Aquila Red - revisited

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
I just tried the new formula ( deeper red) Aquila Reds and I must say I really like them. I put them on a solid top TT and they sing. Very nice. Great Feel . No breakage issues. You can definitely tell the difference with new formula. Try them if you haven't already. They are excellent.

I also, tried the New Nylgut on my TT only in concert. I have never really liked the Nylgut but gave the new ones a try, in concert to get tension down and size of C string down. I always found the Nylgut to be boomy on C string. Well, I like them a lot.

That got me to thinking, I'm going to try Lava again which I liked on Tenor but had too much tension. I'm going to try concert. I've read super Nylgut and Lava are the same - save the color.

I will report back in once I do. Funny, this is from a self proclaimed fluro carbon guy.

Its good to occasionally revisit what you thought you new and try different things.

I am a HUGE fan of the Aquila reds. They are my choice for bright tones and bring a nice counter balance to my ukes strung with Martin u600s, which are warm in tone. Due to longevity, comfort, and tone improvement, these have replaced the spots which used to be held by Worth Browns.

I have not tried the Reds, but that sounds great. The Martin Premium strings, which are made by Aquila, are also worth a try.

This was the latest Red thread I found, so I'll post my short recommendation here: They're good on my acacia concert! Most likely my favorite Aquila string.

No breaking issues, sound similar to fluorocarbons. Maybe a bit more silent, somewhat surprisingly. At least it's possible to play them very quiet, but they do lack character a bit then.

I think I'll stick to fluorocarbons though, also because my dry fingers aren't a huge fan of the matt surface of the Reds. But it's nice to know these are a good choice, if fluoroc. isn't available.

Next order Imwill return to Red and add in Sugar for a comparison. I’ve found the RED to always be very bring and sound nice. They are not quiet IMHO.........on the couple ukes I’ve had them on....TT, Pono Acacia, Fluke..........It always good to have a few Sets around. I like what Mimmo has done for the Uke world and like to support his brand. That said, I’m definitely a fluro player!

Top Bottom