Travel ukulele

vetcvm

Reaction score
Hello! i playing with the idea of buying a dedicated travel uke, it doesn't look like there is a great deal of choice there when it comes to acoustic thin bodied uke. i'm looking for reasonably priced uke (less than the Kala), must be a concert and acoustic, any advice? cheers

Look at the Flight TUS35. Very happy with mine as I can throw it in a backpack without worries and sound is excellent. Two concerns: Front is prone to scratching from fingernails and the bottom edge is a little uncomfortable.

Eddie Finn EF-TRV-C Travel Ukulele
I've never tried one, but seems like what you are looking for.

The thin bodied "travel" ukuleles never made sense to me.

To my mind a shorter version like a Tiny Tenor or a Magic Fluke is the ticket.

I'd recommend either of these as travelers. Used versions might be within your budget.

Many people say they don't understand the thin bodied ukes for travel. It just depends on how you travel with your uke. For me, the thin body is the most important consideration (more important than scale). It enables the uke with a gig bag to fit into my backpack (neck sticking out) along with my other carry-on stuff. I cannot do this with a regular bodied uke. I always get a window seat, and can slide the uke into the space between the wall and the seat (no overhead compartment). I have traveled all over the world with a Kala travel tenor without issue. While i do not prefer the thin bodied uke (I never use this uke at home), I find it ideal for travel.

Look at the Flight TUS35. Very happy with mine as I can throw it in a backpack without worries and sound is excellent. Two concerns: Front is prone to scratching from fingernails and the bottom edge is a little uncomfortable.

Thanks! bought the TU50, it was almost exactly what i was looking for except it being a Soprano but i'll settle for that!

I used to have the Flight TUS-50 too, Vetcvm, and it's actually very nice! Made disposition of it and held on to my orange TUS-35, which is essentially the same!

Last edited:
Flight TUS 50, great travel uke with great sound, volume and intonation.

if you can wait a bit, they are comming out with a LONG NECK soprano version, soon, I was told by them.

Flight TUS 50, great travel uke with great sound, volume and intonation.

if you can wait a bit, they are comming out with a LONG NECK soprano version, soon, I was told by them.

At this price i would be fine having a couple of flights, if i'm happy with the one i ordered i will likely order another one!

For travel I have a RISA concert "stick" solid body. In its case (which also holds a speaker-amp, cable, tuner and extra strings) it fits neatly in a carryon or small suitcase, not taking up much room at all. When not amp'd the sound is quite muted, but that's good for hotel rooms or when I want to make sure I don't interfere with others' tranquility.

For travel I have a RISA concert "stick" solid body. In its case (which also holds a speaker-amp, cable, tuner and extra strings) it fits neatly in a carryon or small suitcase, not taking up much room at all. When not amp'd the sound is quite muted, but that's good for hotel rooms or when I want to make sure I don't interfere with others' tranquility.

I use the RISA Tenor Stick (aka: solid ukulele) for the same thing. Thinking about getting a small headphone amp for it.

I also have a Fred Shields backpack concert that is actually louder than I want for hotels, but perfect for outdoors or impromptu playing at a friend's.

I took a chance on an Ammoon "stick" uke and it's not too bad. No sharp edges, decent intonation. Just needs side fret markers. Kind of a cheap version of a Risa, but with a normal headstock so not as compact. Tons cheaper than a Risa. I mainly just wanted a quiet uke so it suits that purpose.

Top Bottom