Hesitation on Reverb

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Looking through the offerings on Reverb, I often see that a uke is in someone's cart, and it will stay there for days. Right now, there is a Collings that is in two carts. Interesting situation.

I guess people think that if it's in their cart, it's safe. Not quite. "He who pays, plays."

It is definitely a sales tool for Reverb to get you panicked about loosing out on a purchase. To get you from “watcher” to “buyer”.

I have put a ukulele in my cart that someone else had in theirs, and then left it. I was curious to see if the other cart-putter would buy it now that someone else was just moments away from purchase. That was three weeks ago...the uke is still available...:rolleyes:

I toss things in my cart to remember them for later and so I can see what the final price will be with discounts, taxes, and shipping included. I buy seldom enough that the cart works better for this than a watchlist. I have had items I was no longer interested in sit in my cart for weeks.

I often add to my cart on my phone and then leave it until I’m on a full computer to double check and confirm. Only once have I actually gone to buy and someone else already had. In that case the timing was between adding to my cart on my way out of the office, and it selling before I got home.

I do the same on Amazon. My "for later" cart is several pages long. When I get around to cleaning it I'm sure I'll find several items I've already bought and several items that I have no idea why I wanted them.

It is definitely a sales tool for Reverb to get you panicked about loosing out on a purchase. To get you from “watcher” to “buyer”.
Yes, and it makes something more desirable if somebody else wants it. If nobody is interested then it's probably not a good deal!

I think this psychology is part of the Cocobolo lottery concept: the gamification builds a lot of excitement and desire that ensures everything sells immediately. Without that they could probably charge more but may be slower to sell.

Yes, and it makes something more desirable if somebody else wants it. If nobody is interested then it's probably not a good deal!

I think this psychology is part of the Cocobolo lottery concept: the gamification builds a lot of excitement and desire that ensures everything sells immediately. Without that they could probably charge more but may be slower to sell.

I agree mostly, but I feel like the Cocobolo lottery and the Reverb thing are slightly different. Unfortunately, I can’t articulate why I think that...maybe it is because I justified my Cocobolo lottery entries to myself and I don’t want to admit it was all just a mental game to get me to spend money...:p

you see the same thing on Etsy. I think some folks use the cart almost as a "favorites" list without intention of actually buying - just a way to easily find things later.

I justified my Cocobolo lottery entries to myself and I don’t want to admit it was all just a mental game to get me to spend money...:p
I don't mean it in a bad way: Given the demand, Cocobolo could raise their prices. They drive some of that demand by gamification and by explicit exclusivity--similar to an artist who raises demand by putting out a limited edition which sells more copies than the theoretically unlimited versions--but I think (hope!) they can only do that because they have a really solid product. I don't think I've seen any review (including yours) from somebody who was less that thrilled by their Cocobolo. I'll be back in the lotteries as soon as they put up another baritone!

Looking through the offerings on Reverb, I often see that a uke is in someone's cart, and it will stay there for days. Right now, there is a Collings that is in two carts. Interesting situation.

I guess people think that if it's in their cart, it's safe. Not quite. "He who pays, plays."

Sometimes I'll put something in the cart for an impulse buy and then find out shipping isn't set up for Hawaii and just log out, and it'll sit there for a week or two. ;D

I think sometimes people put things in their cart to see the grand total with tax, and payments if they use Affirm, without actually deciding that they intend to purchase it.

I toss things in my cart to remember them for later and so I can see what the final price will be with discounts, taxes, and shipping included. I buy seldom enough that the cart works better for this than a watchlist. I have had items I was no longer interested in sit in my cart for weeks.

I often add to my cart on my phone and then leave it until I’m on a full computer to double check and confirm. Only once have I actually gone to buy and someone else already had. In that case the timing was between adding to my cart on my way out of the office, and it selling before I got home.

I do the same on Amazon. My "for later" cart is several pages long. When I get around to cleaning it I'm sure I'll find several items I've already bought and several items that I have no idea why I wanted them.

I don't even want to know how long my saved cart on Amazon is. I also have a wishlist. No rhyme or reason, but they both make finding things later easier.

Sometimes I'll put something in the cart for an impulse buy and then find out shipping isn't set up for Hawaii and just log out, and it'll sit there for a week or two. ;D

Amazing how many companies on the mainland can’t handle shipping here. Maybe they nevah heah of “Post Office” or “UPS”.

I don't even want to know how long my saved cart on Amazon is. I also have a wishlist. No rhyme or reason, but they both make finding things later easier.

Yup, my watch list is so long that it's sometimes easier for me to just add certain instruments to the cart so it's easier to find.

Amazing how many companies on the mainland can’t handle shipping here. Maybe they nevah heah of “Post Office” or “UPS”.

Yes, that is odd. I've gotten ukes shipped from HI in three days - Wed - Fri. It should work in the other direction, too.

Yes, that is odd. I've gotten ukes shipped from HI in three days - Wed - Fri. It should work in the other direction, too.

It does, once people take the time to investigate the USPS rates. I just got one from Canada within 3 business days. (more tricky for full size guitars which just barely fit within the size restrictions)

Last edited:
I've had really experiences buying off reverb. I've purchase two ukes from it . . . both used. The last one was especially a jewel - and I believe someone else was looking at it, but I was able to pull the trigger. He who hesitates is strumless.

Reverb has a 15% off sale running for 4th of July. In honor of this thread I just tossed several items I really don't need (but that I'd been eyeing) in my cart. Darn it. Now to practice willpower through the weekend, especially since I've barely started playing last weekend's GASsing!

Reverb has a 15% off sale running for 4th of July. In honor of this thread I just tossed several items I really don't need (but that I'd been eyeing) in my cart. Darn it. Now to practice willpower through the weekend, especially since I've barely started playing last weekend's GASsing!

I wonder how that works. It seems to cover only certain items. I wouldn't want to have my price cut by 15% if I was selling something. Mim's prices haven't changed.

Yup, my watch list is so long that it's sometimes easier for me to just add certain instruments to the cart so it's easier to find.

Same with Puerto Rico. Yet there are UPS and FedEx trucks delivering packages every day and USPS has a post office six blocks from my house. I did though order an amp from Sweetwater and they said on the site that they did not ship to PR or Hawaii. I called them up and the guy I talked to said no problem, they do it all the time.

I did though order an amp from Sweetwater and they said on the site that they did not ship to PR or Hawaii. I called them up and the guy I talked to said no problem, they do it all the time.

Sweetwater is a very nice company - easy to deal with - and I'll say the same thing about Elderly.

Top Bottom