Do I Need to Fix the EQ?

dkbrantley

Reaction score
So...my wife got me a ukulele bass for my birthday. It's a Donner. Cheapest one I could find. I didn't want to put much into it, because I'm not really a bass player. But they look so fun!

Anyway, I got it and was in love. Super fun to play. Then I plug it in.

The bottom three strings (ADG) all sound great - loud, clear, etc. But the E string? I can barely hear it at all.

I suspect the pick-up (it's a piezo, right?) is faulty or not resting under the E string fully or something. But the seller tells me it's a problem with the EQ.

Since I tried the bass on two amps (an actual bass amp and a little guitar amp to see if something would change), I'm thinking EQ won't fix anything. And isn't EQ to change the sound/quality of output, not the volume of a specific string?

If I had the uke with my right now, I'd play with the EQ and record the results, but I'm at work.

That said, here's a 7-second YouTube video of the volume difference. (EDIT: Video makes the E sound a bit louder than it is in real life. Guessing my smart phone equalized the volume for me.)

https://youtu.be/23pJA-iqk0s

Besides the fact that I shouldn't have bought the cheapest possible option, what say ye?

So...my wife got me a ukulele bass for my birthday. It's a Donner. Cheapest one I could find. I didn't want to put much into it, because I'm not really a bass player. But they look so fun!

Anyway, I got it and was in love. Super fun to play. Then I plug it in.

The bottom three strings (ADG) all sound great - loud, clear, etc. But the E string? I can barely hear it at all.

I suspect the pick-up (it's a piezo, right?) is faulty or not resting under the E string fully or something. But the seller tells me it's a problem with the EQ.

Since I tried the bass on two amps (an actual bass amp and a little guitar amp to see if something would change), I'm thinking EQ won't fix anything. And isn't EQ to change the sound/quality of output, not the volume of a specific string?

If I had the uke with my right now, I'd play with the EQ and record the results, but I'm at work.

That said, here's a 7-second YouTube video of the volume difference. (EDIT: Video makes the E sound a bit louder than it is in real life. Guessing my smart phone equalized the volume for me.)

https://youtu.be/23pJA-iqk0s

Besides the fact that I shouldn't have bought the cheapest possible option, what say ye?

Eek! Put this in the wrong place. Moving it to the bass section. Sorry...

Top Bottom