Strings Tiny Tenor strings question

bratsche

Reaction score
When I bought my mahogany Tiny Tenor 2nd hand, I did my customary fifths tuning thing, removing the 2 bass strings and replacing them with my usual choices, and tuning the 2nd string down to D. Worked beautifully. Until the A string recently broke, and I replaced it with what I had on hand - a fluorocarbon from an Oasis set. Not beautiful at all! It's completely out of balance with the other strings now, and feels too tense and thin under my fingers.

Problem is, I have no idea what the ones that came on this instrument were. They're white, and they're thicker than fluorocarbon, have lower tension and seem to work really well on this instrument. I hate to go experimenting by buying various different sets of strings to try, when I know I'll only ever use the upper half of the set (assuming I like them in the first place) and toss out the lower two strings. I'd kind of prefer to make the perfect educated guess the first time. Anyone have ideas what strings to try that would be lower tension and thicker?

Oh, and by the way, what are other people with Tiny Tenors using for strings? I'm curious. I was surprised that a fluorocarbon 1st string gave me such a negative tactile and sonoral reaction in this instance, as I've used them on other tenors with better results.

bratsche

Last edited:
I believe new Tiny Tenors come with LaBella Pro (Pepe Romero) strings. HMS sells them.
Jan D.

I have one of these with the La bella Pepe Romero strings . problem is I removed the low G wound to try a re-entry g didn’t like it but couldn’t put the wound string back... I have a Living Waters low G . Prefer the wound one though.
I wonder what the difference between Labella regular tenor low G and Pepe Romero strings. They both have the same wound 4th.
By the way this TT sounds great and a pleasure to play.

Echoing above - white, thick and low tension is almost certainly Aquila Nylgut or Super Nylgut.

I'm curious to read that people wouldn't like the original Romero/LaBella strings with the wound low g string. I absolutely love them. I feel they're a real sound booster for a number of ukes. Apart from the Tiny Tenor (Mahogany laminate and solid spruce top) and the XS Soprano (same wood combination) I put them on my concert DuPont Manouche style Uke (all solid Mahogany) and it's a killer! A number of friends put them on their ukes (Ortegas, Kalas), as well, and they're thrilled, too.

I don't know what it is. It feels like the fluorocarbon strings are a bit more on the thicker side, but I'm not sure it's just them. Certainly the wound low g string adds a lot of depth and volume. My DuPOnt had a lot of tone and volume before (with the original D'Addario Titanium strings, but now it's a canon.

I recommend the Romero strings to anyone interested in playing low g.

I love the original strings on my wife's Tiny Tenor.
But, the A string broke, and I stuck an Aquila on it cause that's what we had.
It feels a bit weird, but these ukes are very forgiving, and I can't tell any difference in the tone.
Maybe someone with a better ear like bratsche would notice.

Thanks, you guys. Okay, I've ordered some Aquilas - boith the "New Nylgut" and the Super Nylgut. We'll see how it goes. It's actually the tactile sensation more than the actual sound of the fluoro that bothers me on the Tiny Tenor. I'm always hoping to decrease the tension on tenors, as I absolutely love the feel of the lower tension on my baritone for fingerpicking - it seems to enable me to play with much more nuance and tonal variation than high-strung, tight-feeling strings do.

bratsche

I have TT, sold top spruce and laminate mahogany. I've tried all kinds of string. The RC fluro sound great on it. Oasis Bright sound great on it. I even went back and put Concert Aquila Nylgut on it and they sounded great and tension was lower. I just put NEW version ( darker red) tenor Aquila Red and they sound Fantastic.

I don't like Nylon on the TT. I found Martin 620's to be too skinny and not a great sound. Fun is experimenting. If you think Aquila New Nylgut or the Super Nylgut are good but tension is off...….. for your liking..... try a set on Concerts. New Nylgut are thicker but in concert are thinner. I found the new RED in Tenor, to be just fine. They are not as thick as NEW NYlgut in I Tenor. After, the Red have done their month...….. I will try Laval or Super Nylgut in Concert. I found Lava in tenor on my Pono to sound good, very musical but didn't like the tension.

I may even to back to try Titanium but in concert on the TT and see if I like them better. I didn't like the tenor version on my TT.

Obviously sold wood may be different and YMMV.

Have fun, string changes is a cheapest and easier way to change the sound of a Ukulele. I make a rule to leave string on for a MONTH of constant play or more ( often six months) if I like them. With string thru bridge and tie blocks , string are easy to change. I only change sooner it I absolutely hate a set on. LOL

Try Aquila Reds. They sounds amazing -- very bright...

Top Bottom