Strap pins

Canada Jim

Reaction score
I'll never understand why ukuleles come with no strap pin installed. While it is possible to strum open first position chords without a strap, any up the neck closed chords or chord melody playing is nearly impossible to play standing and holding the uke without a strap.

You got me.... I like it when second-hand ukes already have them..not that I mind fitting a uke with end pins and strap buttons, but I feel weird doing so with really nice ukes.
My Kiwaya KTT-2K tenor and KTC-1 concert, for example, are both crying for straps but I can’t bring myself to drill them.

I'll never understand why ukuleles come with no strap pin installed. While it is possible to strum open first position chords without a strap, any up the neck closed chords or chord melody playing is nearly impossible to play standing and holding the uke without a strap.

Well to quote Tevye, "Tradition!"

I have 'em on all my 'uku, not only for better fingerboard access, but also you can quickly play smaller percussion or reposition mics, etc., without dropping your instrument. But here in Hawaii most players shun straps but can play upper position solos and barré chords surprisingly well while trading off support duty between hands.

Funny, when standing, I like straps on the ukes, but not the mandolas, and mandolas are almost twice as heavy. Go figure.

bratsche

I’m actually okay without the strap pin preinstalled on the uke. Sometimes the pin has this slight corrosion or oxidation when the uke is stored for such a long period before it is bought by someone. I tend to over scrutinise my ukulele before buying it.
I like strap pins but I also like having choices.

Possessing a genetic disposition for clumsiness, all of my Ukes have had strap pins installed. They also all have pickups so the lower bout end is taken care of with the output jack. I prefer the actual strap pin to be located on the underside of neck joint. Not all neck designs lend themselves to this but I get as close as possible so gravity is playing a part in keeping the strap attached

Here's is a photo of where I had the pin attached on an old Mya Moe of mine:
IMG_0147.jpg

I use strap pins also. Makes things easier, and I'm less likely to drop the ukulele by accident.

I don't find playing without a strap, standing up, makes those tasks "impossible" per se, but I do admit it adds stability and therefore enhancement.

I too install strap buttons on all my ukes, both at the butt and the neck.

I am considering installing a strap button on my main player, A WWII Martin Concert.
As I age I find it somewhat difficult to make some chord changes while keeping the head and fret board in place.
Haven't decided where to put the pin or the kind of strap.

Ah, yes. The strap! Like many other things, there are far too many choices. I've learned that a thinner strap is better than a wide, heavy one. I bought some quick-release strap button sets, and I'll have to decide what uke and what strap to use. Sarah Maisel of Chee/Maisel makes nice straps, and the money stays in the uke community.

I’m actually okay without the strap pin preinstalled on the uke. Sometimes the pin has this slight corrosion or oxidation when the uke is stored for such a long period before it is bought by someone. I tend to over scrutinise my ukulele before buying it.
I like strap pins but I also like having choices.

Great paintings.

I'm very much in the pro-strap, two strap button camp. I have strap buttons (or pick-ups) on the tail block and heel of all my ukuleles. I play standing up at times, and I find I have better control to move around the fret board with a strap whether sitting or standing. I debated and procrastinated for awhile about putting buttons on my KoAloha special issue LN soprano. I picked out some Waverly tortoise shell buttons that look good on it. Something a little nicer than the plain metal ones. I have my local acoustic guitar & uke shop install all my strap buttons, unless I have them pre-installed by HMS, Uke Republic, etc. I love Sherrins Threads 1 inch straps. I have a different pattern strap for each uke that matches the uke's personality or look. I contacted Sherrin directly to order a strap that was out of stock, and she helped me to get it.....a strap with blackbirds on it for my new Blackbird Clara.

I am considering installing a strap button on my main player, A WWII Martin Concert.
As I age I find it somewhat difficult to make some chord changes while keeping the head and fret board in place.

Thanks for your comment Pete, to me it certainly highlights one of the issues.

Some years back I was most reluctant to fit a strap button to any Uke and thought it to be too near to an act of vandalism to be acceptable. These days I lean towards it being a pragmatic modification which allows the Uke to be used for its intended purpose, IMHO they are built to be played.

The above said I’m wondering where the line is between making an instrument useful to the playing owner and defacing (by drilling to install a strap button) a valuable piece of history. I don’t know anything much about vintage instruments but you do and I’d be glad to hear your thoughts on where that line is.

Last edited:
The Martin Concert that I will install a strap, is a rescued one that had a very funky and large bridge added (removed and replaced) at one time and a patch of wood set in on the back as well as a few repaired cracks.
The only exception I would make, is to a museum piece.
I totally agree about being pragmatic "IHMO they. are built to be played".

For those who don't want to add strap pins for whatever reason, you may want to take a look at the Mobius Strap, which gives true hands-free support with no modification to your ukulele. More complete info at http://www.mobiusstrap.com.

I purchased a thin strap from Chee/Maisel, It arrived yesterday and I am pleased with the fit and looks.
Thanks Jerry

I use a piece of paracord or a boot lace, whichever I have around. I prefer it for a few reasons. It fits right in the case without removing it, it's comfortable, if I choose to not use it, I can leave it on and forget it's there, it's nearly free, I generally have some laying around.

Top Bottom