Does your significant other play?

jdmcnasty

Reaction score
So the other day my girlfriend was over and she asked me to teach her a couple chords on my ukulele. I showed her the chord progression to somewhere over the rainbow (her favorite) with a simplified strumming pattern and she picked it up instantly! So I gave her one of my ukes to take home and she's been progressing ever since. Life is good!

My question is, is anyone else blessed with a girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife who plays?

Life is good!

My question is, is anyone else blessed with a girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife who plays?

Not at my house. My wife picked one up a couple of months ago and was able to make a chord or two, but she was mostly just being nice. My teenage girls don't want anything to do with it. Maybe they're afraid I'll make them sing.

But my wife doesn't mind if I play/sing with other women. The boundaries are clear enough and it gets her off the hook.

And yes, Life is Good!

bro, you are lucky. i even offered to buy my fiance one of those pink mahalo's on MGM's site, but she'd rather listen than play. I don't think she has the patience for it. She did get me my last uke though, so she's a keeper :D. and yes, Life is Good!

Sadly, no. His parents gave him a guitar about 30 years ago because he had always wanted one. He's never touched it. I've asked him a lot recently if he would take up guitar so we could do duets but he said no.

Shortly after I learned to play "Imagine" my wife wanted to see if she could play. I put a capo on my guitar and handed over my ukulele (I only had one then, UAS had not kicked in just yet) and walked her through it, and she did a pretty good job! She has not picked up an ukulele since.

I have tried to get her to play, but it doesn't seam like her thing.. But I just ordered a new Pono, so maybe she wants when we can play together :)

No matter what, life is indeed still good :)

My wife knows a few chords but she gets bored easily.. She much rather spend time in Facebook..

I actually bought my 1st tenor because she claimed the Kala Concert but lost interest after about a week or so.. I didnt really complain so much cuz I got to buy another uke...

My 3 yr old son loves me playing and he usually will grab his little uke and pretend play along.. He knows about 4 -5 songs that I usually sing around the house he'll sing along too..

The wife likes the fact that I play (most of the time) but she has little interest in it :(

My wife has always felt kind of left out when I get together with our friends to jam.

Over the years, she's tried to pick up various instruments, the conga, bass guitar, the djembe, banjo, and a few other things (we've been married for 22 happy years now.) Nothing really stuck with her, and she's pretty much stopped trying. She is a creative person, just not musically I guess. She likes to write fiction, mostly vampire stuff... things like that.

I still try to encourage her to play something (as I do with just about anyone else I know.)

When I first met my wife-to-be she was a pretty fair guitar player. Over the years she stopped playing, and the guitar ended up in the loft. About fifteen years ago I started playing the uke. She was intrigued, and gave it a try. She's a better player than me, but doesn't take it seriously. She just picks a uke up when the mood takes her. We play the occasional duet, but mostly the uke is MY thing.

We're just about to celebrate our 39th wedding adversity (sorry - anniversary!), and life is still good. Well, it's a hell of a lot better than the alternative, anyway.

Ukantor.

My husband started playing the ukulele first, at my request. About 3 years ago I asked him if he would be willing to learn the ukulele so he could accompany me while I played harmonica.

So I got him an Applause soprano for his birthday and he loved it and he played it all the time. He seemed to be having so much fun that after about 4 months I started playing, too. Now we are completely addicted to ukuleles (and my harp skills are languishing). We play together for probably at least an hour or three nearly every day.

And in addition to playing ukulele, he is also my uke tech. He has added strap buttons, installed pick-ups, swapped out friction tuners for geared ones, and adjusted actions, as well as changing strings.

Last week, as an anniversary present, he got me a Risa Solid Soprano that I can take with me everywhere.

I think he's a keeper! :love:

My wife can play the guitar and enjoys playing the guitar, but pretty much everything else in life gets priority over the guitar for her, so we don't play together...

promising candidate

I have only had my ukulele(s) since late February, but I think my husband is a promising candidate for a uke player. He loves his electric guitar, and has been curious about my ukes. He has picked them up and learned a few chords, and seems to feel attracted to them. I am sure there is a tenor uke in his future. Whether it is a hand-me-down from my collection as it grows, or if we have him choose his own, I don't know yet. Space is kind of tight around here, so one needs to be careful when accumulating more stuff. We haven't tried doing guitar/ uke duets yet, but it is a possibility.

–Lori

P.S. With some people, they have to search a while before "finding" their instrument. Some people (like us) like strings, but others are drawn to keyboards, percussion or breath driven instruments.

no, my dog does not play ukulele but....my dog has fleas lol:D:D:D

My wife is just about completely non-musical. Not only does she not play, she rarely even listens to music. She claims to like music, but I don't get how.... :confused:

Her musical taste is off by a full generation. She only seems to like what her parents listened to....Lawrence Welk, Mitch Miller, piano instrumentals, etc. Well, that and Christmas/church music.

No chance at all of any uke duets around here! :(

Top Bottom