Build Year For Giannini Baritone

stevejfc

Reaction score
Any know how to identify the build year for a Giannini Baritone? Serial #7069 with usual yellow sound hole id sticker/label.

Last edited:
No, I don’t know the build year but please let me make a comment.

When it comes to Gianninis people are always wondering whether they’re laminate or solid mahogany. What’s important is the sound not whether it’s solid or laminate. There are after all different laminate qualities and Gianninis were very high quality laminates. Probably yours is from the 70s, making it close to 50 years old. The laminate does not separate. They are well made. I have never seen the so called solid body Giannini. I think it is fictional. They appear to be solid body to the untrained eye.

The late Dirk of Southcoast Strings referred to them as the holy grail of ukuleles. I happen to have one for sale without a case. If someone is interested I will purchase a case and ship it. $250 plus shipping and the cost of the case of your choice. I will ship from California where I will be from mid June thru mid July, in the Bay Area. Why am I selling? I play piano, and my electric Pono baritone mostly. I am a songwriter not a performer. I play for my own enjoyment and with friends.

Don't know that this helps much or at all; but in the last half hour have picked one up online with the Giannini label inside stamped "-76" at the tail end of the C.G.C. number; and no "Serial No:" line. Also without "USA Distributor: Merson Musical Products"; and a signature i haven't been able to decipher on the headstock, vs "Giannini".View attachment 118665View attachment 118666

Last edited:
No, I don’t know the build year but please let me make a comment.

When it comes to Gianninis people are always wondering whether they’re laminate or solid mahogany. What’s important is the sound not whether it’s solid or laminate. There are after all different laminate qualities and Gianninis were very high quality laminates. Probably yours is from the 70s, making it close to 50 years old. The laminate does not separate. They are well made. I have never seen the so called solid body Giannini. I think it is fictional. They appear to be solid body to the untrained eye.

The late Dirk of Southcoast Strings referred to them as the holy grail of ukuleles. I happen to have one for sale without a case. If someone is interested I will purchase a case and ship it. $250 plus shipping and the cost of the case of your choice. I will ship from California where I will be from mid June thru mid July, in the Bay Area. Why am I selling? I play piano, and my electric Pono baritone mostly. I am a songwriter not a performer. I play for my own enjoyment and with friends.

Mine is certainly a laminate, but plays and sounds great......it rivals my Favilla in tone.
Good luck with the sale of yours.

Don't know that this helps much or at all; but in the last half hour have picked one up online with the Giannini label inside stamped "-76" at the tail end of the C.G.C. number; and no "Serial No:" line. Also without "USA Distributor: Merson Musical Products"; and a signature i haven't been able to decipher on the headstock, vs "Giannini".View attachment 118665View attachment 118666

I've seen that head stock signature before, but I can't remember where. Mine has the CGC number ending in/001 which I've seen on others.

Last edited:
Steve, if you remember where you saw it, LMK! Reading Lardy's Giannini uke database website http://database.ukulelecorner.co.uk/site/ukulelemakers/ghij/giannini, am kinda wondering if my incoming might be a later model (not made for export...)

I have a Gianinni baritone as well and I had seen some website with info to about them. For the life of me couldn't remember what it was, I do know, thanks for the link.

So Steve looks like our baritones were made in the 70s, I love mine. It was my first baritone and it has some better lofty company but I still really enjoy it. Hope you are enjoying yours.

I have a Gianinni baritone as well and I had seen some website with info to about them. For the life of me couldn't remember what it was, I do know, thanks for the link.

So Steve looks like our baritones were made in the 70s, I love mine. It was my first baritone and it has some better lofty company but I still really enjoy it. Hope you are enjoying yours.

Thanks Ron and Dave.

Dave, what is your Giannini strung with? I'm thinking of D'Addario Pro Arte' Baritone Fluorocarbons with an Oasis wound G for the D string. There are some nasty old nylons on it now, plus I need to do some fret and saddle work.

Last edited:
Thanks Ron and Dave.

Dave, what is your Giannini strung with? I'm thinking of D'Addario Pro Arte' Baritone Fluorocarbons with an Oasis wound G for the D string. There are some nasty old nylons on it now, plus I need to do some fret and saddle work.

Hi Steve

I have done a lot of string experimentation on this, as usual. Now I do prefer a wound D and G string so with that in mind I like D'Addario Titanium baritone strings for a mid to warm tone and Martin M630 baritone strings for something a little brighter. Your suggestion would work but the Oasis wound at .030" might be a little slack. I use D'Addario Silver wound classical guitar strings NYL035W or NYL033W. This is assuming you are tuning to DBGE, best of luck

Last edited:
I remember that Jose Feliciano was a Giannini (nylon-string guitar) fan back in the seventies! Another brand he played was Candelas.

Top Bottom