Southcoast Strings "Dupes" for Light Gauge/ Low Tension Strings?

_Silly_Me_Sitting_Here_

Reaction score
Hey, guys! It's been a while since I've been here on the boards, but I need new strings & I thought I'd stop in to check the archives for string recommendations... Of course, I was not expecting to learn of Dirk's passing (from Southcoast Ukes). Wow. What an incredible loss. My deepest sympathies go out to his family & everyone else he has touched over the years in the worldwide ukulele community.

I'm hoping that you guys might know where I can find "dupes" for some of Dirk's string sets. Specifically, the "Light Gauge Ukulele - Item # LU" - which are the best strings I ever put on my tenor uke. Those strings are like butter - super lightweight & easy on the fingers - but bright, tight and cheerful on the uke.

Since I can't get another set of Southcoast light gauge strings, I'm looking for two new sets of super low tension strings - one for a tenor with re-entrant tuning & one for a tenor w/ two wound strings/ linear tuning.

I appreciate any input you guys can offer....
Thanks so much!

Are you using the LU for normal gCEA tuning or up a notch to aDF#B ?

You said low tension so I'm assuming C tuning, but then you said "tight" so that contradicts low tension.

Last edited:
I will say that Living Water has a low tension tenor set you can order as a "custom" set. When I asked Ken about it he said he didn't really recommend it as it lacked volume and tone compared to the standard set, but he provides it for folks with a medical condition or really strong preference for the lower tension. I have no idea how this set compares with the SC LU set.

Thanks, Jim! I'm using the Southcoast low gauge set on a tenor uke w/ gCEA tuning. I say "tight" because the strings don't feel flimsy the way you'd expect low-tension strings to feel. I mean, they're definitely soft... But I suppose I'm having a hard time describing exactly what I like about them. Regardless, they really do produce a lot of volume & brightness - even with the low gauge. I sure wish I could order another set! :(

For the two-wound linear, you might want to look at this:
https://www.stringsbymail.com/custom-customer-concoction-hd-tenor-uke-21670.html

The TI30/27 combo should make for a comfortable G&C on tenor. It won't be "super low tension" but it's medium at best, certainly not high. The uppers in that set you might want to swap out for something else. The creator of that set is Hollis Dwyer who is a UU member. He might be able to weigh in on others he tried or have recommendations for lower tension options.

Thanks, Jim! I'm using the Southcoast low gauge set on a tenor uke w/ gCEA tuning. I say "tight" because the strings don't feel flimsy the way you'd expect low-tension strings to feel. I mean, they're definitely soft... But I suppose I'm having a hard time describing exactly what I like about them. Regardless, they really do produce a lot of volume & brightness - even with the low gauge. I sure wish I could order another set! :(

Well, you could get Living Waters in standard and low tension and just see what you think.

A cheaper option might be Martin M600s. They are thinner and might give the brightness you're after. I have them on a tenor at Bb tuning and they are lower tension there. Not sure how they'd be at gCEA but it's worth a shot.

Thanks, Jim! I'm putting the "custom concoction" in my cart right now (by Hollis Dwyer). We'll see how it works! :)

The Thomastik wounds are ok but not really low tension. The Savarez florocarbon E and A string are high tension.

Jim was referring to the Thomastik only

The Thomastik wounds are ok but not really low tension. The Savarez florocarbon E and A string are high tension.

Got it.. Thank you! I haven't ordered yet... Still looking around. I tell you, this string-buying stuff is a science!

The custom concoctions do not happen by chance, they are the result of some experimentation and maybe discussion with the string seller. Perhaps it is possible to send an email to the string seller and ask for some advice, maybe that will result in a new concoction to duplicate the South Coast set?

Excellent advice. Strings by Mail are VERY knowledgable and helpful. They are my go to place for strings

The custom concoctions do not happen by chance, they are the result of some experimentation and maybe discussion with the string seller. Perhaps it is possible to send an email to the string seller and ask for some advice, maybe that will result in a new concoction to duplicate the South Coast set?
hollisdwyer is the UU name of the creator of this set. Why not send him a private message and ask him to weigh in - maybe point him to this thread

A quick and dirty string overview can be found on the Worth string chart. I say this because the chart give diameters associated with Light, Heavy, etc. sets. I’m not saying you’ll find a Southcoast dup there, but you will see that, generally speaking, string diameter of the same type of string drives tension. When Ken Middleton says low tension lacks tone and volume, it’s possibly be due to thinner strings.

Dirk had sources that are yet unknown to date. I always suggest documenting Southcoast strings, by measuring the diameter (digital calipers) and keep any string remnants in hopes that one day someone will stumble upon the right mix to create a duplicate set.

John

When Ken Middleton says low tension lacks tone and volume, it’s possibly be due to thinner strings.
Yes, exactly. He gave me the gauges. They're not a "secret". They are the same "quality" of fluorocarbon as the normal sets just thinner. For example, the 'a' string is the normal soprano 'a', the 'e' is the normal baritone 'e' etc.

Yes, exactly. He gave me the gauges. They're not a "secret". They are the same "quality" of fluorocarbon as the normal sets just thinner. For example, the 'a' string is the normal soprano 'a', the 'e' is the normal baritone 'e' etc.

So, would it be safe to assume that a low-gauge set from Southcoast Ukes could be similar to, say, an extra long set of soprano fluorocarbon strings - assuming I use them on my tenor? I know I've read somewhere about folks using concert strings on tenors...

For the two-wound linear, you might want to look at this:
https://www.stringsbymail.com/custom-customer-concoction-hd-tenor-uke-21670.html

The TI30/27 combo should make for a comfortable G&C on tenor. It won't be "super low tension" but it's medium at best, certainly not high. The uppers in that set you might want to swap out for something else. The creator of that set is Hollis Dwyer who is a UU member. He might be able to weigh in on others he tried or have recommendations for lower tension options.

These ARE NOT low tension like the South Coast you had

Hi Olivia,

As promised in my PM to you earlier today here are my 2 cents worth on the subject:

Firstly, all of the above comments are good advice. In addition I would advise you to read the post that I initiated a while ago.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?134920-Frankenstein-String-Sets-What-Do-You-Use-For-Trebles&highlight=Frankenstein+String+sets

I found that the advice that was so generously provided by other UU members to be priceless in giving me the information I needed to make good string choices for my style of playing and the instruments that I own.

Down up Dave is right about the Savarez trebles that are part of the custom set that stringsbymail packaged from my suggestion. I do a lot of hammer on, hammer off and slide technique and like the higher tension strings There is however a variation to the custom concoction that you could consider.. That is replacing the Savarez trebles with Pyramid Lute strings (also available as singles, as are the Thomasik-Infeld Bases from Stringsbymail). Those Pyramid's come in a wide array of diameters so you should be able to find the perfect combo for your tastes.

A final word about the TI basses. I love them because, as I play amplified a lot, they are the most 'silent' strings I have ever come across. They have amazing sustain and tone but are just a little quiet un-amp'd IMO, which doesn't bother me at all. Using them for both the G and C though provides you with a very balanced pair of bases that I don't think that you'd get if you mixed up different brands (I've tried but haven't found any that work as well as a bass pair).

Anyway, hope this info helps you on your journey to find your own holy grail string set.

Thank you so much, Hollis!!!

So, let's say I want to try something like Worth Brown BL on my low-G tenor (since I hear they're "thin" and will perhaps give me that lower tension that I'm looking for). What will I do about my low-G? Can I throw a single wound string on there? If so, is there such a thing as a low-tension wound G?

Thanks a ton for all the input, guys!!!

So, would it be safe to assume that a low-gauge set from Southcoast Ukes could be similar to, say, an extra long set of soprano fluorocarbon strings - assuming I use them on my tenor? I know I've read somewhere about folks using concert strings on tenors...
Yeah, kinda, sorta. That's what I was saying with my suggestion of Martin M600s (which were plenty long for my tenor, BTW.) But note that the low tension tenor Living Water set is *not* just a long soprano set. So whether you'd find a particular soprano set suitable for your purposes is really a matter of trial and error.

Can I throw a single wound string on there? If so, is there such a thing as a low-tension wound G?
Sure you can. Again, the TI30 may work for you. The Fremont Soloist is also often mentioned. There are loads of classical guitar strings you could try as well.

I don't think it has been suggested in this thread to tune down, but if you're open to that, it is an easy way to drop the tension and many tenors sound great in reentrant Bb instead of C. Just another option.

Top Bottom