Review/overdue NUD: Ohana SK-21A

YogiTom

Reaction score
Picked this B-Stock up from Mim awhile back and never got around to a NUD, partly because I was waiting until I installed new tuning pegs and partly because life gets in the way sometimes.

With that said, here it is! My Ohana cedar/rosewood sopranino, with self-installed Waverly pegs.

Super fun little uke, and a good learning experience in DIY ukulele work. :shaka:

Nice job. I don't dare tackle a tuner change myself.
I hope your daughter enjoys it some day.

Nice review. I had an SK-21M which I sold recently and they're fun little instruments. I tried different strings to mellow it, including the Worth Browns, But settled on some Worth Clears, CD for extra tension. In the end it was just too bright for my tastes. I think if I got the pineapple, I might have hung onto it as it's got a fuller sound and I've always kind of wanted a pineapple, but soprano pineapples start sounding a bit concert like to me.

I really like the wood binding. I can see why you changed out the tuners. Those Gotohs are super touchy at that short scale length. They're not so bad on my SK-38, but I've got some Grover 6's waiting to be installed to smooth it out a bit more. I was leery of installing them myself, and after watching this, I'm getting someone else to do it! :eek:

Nice job. I don't dare tackle a tuner change myself.
I hope your daughter enjoys it some day.

It would’ve been traumatic if I hadn’t been prepared for disaster. It made me rethink ever doing it myself again without some training.

And thank you! I’m hoping to give her my Moon Bird once she is old enough. If she takes after mom, it’ll fit her better than it does me. :)

Yogitom you are off the chart amazing! YOU GO!!

Top Bottom