Bicycle and Uke - Similarities

I liked 'em both. Thanks for the laugh.

My problem is that my current hobbies are bicycles AND ukuleles. Worse than that, the bikes are all recumbents, and take up a lot more space than ukuleles!

Ha, ha, that was one of the things that put me off recumbents - plus you can't see over the hedges. :)

I think I had about 19 bikes at one time, 7 rideable, & used regularly, the others partially built & stored, (& they were all kept in the house).

I do seem to amass whatever I'm interested in - lots of ukes, lots of high & low whistles, many harmonicas, & several flutes, (even though I can barely play my flutes, as I'm still developing my embouchure). ;)

My initial thought was "nah. I only have the one bike". Then I realized I still have two and a squidge (battery system from the e-bike that was stolen from my garage a few years ago. *grumph*). Still have more money in bikes than nukes (thank you auto-incorrect. going to leave that one though!), and the bicycle is purely utilitarian for me so I'm less inclined to collect ones I don't ride. My parents have the niche thing going on: single each, tandem, travel-tandem, little ones for the grand-kids... it is like a uke collection! All road bikes though: no mountain or track bikes to really fill it out.

I think my Dad's toned down his TdF watching this year and is recording it rather than watching it live from a 7 time-zone offset.

I have a bicycle.

***WARNING*** Public Math

This formula works for both Bicycles and Ukuleles:

[the right number to own] = N + 1, where N = the number of bicycles/ukuleles you currently own

Here's another quote that works for both:

"When I die I hope my spouse doesn't sell my (bikes / ukes) for the price she thinks I paid for them."

Next challenge: How to play an ukulele while on a bicycle...:confused:

The difference for me is not the bikes, it’s the parts. 3 of my 4 bikes were built up from the frame and I have modified/upgraded all of my and my wife’s bikes to to some extent. Unlike some others, I’m riding more vintage bikes, so the acquisition syndrome has been higher end older parts (derailleurs, shifters, wheelsets, etc), that were out of my reach when I was younger. At my age the gram saving modern tech doesn’t interest me so much.

With maybe the exception of vintage tuners, there is not a whole lot of parts to accumulate for a ukulele.

John

Next challenge: How to play an ukulele while on a bicycle...:confused:

Hands-free center-steered recumbent a la Python Lowracer. In the mid- to late-2000s, this recumbent format generated some interest. These bikes are not known for their short learning curves; playing while riding would certainly be inadvisable.

Last edited:
Ha, ha, that was one of the things that put me off recumbents - plus you can't see over the hedges. :)

I think I had about 19 bikes at one time, 7 rideable, & used regularly, the others partially built & stored, (& they were all kept in the house).

I do seem to amass whatever I'm interested in - lots of ukes, lots of high & low whistles, many harmonicas, & several flutes, (even though I can barely play my flutes, as I'm still developing my embouchure). ;)

You own lots of whistles? HA - that's awesome! Didn't know it was even a thing. Now I'm curious, but I fear if I research I'll wind up buying 5 of them. Hahaha

Top Bottom