Uke number 4 arrived today...

JoanMarie

Reaction score
And I want to share what I learned about it, but after five tries and being denied and called a spammer, I am giving up. :(

Hmm... that posted. Well let's try again.

#4 is a brand new from HMS Kanile'a koa concert K-1C, this one https://www.theukulelesite.com/kanil...SABEgK-evD_BwE

I fell in love with that sound sample and hit the EXPEDITE ME button.

Mind you, this was about six hours before I found UU Marketplace. And put up my wish list. And the offers, oh my the offers!

So the three from my UU family arrived last week and we've been having the loveliest time. But today I picked up #4 thinking this would be a joy to play like the others, but----it is not. Not as bright. Stiff and slow to respond. I feel clumsy playing. The ring is there but very muted compared to the other three. Really have to work hard for it. Basically she's pretty and sweet, but doesn't have that secret sauce all three of her step sisters have.

Should I send it back??

Last edited:
From my own limited experience, Kanile'a has a much more guitar-like sound compared to KoAloha, which I've found much brighter and "boomy". Personally, that "boom" was not to my tastes, and I'm very happy with the deep bass and warmer tone I get from my Kanile'a.

You might be able to brighten up the sound with a different set of strings. The Aquilas that come stock on Kanile'a ukes do add to that guitar sound I was talking about above, imho.

If you don't have some different string sets to try out on it in the next couple days, and you don't love it (which it sounds like is the case), I would send it back. HMS has a great return policy provided you ask to return the uke within 7 days. Just be sure you go through the channel and don't just send it back without notice (I'm sure you wouldn't, but worth a mention!).

I'm all for giving things a chance, but you sound firmly in the KoAloha camp as far as sound. Life is too short to drink wine you don't like or play ukes that don't make you happy. :shaka:

I'm all for giving things a chance, but you sound firmly in the KoAloha camp as far as sound. Life is too short to drink wine you don't like or play ukes that don't make you happy. :shaka:

I lubs you big time YogiTom!

I was fortunate to be able to try a KoAloha, Kamaka, and Kanile'a concerts at one store. The KoAloha stood out with the Kamaka being not a close second.

My personal style is to play the uke that I like best the most. Two of my four concerts are sitting unplayed in lieu of the more recent acquisitions. You will likely experience this same preference... the Kanile'a will not ever be as enjoyable to play as the KoAloha so will sit around if you keep it. New strings might improve it, but not to be anywhere near the KoAloha.

So send it back! The return will cost you shipping but that is the price of the ukulele marketplace where buying online is almost a must for most of us. My first purchase at HMS was sent back quickly after playing it about five minutes as I knew my expectations and the reality were too far apart.

Some people like steak, some people like lobster. Sounds like you love the KoAloha sound. Ain’t nothing wrong with that. Some people love K’anilea. Personally, I found the K’anilea necks to be a little bit big and chunky. It takes some getting used to.

I also agree that strings can really change an instrument. I know Kamaka sells their instruments with black nylon strings that most people hate. I’ve always thought that K’anilea should use better strings than regular Aquilas, but they must use them for a reason. I bet it would sound better with some fluorocarbons.

Congrats on all your recent purchases! Really fun!

I have a K-1c which was my first quality uke 12 years ago. I don't remember what it was originally strung with...……..but I didn't like it. I put a set of Living Waters on it, and the uke came to life. Huge improvement. Have used Living Waters on this uke ever since.

Definitely try new strings. Living Water strings ^^^^^^

Change the strings to fluorocarbon. Instantly improves any Kanile'a.

My Opio made my Kanile’a sound dull, I can only imagine what a Koa Koaloha would have made it sound like. However, the Living Waters made its full round beautiful sound shine. Hope you gave it a shot...

My Opio made my Kanile’a sound dull, I can only imagine what a Koa Koaloha would have made it sound like. However, the Living Waters made its full round beautiful sound shine. Hope you gave it a shot...

Hey thanks everyone for the Living Waters suggestions. Only have a couple days under the return policy and strings would have to be overnighted to semi rural Alaska plus I'd need restringing and playing time... I had to just go with sending her back home. :(

Also, the thicker neck was a surprise.

I think it would be a good idea based, on suggestions, to have a robust string library for each uke. Why didn't I think of that earlier??

My only suggestion is to try and add ukuleles that fit the sound you prefer rather than adding solely based on looks or a particular brand. I’m not saying this is easy without playing first, but establishments like HMS/Ukulele Site know exactly how a KoAloha sounds and might be able to steer you to a similar, but not a KoAloha, ukulele. it’s fun to search out different ukuleles, but it can be a pain to return them. For me it is about finding something that is not the same, different woods, cut-away, side port, but still fits my tonal preference.

Then again, tone preferences sometimes change...

John

Hey thanks everyone for the Living Waters suggestions. Only have a couple days under the return policy and strings would have to be overnighted to semi rural Alaska plus I'd need restringing and playing time... I had to just go with sending her back home. :(

I think it would be a good idea based, on suggestions, to have a robust string library for each uke. Why didn't I think of that earlier??

Good call. I'm not sure new strings would have got you the sound you were looking for anyway. A bit of a gamble if you miss the return window. I usually find a new uke takes an adjustment period for me to really appreciate the sound, but this one sounded like it wasn't a good fit for you.

My only suggestion is to try and add ukuleles that fit the sound you prefer rather than adding solely based on looks or a particular brand. I’m not saying this is easy without playing first, but establishments like HMS/Ukulele Site know exactly how a KoAloha sounds and might be able to steer you to a similar, but not a KoAloha, ukulele. it’s fun to search out different ukuleles, but it can be a pain to return them. For me it is about finding something that is not the same, different woods, cut-away, side port, but still fits my tonal preference.

Then again, tone preferences sometimes change...

John

I'm not sure of the wisdom of owning multiple ukes with the same sound, instead of different sounds, though obviously they should be a sound you find pleasing. Of course sound subtleties are hard to describe or capture on video, so ordering online is difficult. I think it is those subtleties that end up making a uke disappointing.

Last edited:

Smart move to send it back. You know when something isn't your cup of tea and the worst thing you can do is "try" to like it. That never works out......ask my how I know this :p

I always recommend people have a good working stash of strings for their ukes. Mail order places like, Stings by Mail, Strings and Beyond and Elderly Instruments have great selection and reasonable shipping prices. I always order 6 -10 sets of strings at a time so the shipping cost is low per string set

Top Bottom