Look Ma....No Ears!

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Ok, sometimes I can't leave well enough alone. I have a Martin T1K tenor, which I like alot. It had the stock open gear Grover tuners, with white buttons. I also had a set of Gotoh UPTL tuners with pearl buttons, just hanging around here, which have been on a couple of other ukes. I finally succumbed and installed them on the Martin. It required very little reaming, only from the back. The stock Grovers weren't bad, but the UPTLs turn even more smoothly, like velvet. I also like the look better, plus tuning from the back, instead of the sides. Minor points, to be sure, but they all add up to a more enjoyable playing experience.

20190613_131246.jpg
20190613_131224.jpg
20190613_130504.jpg
20190613_131204.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice - big improvement. Those "ears" are like sideview mirrors on a car - sort of necessary, but not very attractive.

Are you going to do anything with those holes? I put Gotohs on a Pono soprano, and I left the holes alone. I may fill them in, though.

I'll probably just fill the holes with one of those Minwax Blend-Fil pencil/crayons, if the color is right.

20190613_133723.jpg

are the Gotohs a lot heavier than the open geared tuners or friction tuners? People do seem to really love them.

are the Gotohs a lot heavier than the open geared tuners or friction tuners? People do seem to really love them.

They are certainly heavier, but on a tenor sized instrument I would imagine the difference is not noticeable.

FWIW, the previous owner of my Kamaka Keiki put UPTs on it, and I barely feel the extra weight in the headstock. And that’s a light little soprano! Of course, yemv.

Wow!
I always thought those geared tuners (also the gold logo sticker) didn't measure up to the beauty of the instrument.
I have a set of UPT's on a laminate Kiwaya I would like to steal for one of my solid ukes.
What would I be left with in terms of holes, et. And what can I slide in their place?

It does look so much classier with the UPTs. So what’s the next mod? :)

Wow!
I always thought those geared tuners (also the gold logo sticker) didn't measure up to the beauty of the instrument.
I have a set of UPT's on a laminate Kiwaya I would like to steal for one of my solid ukes.
What would I be left with in terms of holes, et. And what can I slide in their place?

The Grover open geared tuners, as on the T1K, would cover the holes left by the UPTs, but then you'd have ears! Most frictions are too small to cover, maybe wait for a set of those new Graphtech ones that are coming out soon?

p
It does look so much classier with the UPTs. So what’s the next mod? :)

Well, I won't be cutting any side soundports! :D Only thing I would probably even consider would be a polish to the body, which I did to a few satin acoustic guitars in the past. It really cut down on extraneous finger swishing noise, and looked great too.

m3.JPG

Last edited:
It looks much nicer without them ears :2cents:

p

Well, I won't be cutting any side soundports! :D Only thing I would probably even consider would be a polish to the body, which I did to a few satin acoustic guitars in the past. It really cut down on extraneous finger swishing noise, and looked great too.

View attachment 118908

I think it’s going to look great with the polish.

I don't mind the "ears" on any of my ukuleles—except the ugly, cheap ones on my Kanile'a K-1Ts. They just aren't something I think are objectionable and if done right, can be quite nice and accent the design of the instrument.

I love the conversion to rear facing tuners. I have swapped over a Pono tenor and a Mya Moe baritone from rabbit ears to UPT and I own 4 other ukes with them. So yea I kinda like them. Nice looking Martin, the koa has good figure and color. A polish job would make it pop for sure.

Top Bottom