiety, etc.

In 'Song Exploder', songwriters share the process in which a song developed; short & sweet episodes, with some great (& famous) musicians.

'Twenty Thousand Herz' is about sounds, generally; very interesting stuff!

Good news; HMS / The Ukulele Review Podcast have started uploading audio podcasts again! :)

Good news; HMS / The Ukulele Review Podcast have started uploading audio podcasts again! :)

I was excited to see that.

My favorite non-ukulele podcast at the moment is Reply All (because of the interesting things I learn) and Wolverine: The Lost Trail (because I love Marvel and audio drama).

Favorite uke podcast (other than my own😁) is probably The Ukulele Review Podcast (because of all the topics they go over).

Btw, my podcast is best found at https://ukepodcast.com

Cheers! 🤙

This isn't a uke podcast, but if you are into podcasts about music you might like this one.

It's a podcast on Old Time music hosted by a young and very very talented clawhammer banjo player who I had the privilege to take a few lessons from when he lived in Philly. They play a lot of great tunes and you sometime learn some really interesting stuff about American folk traditions.

https://getupinthecool.fireside.fm/

Great news! Do you have a link for the Ukulele Review audio podcasts?

Or, if you don't use itunes (there are lots of great podcast apps; I use Podcast Addict myself, but there are many more, most free), you can just search for 'Ukulele Review Podcast' and it should show up.

I was still sunscribed (I have my PA app set so that it only shows unplayed episodes of stuff), so I was thrilled to suddenly see new episodes pop up!

Top Bottom