Overspray

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I've heard that oversprays were common on vintage Martin ukes when they went back to the factory. My beater 40's Style 0 has an overspray, including the fretboard, which has partially worn away at both ends, less so on the middle frets. Not sure if it was done at the factory, or just a previous owner. I've seen videos of folks removing the overspray from rosewood fretboard instruments, by carefully scraping with a vertical razor blade. Not sure if I'll try that someday. Just leaving it alone for now, since it feels and sounds fine, just looks a bit worn.

14.jpg
15.jpg
17.jpg

Last edited:
Overspray is the result of bad workmanship - due to either carelessness or inexperience. Masking the areas to protect them is a simple way to prevent material form landing where you don't want it. I'd be careful about removing it, especially on the body. If you really care about appearance, talk to a luthier or two.

I am curious on how you determined it was made in the 40s. From the pics it looks like it has bar frets, which Martin quit using and went to T frets in 1934. I picked up a similar ukulele some years ago on EBay, supposedly built in the 50s or 60s, but with bar frets and a finish that was totally toast, think it is much older than that. Because the finish was flaking off, I rubbed it with 2 coats of thin shellac and then sprayed it with 2 coats of nitro lacquer. I did mask off the bridge and fretboard however. For your ukulele, I would consider using, very carefully, a chemical finish remover. Then hit it with some 0000 steel wool and oil.
Brad

If it was mine I’d get a box of single-edge razor blades and work on it in my spare time...a few frets at a time, changing to a new blade often. Follow up with 0000 steel wool and a few drops of mineral oil, well rubbed in.

A further proof is to see if a Manet will stick to the frets as they were made of stainless steel during the war.
As to the overspray, I have never seen any Martin with overspray except a couple that were refinished with a spray gun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom