He asked

Martinlover

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Oh no! After 3 and a half years, my husband asked me how many ukuleles I have. I said, don’t ask. But he said, I’m asking.

So, not including the 4 vintage plastic ukuleles, the cigar box baritone, the Mya Moe lap steel (because is that really a uke?), and the one I’m about to sell—I’d say maybe 7? Luckily, I sold 4 over the last year and gave away a soprano I won. Maybe it’s good I missed out on that Stansell baritone. I mean 7 sounds reasonable, right?

Last edited:
Piker, in my first year over 5 years ago, I went through 16, culled them to 4 and have now worked my way up to 9. I also started playing bass uke and including the 5 being made or modified, 25.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I just don’t want to turn into the crazy uke lady, hoarding ukuleles. There’s some care and feeding involved with these musical instruments.

They're small. If he couldn't tell how many you have without asking, you don't have too many.

Well, it does not seem like an excessive number for 3 1/2 years. Assuming this is an important hobby/pasttime, then spending on the ukes is not an unreasonable offshoot of playing them... as long as your financial situation allows for it.

When I purchased one a few months ago, my wife asked, "Is this the last one?". I looked her in the eye and replied, "No."

My children had asked. I tell them, "I don't know." And end it at that.

"...not including..." isn't fair. I stopped doing that. If it's a uke, and you own it, you have to count it. All of a sudden, 7 becomes 14. :D

My son sees ukes arrive every week or so, and he sees the cases all around the house, but he's never asked.

I said this on another thread: My hubby’s okay with the number of ukes I have because I always remind him that Jerry has 60. True.

I said this on another thread: My hubby’s okay with the number of ukes I have because I always remind him that Jerry has 60. True.

We need to keep encouraging Jerry to buy more!

IMO, the number doesn't really matter, as long as you can afford them and are enjoying playing them.

If you enjoy them, why not - just tell him that if you didn't play them you might go around all day moaning about things, & maybe about him & his hobbies. ;)

Top Bottom