What’s with these “hard shell” gig bags.

Kibes37

Reaction score
I’m must not be aware of something. Which is the case a lot :) When I got my first Uke, I got a Kala hard shell gig bag. The guy at the store struggled to zip it up. I thought “does that even fit?” Seemed to put a lot of pressure on the front of the Uke. I ended up not using it because I thought something was wrong. I get that there is material meant to give, but it still seemed like too much pressure.

Well fast forward to today, I just got a Mono Vertigo gig bag from my wife for my Clara. I believe this is the updated model from the one Blackbird reccomends. I hope not. I checked the dimensions and the vertigo is the same or bigger. Anyway, I don’t have my Clara yet, so I tried my flea. I definitely did not like the pressure. The build quality of the case is awesome, but I’m returning it. I hope I missed something and the original model is deeper. Either way I’m all hard cases from here. I want my instrument held gently with awesome protection around it. Not with a bunch of consistent pressure with more possible.

I could be totally ignorant and the pressure is fine or a good thing. Doesn’t feel right to me..

Last edited:
I've seen other cases that have padding that seems to put extra pressure on a ukulele, too. I get that it's supposed to hold the ukulele in place and protect it, but I worry about there being too much pressure on the ukulele. I'd love to hear what people have to say about that. Must be OK, or they wouldn't sell the cases like that? But it would worry me.

IF I have to force a lid shut, even the slightest bit, it's too snug.

I've seen other cases that have padding that seems to put extra pressure on a ukulele, too. I get that it's supposed to hold the ukulele in place and protect it, but I worry about there being too much pressure on the ukulele. I'd love to hear what people have to say about that. Must be OK, or they wouldn't sell the cases like that? But it would worry me.

I thought the strap the goes around the neck in cases does a good job of holding it in place. I haven't seen these cases, but I don't think pressure is required to protect a uke.

The Clara is a reasonably thin uke, so it may fit. It also comes with a Gator gig bag which is a quality bag and may suffice to not have to look for an upgrade. Get the Clara in hand before you make a decision.

I’m must not be aware of something. Which is the case a lot :) When I got my first Uke, I got a Kala hard shell gig bag. The guy at the store struggled to zip it up. I thought “does that even fit?” Seemed to put a lot of pressure on the front of the Uke. I ended up not using it because I thought something was wrong. I get that there is material meant to give, but it still seemed like too much pressure.

Well fast forward to today, I just got a Mono Vertigo gig bag from my wife for my Clara. I believe this is the updated model from the one Blackbird reccomends. I hope not. I checked the dimensions and the vertigo is the same or bigger. Anyway, I don’t have my Clara yet, so I tried my flea. I definitely did not like the pressure. The build quality of the case is awesome, but I’m returning it. I hope I missed something and the original model is deeper. Either way I’m all hard cases from here. I want my instrumental held gently with awesome protection around it. Not with a bunch of consistent pressure with more possible.

I could be totally ignorant and the pressure is fine or a good thing. Doesn’t feel right to me..

I have a Mono M80 for my tenor uke and think it is great! The vertigo is a newer model and based off their guitar bags I think. I haven’t seen too much information about them. The M80 has a neck cradle with a Velcro part to keep the uke in place. I heard the reunion blues continental gig bags are pretty rugged too. For some of my hard cases (especially those without an arched top), I see string intentions in the velvet lining.

I don’t think any of the cases are meant to withstand us standing on them.

The Clara is a reasonably thin uke, so it may fit. It also comes with a Gator gig bag which is a quality bag and may suffice to not have to look for an upgrade. Get the Clara in hand before you make a decision.

That’s probably a good idea, but I think I’m a hard case guy. I could see the gig bag advantage more with guitars. With Ukes I have no problem carrying a hard case. As far as gig bags go Mono build quality is what I was hoping for. I watched a million YouTube videos since this post and I realize gig bags are fine for certain quality levels. The Clara is just difficult to locate a hard case for at the moment. I think the Southern Uke Store may have them now.

Anyhow, thanks.

I have a few of those hard, zippered cases, and they all suit the ukes that are in them. If the uke is a very tight fit, don't use it. One thing I like about the zippered cases is that they often allow for an odd-shaped uke to fit inside.

‘Ukulele sizes differ, and neck thicknesses differ. The same is true of cases. If your instrument has a thicker neck, the neck support in the case may need to be lowered a bit. Even an eighth of an inch can make a big difference.

Remove the screws from the outside of the case that hold the neck support in place and then lift out the support. You can test-fit your ‘ukulele to see if this is going to help.

If you decide it will help, shave some height from the bottom of the support, re-insert the support into the case, and test-fit your instrument again. When you get it right, remove your ‘ukulele and screw the neck support in place.

Last edited:
Isn't the whole point of the Clara that it's nearly indestructible? If I had one, I'd get a cheap gig bag just to make it easy to carry.

To throw a fly into the ointment regarding hardcases. Have a look at the padding or fur lining on the top at the bridge area. If it shows an impression of the bridge and strings the top is pressing down directly on the most venerable area of the ukulele. Most every hard case does this, the only ones that don't do this have a ring of padding around the perimeter of the top, leaving the middle untouched. A high quality gig bag like Mono or Fusion apply less pressure, I own all of the above and have experienced this for myself. That Fusion gig bag has been trusted to carry my Koolau on many flights and voyages

20190611_104000.jpg20190611_103921.jpg20190611_104225.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TBB
To throw a fly into the ointment regarding hardcases. Have a look at the padding or fur lining on the top at the bridge area. If it shows an impression of the bridge and strings the top is pressing down directly on the most venerable area of the ukulele. Most every hard case does this, the only ones that don't do this have a ring of padding around the perimeter of the top, leaving the middle untouched. A high quality gig bag like Mono or Fusion apply less pressure, I own all of the above and have experienced this for myself. That Fusion gig bag has been trusted to carry my Koolau on many flights and voyages

View attachment 118840View attachment 118841View attachment 118839
Thanks for the pics and experience. My other hard cases do the same. All the cases you showed do not apply the same pressure. Again it’s probably fine, but my guy doesn’t like it. I emailed Mono and they said to send a pic. I would have thought they were familiar with Blackbird if they are featured on their webpage. Thanks again Dave

Isn't the whole point of the Clara that it's nearly indestructible? If I had one, I'd get a cheap gig bag just to make it easy to carry.

I sprung for the nice finish so now it needs more care. Just because it’s basically humidity proof, doesn’t mean it can be dropped or tossed about. It will be my most expensive Uke.

While the Clara isn’t totally indestructible, it should hold up fine in the original Gator gig bag. The purpose of a Clara, or an Outdoor, or a KLOS is to be able to take it with you. I’ve hiked with a Clara, taken a KLOS in a Gator bag on my back on bike rides. If I felt I needed a hard shell case to protect a Clara, I would probably re-consider why I'm buying it. But I will say that a Clara does sound great regardless.

John

While the Clara isn’t totally indestructible, it should hold up fine in the original Gator gig bag. The purpose of a Clara, or an Outdoor, or a KLOS is to be able to take it with you. I’ve hiked with a Clara, taken a KLOS in a Gator bag on my back on bike rides. If I felt I needed a hard shell case to protect a Clara, I would probably re-consider why I'm buying it. But I will say that a Clara does sound great regardless.

John

I know what you mean. Getting a nicer Clara seems weird, but it’s not like it’s a Flea. It should have some of the best tone out there. I know subjective. Plus it’s probably gonna be my main recording Uke. I will still play it outside, but it won’t be far from a protective case. It won’t be leaning up against a tree. At least for the first year.

Well fast forward to today, I just got a Mono Vertigo gig bag from my wife for my Clara. I believe this is the updated model from the one Blackbird reccomends. I hope not. I checked the dimensions and the vertigo is the same or bigger. Anyway, I don’t have my Clara yet, so I tried my flea. I definitely did not like the pressure. The build quality of the case is awesome, but I’m returning it. I hope I missed something and the original model is deeper. Either way I’m all hard cases from here. I want my instrument held gently with awesome protection around it. Not with a bunch of consistent pressure with more possible.

I just realized you don't have your Clara yet. As John said the firm sided gig bag that is comes with is excellent. I owned a Farallon and the gig bag it came with was of very good quality and I took the uke camping with me. See what you think about the stock case, you should be pleased.

I really like the Reunion Blues Continental cases (bags?) since they came down to about 40% of what they cost originally. I got one for $60 for my Tiny Tenor, which looks similarly shaped to the Clara. I just did not like the case that came with it, nor the Uke Crazy one that came with another instrument I got (which I replaced with a $35 wooden hard case). Both seemed flimsy - in particular, the zippers looked inadequate, small and thin, more like pants zippers than something to rely on to open and close on an instrument case day after day. The RBC zippers are large and very heavy duty, and the case itself very sturdily constructed and well-designed, and even left room for yet more padding, which I inserted around the Tiny Tenor body and doubled its thickness. The RBC is just as bulky as the original, but I trust it much more than the so-called "hard shell foam" ones that are an oxymoron, IMO.

bratsche

View attachment 118840View attachment 118841View attachment 118839
Im curious, 10 years later do you still love the Fusion. I just got one and cant seem to love it no matter how hard I try.

Im curious, 10 years later do you still love the Fusion. I just got one and cant seem to love it no matter how hard I try.

Yes I do still love it. The front pocket could be larger but I use a tablet instead of a laptop so it works fine. I love the protection it provides, the straps, the handle and the overall form factory.

What don't you like about yours???

Last edited:
Top Bottom