A good run...

YogiTom

Reaction score
It finally happened. My wife asked me to promise that I would not buy any more ukuleles. Thankfully I’m still waiting on a few to ship that were technically already paid for, so no problem with those! :p

I guess I’m stuck trading for “new” ukes for now.

My only regret is that I just discovered a Kamaka 100th Ohta-San Deluxe for sale...:rolleyes:

It finally happened. My wife asked me to promise that I would not buy any more ukuleles. Thankfully I’m still waiting on a few to ship that were technically already paid for, so no problem with those! :p

My only regret is that I just discovered a Kamaka 100th Ohta-San Deluxe for sale...:rolleyes:
I noticed in your signature that a couple of those are your wife's ukuleles. Does she play the ukulele too, or are they just the ones you bought for her? I ask because I used to do a lot of upland bird hunting. My friend kept using his wife as an excuse to buy 20ga shotguns. He bought them for her. I never knew of her to go upland bird hunting but she had three shotguns. So I was just wondering.

Wow, that Ohta San seems very overpriced. MSRP on the Kamaka website for a new Ohta San is $2395. $4600 for the 2016 model seems way too high.

Looks like you got some great ukuleles before your wife decided you had enough. :)

I noticed in your signature that a couple of those are your wife's ukuleles. Does she play the ukulele too, or are they just the ones you bought for her? I ask because I used to do a lot of upland bird hunting. My friend kept using his wife as an excuse to buy 20ga shotguns. He bought them for her. I never knew of her to go upland bird hunting but she had three shotguns. So I was just wondering.

An excellent point and valid question.

My wife’s Kala was the first uke we ever had in our household. For years, she thought of herself as having 0 musical ability, but tried and loved playing a friend’s ukulele at a ukulele Christmas carol strum along that they hosted. She found Cynthia Lin’s instructional videos to be super helpful for her style of learning, so the next step was to buy her an instrument.

Being a musician myself, I knew we wanted to get something nicer than “entry level” (how little I knew back then!) for her to learn on, and the Kala was one she really liked the feel of.

Fast forward a few years, and while pregnant with our daughter, my wife put the ukulele away and that was it for awhile. Until I got curious and pulled it out of the gigbag. Pretty soon, I was hooked.

The Rebel Double Crème is also my wife’s, largely because she loved the look of it and maybe because she also loves perfectly ripe mangos above all other fruit, so it was kind of a fun birthday present for her.

I’ll fully admit that I’m much more of the ukulele nut than she is, hence why she doesn’t see a reason for me to keep acquiring more for myself.

I will also admit that a few in my collection—the Ohana sopranino, Keiki Kamaka, and Moon Bird—were all bought with the thought that our daughter may one day want to play them...but since she isn’t even a year old yet, I think those buys fall squarely in the same vein that your friend’s shotgun buying does. ;)

Last edited:
Wow, that Ohta San seems very overpriced. MSRP on the Kamaka website for a new Ohta San is $2395. $4600 for the 2016 model seems way too high.

Looks like you got some great ukuleles before your wife decided you had enough. :)

The Ohta-San was meant as kind of a joke. Lovely uke, but you’re very right about that markup!! :p

Edit: that merchant also has a Deluxe HF-3 anniversary with a slotted headstock, listed at $13K....................

Last edited:
A few months ago Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto had a 100th Ohta-San for $1800 that I decided to not buy...

My first thought was that Father's Day would be a good time to be surprised by your kids with a new uke that you have your eyes on. But looks like you will have to wait a while... Unless you tell your wife that the best Father's Day gift would be for her to lift the restriction and change it to a set quantity (like one per two months).

A few months ago Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto had a 100th Ohta-San for $1800 that I decided to not buy...

My first thought was that Father's Day would be a good time to be surprised by your kids with a new uke that you have your eyes on. But looks like you will have to wait a while... Unless you tell your wife that the best Father's Day gift would be for her to lift the restriction and change it to a set quantity (like one per two months).

We’ll see. My daughter’s birthday is July 6th, a week after mine, so I don’t think I’ll be celebrating Father’s Day or especially my birthday much in the coming years. But that’s fine by me.

If anything, this hiatus will allow me to actually save up for a custom uke in a few years time rather than buying the next piece of eye candy that I see on here or Reverb or eBay or HMS... :p

Just my luck...got an email from Kevin at Cocobolo Ukulele today saying the winner of one of last week’s teak concerts didn’t take it and that I am the runner up...:uhoh:

Are these ukuleles worth the marital strife if I accept? Only half joking here, as I have wanted one of these for a long while.

Last edited:
I don’t have a spouse to negotiate with, so self restraint is totally up to me. However, my 81 year old mom lives with me and she’s become pretty hip to what ukulele packages look like. It’s nice having her home to receive ukuleles that get delivered while I’m at work. But it means I can’t sneak stuff past her without a comment ..... “that’s not another ukulele is it?” Luckily, she’s a watercolor artist, so she has an art studio space full of paints, brushes, books, and misc. art gear, so she doesn’t give me too much grief.

Just my luck...got an email from Kevin at Cocobolo Ukulele today saying the winner of one of last week’s teak concerts didn’t take it and that I am the runner up...:uhoh:

Are these ukuleles worth the marital strife if I accept? Only half joking here, as I have wanted one of these for a long while.

It is always preferable to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

It is always preferable to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

Solid advice. You can always sell it if you want to. The uke god clearly has something planned for you.

"...maybe because she also loves perfectly ripe mangos above all other fruit, so it was kind of a fun birthday present for her."

If you can get your hands on some genuine Mangoes from the Philippines, she will forgive you of all your sins. —well, maybe not ALL. They taste like sorbet. Sweet and wonderful. I didn't like mangoes until I went to Manila with my wife to visit her family. They have spoiled me for any other kind.

Now back to your regularly scheduled post...

If you can get your hands on some genuine Mangoes from the Philippines, she will forgive you of all your sins. —well, maybe not ALL. They taste like sorbet. Sweet and wonderful. I didn't like mangoes until I went to Manila with my wife to visit her family. They have spoiled me for any other kind.

Now back to your regularly scheduled post...
You have not tasted mangoes unless you have tasted Indian mangoes..

I chimed in too. Taiwan is famous for 2 things, mango and aNueNue. :D

Maybe I can start a new subscription service to pay for additional ukes: Mangoes of the World.

Every week, we send a sticky mess from somewhere else in the world direct to your door! :p

Top Bottom