Neck Block jig thingie

Timbuck

Reaction score
As I use several jigs for making neck blocks eg: Dovetail Jig, Radius jig, Chamfer jig and gluing jig...It's important that all the blank blocks are the same size..so that they will fit these jigs....W 2"- H 2 1/8"-D 3/4"
I get the hight and the depth by sanding down the material in long lengths and then cut the width off on the bandsaw leaving a couple of mm for sanding.
Here is the one that I use on the thickness sander to make sure the width is correct. (The material is Brazilian Mahogany)
IMG_3789.jpg
In the Sander
IMG_3778.jpg
49 Blocks all ready for next operation.
IMG_3790.jpg

Last edited:
That looks mighty fine, Ken! I wonder if any one else felt compelled (as I did) to count the pile of finished blocks? Two sixes are twelve, four twelves are forty-eight, plus one on top = 49.

Check! :agree:

John Colter.

I find that taking a few pic's and sharing them on here helps with the motivation and makes the work less boring..I think it's called showing off .:)

After a careful set up in the milling machine I start routing out the mortice (female dovetail).
IMG_3799.jpg
I make slight adjustments on the machine on first 2 or 3 blocks until i'm satisfied with the set up.
Then I start a production run :)
IMG_3801.jpg
First 6 done... now I can machine all the others... But first I'll set up the dust extractor.
IMG_3807.jpg

Last edited:
All the dovetail sockets completed :D...Next Op is sanding a 45 Degree chamfer on the back edges...Then all I need is 49 fully carved necks to fit to e'm.
IMG_3812.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on starting and finishing with 49 pieces.:D Please continue sharing the other half of the neck block thingie!

I can't count the bridges. How many are there? This is important. I'm biting my finger nails!

John Colter.

Ive put them in tray so you can count e'm John, a mixture of Brazilian and Honduran :)
IMG_3825.jpg
And while you're at it you can count how many necks I'll get out of this bundle.
IMG_3821.jpg
It looks like i'm going to be busy for a few months.:cheers:

Last edited:
I make that sixty bridges. I gave up on the necks!

John Colter.

Lost in all of this is that the french polish will still be applied by hand. *That's* where the real labor savings is.

Top Bottom