Fan vs Ladder Bracing Tests with Worth Browns and Custom String Set

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Fan vs X Bracing Tests with Worth Browns and Custom String Set

One of the people that I play with when I am in Perth, Western Australia is an amateur luthier. I say amateur only because he never sells any of his work. He either raffles them off to benefit children in hospital who are learning music while there or gives them away to friends.

He has just completed a batch of Ukes that have either fan or ladder bracing to see how the different bracing affected the tone. Each uke with the different bracing type was strung with Worth Browns or with a Frankenstein set that I have been using for a while now and that has been packaged by a well known online string shop.

He explains it all in the post he just uploaded to his website on June 3rd.

I thought that some of you guys might find it an interesting read.
https://jarrahdalestringinstrumentcompany.wordpress.com/

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this link: I, for one, found this interesting. Your friend certainly makes some nice looking instruments. I greatly admire his generosity in giving away his instruments or raffling them for charities. It's interesting to see how he has set about making the necessary jigs etc to produce his ukes. It's also good to see him experimenting with different bracing patterns: as a hobby maker, I also travel this road. ( His latest batch compares fans with a double X bracing pattern and not ladder bracing). I encourage others to take the time to look at the link

Thanks for posting this link: I, for one, found this interesting. Your friend certainly makes some nice looking instruments. I greatly admire his generosity in giving away his instruments or raffling them for charities. It's interesting to see how he has set about making the necessary jigs etc to produce his ukes. It's also good to see him experimenting with different bracing patterns: as a hobby maker, I also travel this road. ( His latest batch compares fans with a double X bracing pattern and not ladder bracing). I encourage others to take the time to look at the link
Thanks for correcting me re the X bracing. I’ve corrected the title of the post.

Top Bottom