A Family Portrait (sort of)

ghostrdr

Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to pulling all of my ukes out of their cases and making them stand for a family portrait.

I'm missing one. A KoAloha concert is on loan to a friend. Here are the others. (I didn't include my daughter's Ivy Soprano Flea, my other daughter's Purple Makala Dolphin Soprano, and all my other stuff, such as a wall-hanging G-String concert (no strings), a KoAloha stand, and a KoAloha Ukulele lamp! I need help, obviously)

I'm not much of a sharer, but I get so much enjoyment out of seeing all the NUD posts, I thought maybe you all might enjoy seeing these.

The most recent addition is the Blackbird Sunburst Farallon. She is mighty sweet.

Cheers!
Rich

IMG_4877 (4).jpg

Nice! Those Kamakas have a great look.

Absolutely great family photo, you have some wonderful high quality instruments.

I am very curious to hear from you on the tone of your two Kamaka tenors. Is there a difference in tone between them and if so how would you describe it, thanks.

One of these things is not like the other . :rofl:

Great shot! Of a great family of instruments.

Maybe next time you can get them to smile? :)

What a lovely family you have made! :love:

Absolutely great family photo, you have some wonderful high quality instruments.

I am very curious to hear from you on the tone of your two Kamaka tenors. Is there a difference in tone between them and if so how would you describe it, thanks.

Actually, they both sound very similar. When I bought the HF-3D anniversary, I had the employee send some videos he recorded on his phone. He played the HF-3D and three other HF-3 anniversary non-deluxe models. While playing, he just sort of stopped and said, I don't know what it is about this deluxe model, but it just sounds better. I chose sound over pocketbook. So, there is variation between Kamaka instruments of the same size.

In comparison to the HF-3D2I, I am surprised that tone wise, they both sound amazing and very similar to each other. It's not a huge difference if any at all. I can't do a direct comparison now because one I have strung high G with Martin Premium strings, and the other I have strung Low G with PhD strings. Maybe on both deluxe models, Kamaka takes extra time and care to dial in that Kamaka sound. I prefer the Kamaka tenors in Low G, personally, but I need a High G instrument. The low-end notes sound really good. I've been thinking of a wound C string - if anyone has any recommendations.

The Kamaka tenors are great. But, it may surprise you to learn, I *slightly* prefer the tone on the Ohta-San. It could be the strings. On that one, I have the Frankenstein set with Oasis warms on the two treble strings and wound Thomastek-Infelds on the G and C strings. I haven't gotten around to stringing up one of the tenors that way but intend to in the future.

Hope this is helpful, or at the very least interesting.

Actually, they both sound very similar. When I bought the HF-3D anniversary, I had the employee send some videos he recorded on his phone. He played the HF-3D and three other HF-3 anniversary non-deluxe models. While playing, he just sort of stopped and said, I don't know what it is about this deluxe model, but it just sounds better. I chose sound over pocketbook. So, there is variation between Kamaka instruments of the same size.

In comparison to the HF-3D2I, I am surprised that tone wise, they both sound amazing and very similar to each other. It's not a huge difference if any at all. I can't do a direct comparison now because one I have strung high G with Martin Premium strings, and the other I have strung Low G with PhD strings. Maybe on both deluxe models, Kamaka takes extra time and care to dial in that Kamaka sound. I prefer the Kamaka tenors in Low G, personally, but I need a High G instrument. The low-end notes sound really good. I've been thinking of a wound C string - if anyone has any recommendations.

The Kamaka tenors are great. But, it may surprise you to learn, I *slightly* prefer the tone on the Ohta-San. It could be the strings. On that one, I have the Frankenstein set with Oasis warms on the two treble strings and wound Thomastek-Infelds on the G and C strings. I haven't gotten around to stringing up one of the tenors that way but intend to in the future.

Hope this is helpful, or at the very least interesting.

That was very helpful, excellent answers and descriptions.. Your Frankenstein set is one I have used a number of times. As far as a wound C for one of your tenors the Thomastik CF27 works great. Another one I have used is the D'addario NYL028W, which is the Silver wound classical guitar string. It is brighter with more chime then the Thomastick, pairs well with Fremont Soloist squeakless wound low G.

You mean the "rich lite" fretboard vs the wood ones, right? Actually, that Pineapple one lives downstairs and gets a lot of spontaneous noodling around.
:) I like the look of that pineapple a lot. Looks like it has the wood fretboard and peghed tuners - the ideal Flea in my book (cuz mine has plastic/friction :D )

:) I like the look of that pineapple a lot. Looks like it has the wood fretboard and peghed tuners - the ideal Flea in my book (cuz mine has plastic/friction :D )

Because, I’m a glutton for punishment, I was considering adding another flea/fluke with a plastic fretboard because I want a real beater to leave at the office. I figured the tuners, I could swap out with some graph tech ones, but am waiting to see if they make them a touch smaller.

Top Bottom