Uke Case and/or bag

FalconSpork

Reaction score
I'm planning on traveling this summer, one trip on a bus, one in a 16 passenger van, and one on a plane. I want to purchase a case for my soprano uke because I don't feel conferable leaving it in the gig bag for travel. I plan to have the uke case as my only carry on so I'd like pockets and I would prefer shoulder straps.

That being said, what would be a good case for under 40 dollars? I'm not a big fan of the hard shell cases, and I don't want a lot of weight.

I was thinking about this case or something like it:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend....Featherweight-Soprano-Ukulele-Case?sku=545209

any suggestions?

MGM sells one very much like that. His has a bit more rigidity, I would think, as it has an inner plywood shell (if I'm not mistaken).

Mine is very light, and I feel as if the uke is adequately protected. It has the pockets and the shoulder straps, and the outer covering is the same material. I think his sells for $34 in soprano size (less in larger sizes....go figure).

MGM is great to deal with....you can't go wrong.

isn't the link you showed a hardcase?
but if you order from musicianfriend.com here's a coupon code.
15off4u
there's 15% off your purchase! maybe it'll make you not have to pay for shipping in the end. yay!
have fun traveling!

Falconspork- I bought a nice padded gig bag from ukerepublic for $30. I used to travel with my hardcase but it becomes heavy. I now travel with a padded gig bag and I keep the uke with me at all times. Just make sure that everyone is aware of the uke and it's value. It makes people more respectful of the uke.
BTW-The uke doesn't have to be your carry on. It can be your small personal item.

Cases

Uke Republic is good source, but I also found a company out of Canada that sells uke semi-rigid cases for about $25 - and they gave me free shipping! Can't beat that deal with a stick!

The company is Empire Music, Canada - and here is the link.

http://www.empire-music.com/Canada/English/Catalogue.cfm?ProductID=SMC-21

I can't guarantee that they are going to give everybody free shipping, but it can't hurt to ask. And by the way, I live in the U.S., so you do not have to live in the frozen north to get this deal.

I'm planning on traveling this summer, one trip on a bus, one in a 16 passenger van, and one on a plane. I want to purchase a case for my soprano uke because I don't feel conferable leaving it in the gig bag for travel. I plan to have the uke case as my only carry on so I'd like pockets and I would prefer shoulder straps.

That being said, what would be a good case for under 40 dollars? I'm not a big fan of the hard shell cases, and I don't want a lot of weight.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend....Featherweight-Soprano-Ukulele-Case?sku=545209

any suggestions?

i have that case as well as the standard MGM case. they are very similar in weight, both being styrofoam covered with nylon. one difference is the MGM case has a small inside compartment where you can store knick-knacks, tchotchkes, and bric-a-brac. both have an outside pocket.

That seems to be the standard MGM case. It's light and has shoulder straps. It should do the trick under most circumstances provided you don't do anything silly. I'd travel with one and wouldn't worry too much about it beyond keeping it in sight the whole time. (I'd be more afraid of leaving it somewhere than it getting damaged because I'm like that.)

Uke Republic is good source, but I also found a company out of Canada that sells uke semi-rigid cases for about $25 - and they gave me free shipping! Can't beat that deal with a stick!

The company is Empire Music, Canada - and here is the link.

http://www.empire-music.com/Canada/English/Catalogue.cfm?ProductID=SMC-21

I can't guarantee that they are going to give everybody free shipping, but it can't hurt to ask. And by the way, I live in the U.S., so you do not have to live in the frozen north to get this deal.

Mahalo Tsani. That is a great deal. I'm gonna try to get a free shipping as well.

As long as you can bring it with you as a carry-on the MGM case is your best bet (since it's lightweight but does have some rigidity). It's only downfall as a carry-on is that it only has one pocket, which doesn't provide a lot of space.

If there's any chance at all that your uke may end up tossed in with other baggage then you definitely need to get a hard case.

any suggestions?

The one people are mentioning from MGM seems to be the near-universal lightweight hard case. That said, I like the one you show better because the handles are built into the cover of the case rather than a hard handle that is somehow attached to the styrofoam under the cover. Just seems like the one that you linked to above does a better job of distributing the weight over a greater area, and that seems like a better recipe for longevity.

Top Bottom