PDA

View Full Version : NVUD: 1950s Harmony Baritone

YogiTom
06-12-2019, 04:21 PM
This is what I am selling my Moon Bird to make room for, believe it or not.

I found it at a vintage music shop in Portland on a recent trip with my wife and she agreed that it was different enough from the rest of the herd to warrant buying, provided I let one go, too.

For $200, including a hardshell, archtop Kala case that fits it like a glove, I’d say this is my favorite “steal”. Now I just have to re-learn what chords are where... :rolleyes:

Please excuse my pitchy singing and improvised finger picking...it wasn’t planned, and I think you can tell. :p

https://youtu.be/StVX6E91upg

rainbow21
06-12-2019, 04:53 PM
Enjoy your new uke!

You married a wonderful woman... I bet she will continue to agree that you can buy a $200 uke if you sell another for $1000.

Jim Hanks
06-12-2019, 05:04 PM
For $200, including a hardshell, archtop Kala case that fits it like a glove, I’d say this is my favorite “steal”. Now I just have to re-learn what chords are where... :rolleyes:
Nice find. You don't have to re-learn chords if you don't want to. I still think of my baritones as if they were in GCEA. I'll transpose the chord sheet when I need to be in the same key as another's instrument

YogiTom
06-12-2019, 05:35 PM
Nice find. You don't have to re-learn chords if you don't want to. I still think of my baritones as if they were in GCEA. I'll transpose the chord sheet when I need to be in the same key as another's instrument

I’m doing it the same way for the most part, but it can make singing a challenge. Some songs it actually feels better to play as if I am tuned GCEA, but others push the vocals out of my natural range. This one fell in the latter category. :)

YogiTom
06-12-2019, 05:37 PM
You married a wonderful woman...

I try to tell her as much every day. I’m beyond lucky/blessed/whatever you want to call it to have her as my partner in life. :)

glennerd
06-12-2019, 06:06 PM
Awesome uke! I never caught the Moonbird bug, so seems like a good exchange to me. I'm inspired to pull my bari now.

AustinHing
06-12-2019, 06:38 PM
Congrats on your barry, Tom. Love the fiction tuners look. Ukes come and go as your ukulele journey take different paths than you expected it to go.

YogiTom
06-12-2019, 07:35 PM
Congrats on your barry, Tom. Love the fiction tuners look. Ukes come and go as your ukulele journey take different paths than you expected it to go.

Thanks; it has been a fun journey so far, and it can only get better from here.

YogiTom
06-12-2019, 07:52 PM
For those interested in picking one of these up, there seems to be one for sale on the GoodWill auction site: https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/69946928

Definitely has seen better days, but it appears to be an old Harmony baritone.

DownUpDave
06-12-2019, 10:11 PM
First off congratulations on your baritone, I really enjoy the tonal difference compared to a "standard" uke. Be warned though, baritones can lead to guitars, ask me how I know.

Now the topic about one in one out......your math doesn't work. You are selling a $1000 instrument but this Harmony cost you $200. By my reconig you can buy 5 instruments at $200 because 5200 = 1000. Just saying ;)

DownUpDave
06-12-2019, 10:14 PM
First off congratulations on your baritone, I really enjoy the tonal difference compared to a "standard" uke. Be warned though, baritones can lead to guitars, ask me how I know.

Now the topic about one in one out......your math doesn't work. You are selling a $1000 instrument but this Harmony cost you $200. By my reckoning you can buy 5 instruments at $200 each because 5200 = 1000. Just saying ;)

YogiTom
06-13-2019, 03:14 AM

Now the topic about one in one out......your math doesn't work. You are selling a $1000 instrument but this Harmony cost you $200. By my reconig you can buy 5 instruments at $200 because 5200 = 1000. Just saying ;)

I was never the best at math...no wonder my wife was so cool with it! :p

And, to be fair, that Moon Bird still hasn’t flown to a new home, sooo....yeah. Haha

Osprey
06-13-2019, 05:02 AM
It really isn’t too hard to pick up the Baritone chords. You already know all the chord shapes. I struggled at first but now I can switch back and forth with some ease. After a minute or two playing either the Baritone or Tenor my brain switches to that tuning and the chords find themselves OK.

bacchettadavid
06-13-2019, 05:30 AM
$200/uke * 5 ukes =/= 1 $1000 uke

Here's how the math works:

$200/uke * 5 ukes + $500/cu.ft. unhappy spouse surcharge = $6,000 'ukulele bonfire

On a serious note, that Harmony really rounds out your 'ukulele collection. It's got a nice growl on some of those open chords.

Nickie
06-13-2019, 06:21 AM
I met a fellow who tuned his Kala bari to GCEA.
I asked him if it had a truss rod in the neck....

bratsche
06-13-2019, 09:56 AM

GCEA an octave lower would work fine, with the right strings. And would be much easier on the neck. :)

bratsche

Nickie
06-13-2019, 11:22 AM
GCEA an octave lower would work fine, with the right strings. And would be much easier on the neck. :)

bratsche

I Suppose it would, but he had her cranked up to "Our" octave.

DownUpDave
06-13-2019, 12:09 PM

With light enough gauge strings you can do it, I have.