The best £50 I ever spent?

Pirate Jim

Reaction score
20190604_221649.jpg

Meet Alic. About 4 or 5 years ago I shelled out £50 on impulse to try this little thing out. Plastic back, plywood top, awful holographic thing on it, plastic fretboard. Just reading that makes me want to go back in time and stop myself! The thing is, though, this uke sounds far better than it should and is really comfy to play. I now see them branded as Mahilele and Flight so the factory producing them has obviously done well!

I've played this uke in a hostel in San Francisco, under the stars in Yosemite, round a fire in Cornwall, by the canal in Berlin, on a Tuscan hillside and stuck on a motorway after there had been a crash that caused an epic tailback. My eldest was sick all over it when she was a baby and she now likes to use it as a makeshift tennis racket. It has lived and been played to almost literal death! Slowly over the last couple of years the top has been coming away from the body and I figured it was time to consign it to history.

This evening, however, being the master luthier I am, I grabbed the super glue and stuck the warped and split top back on. Let it set, strung it up and blow me down if it doesn't sound just as good as it did when new. I've had expensive ukes come and go but none of them have represented true value and memories like this £50 bucket of junk. What a fab instrument and what an advert for not having to spend the earth to get something you can love for years.

That's all, just wanted to share :eek:

View attachment 118684

Meet Alic. About 4 or 5 years ago I shelled out £50 on impulse to try this little thing out. Plastic back, plywood top, awful holographic thing on it, plastic fretboard. Just reading that makes me want to go back in time and stop myself! The thing is, though, this uke sounds far better than it should and is really comfy to play. I now see them branded as Mahilele and Flight so the factory producing them has obviously done well!

I've played this uke in a hostel in San Francisco, under the stars in Yosemite, round a fire in Cornwall, by the canal in Berlin, on a Tuscan hillside and stuck on a motorway after there had been a crash that caused an epic tailback. My eldest was sick all over it when she was a baby and she now likes to use it as a makeshift tennis racket. It has lived and been played to almost literal death! Slowly over the last couple of years the top has been coming away from the body and I figured it was time to consign it to history.

This evening, however, being the master luthier I am, I grabbed the super glue and stuck the warped and split top back on. Let it set, strung it up and blow me down if it doesn't sound just as good as it did when new. I've had expensive ukes come and go but none of them have represented true value and memories like this £50 bucket of junk. What a fab instrument and what an advert for not having to spend the earth to get something you can love for years.

That's all, just wanted to share :eek:

That was beautiful. Yes, some cheap ukes sound terrible, but some sound pretty good and bring such joy, especially when they go where other, more expensive ukes, might not be taken.

That was a great story with an important lesson/reminder attached.

I might have used my own master luthier skills and painted over the top, but then there goes half the personality right there! ;)

£50? I've paid four times that amount for ukes that have not provided anything but music. You can't put a price on great memories.

John Colter.

What a great post. Perspective is a wonderful thing .

Just proves how even a cheapie can give an enormous amount of pleasure. :)

I gave my cheapies away so that others could enjoy them, as I wasn't playing them - but I still have, & use, my first real uke that I learned to play on, my long neck soprano Kala-KA-SLNG, when I bought it, it cost me £68. :music:

My Flight TUS-50 definitely shows some wear on its plastic frets, might have been from an earlier stuff bought it from Thomann. All I can say plastic frets don't last really long time. About the same cost as yours.
Mine still sounds fine, no problems, just don't like the wear.
Wear that we never experience with metal frets.

Are you kidding? The hologram makes all the difference. Never paint over that!

Top Bottom