Has anybody ever done a trade?

Hmmm....isn't there some risk involved with that?

Hmmm....isn't there some risk involved with that?
I have. Twice. Once with ~$150 ukes and once with ~$350 ukes. Both worked out fine.

Yes, there is risk involved. You need to talk it out and make sure you're comfortable with the trust level. If something seems "off", trust your instinct and walk away.

By the way, the only alternative is to create two different sales - through PayPal or eBay for example - so there is an audit trail and maybe some help if things go wrong. But then you have to pay for transaction fees which can be substantial, and really, if you don't trust the person, why would you send them money and expect a uke back?

I've recently done a trade - from the UK to USA. It was with a splendid fella whom I have known for many years, online. We've never met in person.

I would only consider it if the other person was well known to me. Strangers or casuals - no chance.

John Colter.

Never met my one trade partner, but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

We talked about the ukes, were in full disclosure with each other about the "wear and tear" of each instrument, timing for packing and shipping, and I was more than willing to exchange back if he wasn't happy with what I sent.

That said, I trusted my instincts in the interactions I had with him and felt good about it every step of the way. For the most part, people who love music as much as we do are decent folks who equally want a new uke as they do to send theirs off to a new home where it will be enjoyed.

Good luck, and don't forget the N(to you)UD post if it works out! ;)

I would only consider it if the other person was well known to me. Strangers or casuals - no chance..
Both my trades were with "strangers" that I only knew from their UU posts. I'll admit I glanced through some of their posts/history to get a sense of the person - in addition to the direct correspondence. In both cases, they seemed like upstanding UU citizens, they had a uke that felt like a fair trade (and if I were in their shoes, my uke also seemed like a fair trade), so we did the trade.

I've done it twice through UU and had a lot of fun doing it both times. One was a UK - USA trade, the other a UK - Canada trade. I didn't know the people before, just bumped into them here on UU. As Jim and others have said above, trust your instincts. I'd probably not do it outside of UU but I'd definitely do it here again.

I did a trade with UU member with whom I'd done previous sales and purchases and who has become a friend--in spite of never having met. I never had a moment of anxiety, and I'd do it again in an instant.

Yes I have, with a high end ukulele (tenor) for equivalent concert. Went very smoothly as we met half way so we could both see the ukes and I was extremely happy. Straight swap.

I’ve completed a few instrument trades, although no for ukes. An international trade of banjos, and a banjo / fiddle trade. I’d never met the individuals and the instruments ranged from the mid 1k to several k range. The advice here all holds true for my experience. Discuss and agree to a clear process on how the trade will occur. Make sure both parties are absolutely comfortable with everything or agree to walk away. Take some time to get to know each other, and remember you share common interests and are likely to build a friendship out of the process. Ultimately, good advise for any purchase, do your due diligence and “buy the seller”.

I did one with another UU member. Got a beautiful concert in exchange for my tenor. I guess it really does come down to trust. I'd just like to think that people on this site who have been here awhile (you can see if they've been posting) care enough about instruments and what they mean to people that they're not going to rip you off.

Have done four trades with various UU members. All went well. Each one involved more than just emails - landline phone calls and Skype video calls. No one ever pressured anyone to get the deal done at warp speed. In fact, everyone took whatever time necessary to make sure the other party was more than comfortable and that the trade was a fair one. Bottom line is, a good trade can result in a good friendship as well as a new instrument, all due to mutual respect based on fair dealing.

Yes, I have. But it was with somebody who I knew quite well.

Top Bottom