Space.

Kibes37

Reaction score
My Kanile’a straight feels like a Tenor compared to my Opio. The nut width on the Opio along with quality control has taken away my interest in a higher end Koaloha. Which is a shame because I Love the voice of my Opio. It’s looking like my incoming Clara may not last long with my nut width preference. I will definitely give a couple months. It really does seem like more companies should offer some varying nut widths. Maybe too much to deal with. I have searched past threads, but it’s old info.

I would love any and all suggestions on Ukes with the WIDEST nuts out there.

Thanks

Thanks I saw that. Isn’t that 2015? Plus I don’t think it’s totally accurate...

Last edited:
Thanks I saw that. Isn’t that 2015? Plus I don’t think it’s totally accurate...

Looks like it, but could still be a starting point. I don't know that any of the brands have changed nut widths since then, but someone else here will probably know.

I very much appreciate the reply. I’m finding varying info on Koalohas for example. Just wanted some input, but if this a boring subject I understand. Thanks again.

I very much appreciate the reply. I’m finding varying info on Koalohas for example. Just wanted some input, but if this a boring subject I understand. Thanks again.

It's not a boring subject to me. Nut width makes a big difference to me.
Maybe someone has a better resource than that one. I hope so. :)

Up to a point it’s not nut width, but string width. Up to a point because a narrow nut (fretboard) does limit how wide the strings can be spaced. But if there is 5 or 6mm spacing between the A, or G, string at the nut, the string to string spacing can probably be wider.

John

Full fledge Koalohas have a 1.5" nut as do Kanile'a. My personal preference is kanile'a based on tone/voice and ease of play (love the Kanile'a neck). Many however prefer Koaloha with its great bark (volume).

Thanks for the info. So KoAloha’s (Hawaiian made) have the same width as Kanilea’? Interesting. That may have brought my interest back a bit...

going into custom territory perhaps might get you "exactly' what you want :-D

Ha, I would have already moved faster on that, but I’m still figuring out what I want...

For some reason, maybe from the Ukulele Site podcast with Paul Okami from KoAloha, I thought KoAloha tenors the fretboard is bound which may be why the string spacing is smaller. On the K'anileas, are the fretboard edges bound?

I've heard that some of the Kala Elites have wider necks.

I've heard that some of the Kala Elites have wider necks.

The Kala Elite 1koa concert I owned had the biggest dimensions I ever saw: 38 mm nut width, 31.6 mm string spread at the nut, and a whopping 46.3 mm string spread at the saddle.

Pete Howlett talked about nut width vs. string spacing and other topics, such as "action", in his May 28 Facebook video.

He basically concurred that the nut width is not the important measurement, though it has somehow become so in many articles, reviews and postings. Rather it is the string spacing that is the important information.

Pete Howlett talked about nut width vs. string spacing and other topics, such as "action", in his May 28 Facebook video.

He basically concurred that the nut width is not the important measurement, though it has somehow become so in many articles, reviews and postings. Rather it is the string spacing that is the important information.

May be a naïve question, but how does one measure string spacing? From inside edges of the 1st and 4th, or the outside edges? My gut tells me it is the former, but wanted to ask rather than assume!

The Cali Pineapple has an 1-1/2" nut. It's a concert scale with a tenor sized body.

Top Bottom