1000th post -- trip itinerary contest!!!

sukie

Aloha
UU VIP
Reaction score
So, I've made it to my 1000th post. The last few hundred may, I stress may, have had a bit of post whoring to it, but nevertheless, I MADE IT!

Next week I am heading off to the Ukulele World Congress in Nashville, Indiana. Yea! On Thursday I will drive to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin from my home in the Minneapolis area. On Friday I will pick up a passenger at O'Hare and we'll get to Nashville in time for dinner. On Sunday I'll leave Nashville and go to Rockford, Illinois. Monday it's back home.

I like to stop a lot on road trips and I also like to visit "must-see" and out-of-the-way type places.

HERE'S THE CHALLENGE:

1) Give me a suggestion of a place I should stop and visit. Points of interest, restaurants, museums, stores -- you name it.

2) The suggestion can be for either leg of my journey.

3) You must not have me detour too far out of my way. (Look on an atlas for the logical routes)

I will stop at as many places as I can. My passenger is entitled to help me judge any stops made between O'Hare and Nashville. Wherever I have the most fun (etc.) wins.

What to know what you're playing for?

1st place - $25 G.C. to the UU store and a trinket from Nashville.
2nd place - a trinket from Nashville
3rd place - a trinket from Nashville

Entries must be received by 8:00 a.m.(CDT) on Thursday, June 4th. Winners announced after I get back home.

Extra points for anyone who sends me to a place where I see a pink flamingo or two.

Thanks for being such a fun group of people. :D

Thanks for the map, Andy -- I forgot to do that. Enter as often as you like. Just remember -- I only have so much time.

When over by O'hare airport, you have to make a trip a little north of the city to SuperDawg Drive-In. It is the best hot dog in Chicago.

http://www.superdawg.com/

It is the last car hop style hot dog restaurant in Chicago. You order your food and the waitress brings the food on a tray that hangs on your car window. It really takes you back in time. If you don't like Hot Dogs, they have Superburgers which are equally fantastic.

umm well i live in Australia so this is a bit hard. ok go to the lake/ river thing in chicago, then some how scab a jet ski that has a tub thing on the bak. then get towed on the tube behind the jetski on the water. then after that go to the zoo at chicago n hopefully there is a flamingo. or you say bugger goin to nashville n come to Australia n jam with me n go surfing.

you dont need to go ny where special. PLay three step knock and run. these are the rules. 1-go to any house you see,2-knock on the door or ring bell, 3- get as far away as possible and hide but you can only take 3 steps!!

another thing you can do is go any where that is crowded. this game is called ghosting. this is wher you pick a person and follow them but also trying to get as close as possible to them with out them noticing!!! and see how far you can go. see with me you dont need to go anywhere special

There's usually stuff happening around the Bean in Millenium Park! I know you were already planning to go there, though... If my post doesn't count, it's cool!

Billy Goat Tavern

Congrats on the 1000th post!

If you're up for a diversion into downtown Chicago, I'd suggest the Billy Goat Tavern. You can find info about it here:

http://www.billygoattavern.com/home.html

It was made famous on old Saturday Night Live's with the "cheeborger cheeborger cheeborger" sketch starring Dan Akroyd. You can indeed still get a cheeborger, and an adult beverage of your choice.

Nothing like a cold beer or three before a long road trip (for your passenger of course)! :cheers:

So far some good ideas. Anybody have any more for me? It's a long drive from Burnsville to Lake Geneva.

My passenger has never been to the Midwest. We need to show him what that part of the country has to offer. Having not really been to Indiana myself, I need help.

Since you will be in the car awhile, I suggest the Canal Walk in downtown Indy. It's one of my favorite things to do there. Besides just walking, you can rent a surrey (a bicycle-type thing) or a pedal boat. Enjoy and hope to meet you at the UWC!

http://www.discovercanal.com/

"The Canal Walk is a portion of the Historic Central Canal, an early 19th-century project designed to facilitate commerce. Today, Canal Walk stretches through White River State Park north to 11th St.
Canal Walk features a mix of old and new architecture, attractions and monuments which offer a waterside promenade for strolls, jogging, inline skating, biking and boating.

Amenities: Pedal boat rentals, assorted bike rentals, gondola rides, murals, bridges, fountains, History Center waterside cafe, waterfalls.

Attractions: U.S.S. Indianapolis Memorial, Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial, Historic Landmarks Foundation, Indiana Government Center, Military Park, Eiteljorg Museum, Indiana State Museum/IMAX and NCAA Hall of Champions."

PS- The Canal would be a beautiful place to shoot your next youtube video! Maybe even aboard a pedal boat?

"I've got a mule, and her name is Sal,
Fifteen miles on the Erie canal"

Wrong canal, but you could modify it! ;)

another thing you can do is go any where that is crowded. this game is called ghosting. this is wher you pick a person and follow them but also trying to get as close as possible to them with out them noticing!!! and see how far you can go. see with me you dont need to go anywhere special

Funny....around here we call that "stalking". ;)

First off congrats!
Probably far out of your way haha so this wont count but hey you said u wanted to see pink Flamingo http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/17505 not only largest but you can live in one!

Don't know that area at all but "ROAD TRIP" are my two favorite words, gosh, have a blast and enjoy yourself, wish I was going with you.

Top Bottom