NUD: David Hanson 5 string tenor: "Caramelele"

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
A lot has already been written about this uke in the build thread:
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?138664-Build-Thread-Cripple-Creek-5-String-Tenor

To summarize, the goal was a 5-string tenor with equal string spacing with tuning clearly "uke plus one" instead of "guitar minus one".

David Hanson, aka Cripple Creek Mandolins was up for the challenge.

Specs:
17" tenor ukulele scale
"Mandolele" body shape
Overall length: 28"
Width: 12"
Depth: 3"
Gotoh UPTL planetary geared tuners
Radiused fingerboard, 12" radius
8.5mm string spacing, 40mm (1-9/16") nut
String through bridge
Living Water fluorocarbon strings, dGCEA (0.70/0.91/0.74/0.66/0.57)

Here is the final rundown on the ten (!) woods used:
top - western red cedar
back/sides - maple, lightly curled
bindings/headplate - curly koa
neck - Spanish cedar w/ walnut stringer
rosette - cherry/maple
fingerboard/bridge - rosewood
braces - spruce
glue linings - basswood
back brace - mahogany

With all the visible woods being (mostly light) brown tones, David dubbed it the "Caramelele". I'm not usually one to name my ukes, but I'm willing to make an exception for this one.

Intonation is spot on. Setup is perfect. Very comfortable playing surface with the string spacing and radiused fretboard.

I'd say the tone is just what you hope for from a cedar top - warm lows and "sparkly" but not harsh highs. Lots of sustain.

Speaking of the top, I have to add that David expressed some disappointment with how the top turned out, showing more scratches and finish irregularities than he hoped for. He even offered to give a significant discount, but I declined. His price was already extremely reasonable for a one-of-a-kind build of this quality. Worth every penny and more - probably much more. Anybody that can't live with a few blemishes on a cedar top, shouldn't get a cedar top. (And they're not nearly as bad to my eye as they are to his.) I am not bothered in the slightest.

I couldn't be happier with the process and the product. David was absolutely great to work with, and I have no hesitation recommending him.

Here are a few pictures to whet your appetite. I'll have a "first look" video with sound sample in the next day or two - as soon as I can get it edited down.

Album on imgur: https://imgur.com/a/cTR2Lba

XSss6Lul.jpg

4tw6Oojl.jpg

tYOygEZl.jpg

OqGVDs5l.jpg

Last edited:
Congraulations Jim that turned out exceptionally well. All the colors tones and hues go well together and the whole package is very pleasing to the eye. If "Caramelele" sounds as tasty (see what I did there) as it looks you will be wanting second and third helpings.

Congratulations! Very nice. Can't wait to hear it!

bratsche

Looks-wise, Caramelele is quite a beauty. With it's unique design she is sure to turn a lot of heads.

Can't wait to hear how she sounds.

Really enjoyed following her build and your decisions along the way. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Congrats!

Congratulations Jim, that is an unusual looking uke!

Congratulations! Very nice. Can't wait to hear it!

bratsche

I totally agree with everyone's comments about it's beauty and I am definitely looking forward to hearing/seeing it played. It is just so much WOW. :)

Wow it's sounds even better than I had imagined. And it's really beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing the process with us. Congrats again :)

Wow! Fabulous, lush sound and sustain that goes on forever. Really nice. Enjoy exploring it's capabilities.

Loved the video. Very funny as well as informative.

Nice tone, but a bit weird (to me) tuning. Love the sustain, though! How is it for fingerpicking? How far apart are the strings at the bridge end?

bratsche

Amazing, Jim, I really like how you thought out the tuning to get such rich chords. Congratulations!

Wow, what a beauty. I love the sound! Congrats

Thanks everyone. :shaka:

Nice tone, but a bit weird (to me) tuning. Love the sustain, though! How is it for fingerpicking? How far apart are the strings at the bridge end?
Well, you do 5ths tuning on a uke, so you're one to talk about weird. :rofl:

String spacing at the bridge seems to be 11mm, 44mm total. We didn't talk about that during the build, but seems very comfortable to me.

I'll post a fingerpicking sample when I get a chance.

It's sorta a machete de rajão with extra booty!
Somebody else made that observation in the build thread, so yeah, if a rajao had "nylon" strings and a low G. :p

Well, you do 5ths tuning on a uke, so you're one to talk about weird. :rofl:
Yeah, I knew you'd say that, especially considering the deep-voiced big brother to yours that I'm planning to get next! :biglaugh:

bratsche

Top Bottom