Twitter?

I heard on the radio about some Egyptian protesters that used it to keep track of which members of their group were arrested and mistreated by their government.

Pretty cool application of technology.

(more info about that kind of thing here)

Mark my words, in a year or 2 everyone is going to have one. it'll be like a facebook or myspace.

I heard on the radio about some Egyptian protesters that used it to keep track of which members of their group were arrested and mistreated by their government.

Pretty cool application of technology.

(more info about that kind of thing here)

Rayan...you mentioned out of the loop awhile back. Well....what the f is twitter and what does it do. I am in my 30s...is that an excuse??...haha

Rayan...you mentioned out of the loop awhile back. Well....what the f is twitter and what does it do. I am in my 30s...is that an excuse??...haha

It's basically a micro blogging / online messaging system that interfaces with a lot of newer web applications. It's most useful if you want to keep track of what someone is doing. So for example today, Kevin Rose of digg.com and Gary Vaynerchuk of winelibrary.com were streaming live video from San Francisco. They put out a post and everyone is instantly notified.

It's also cool if you have a bunch of friends that are all one, if they all keep it up, you can kind of always see what youre friends are up to.

I have my twitter integrated with an application called remember the milk and I can sen myself text messages from my phone to an online to do list.

It's not for everyone, but I do spill the beans sometimes on newer things I'm working on for UU in my feed.

Last edited:
It's basically a micro blogging / online messaging system that interfaces with a lot of newer web applications. It's most useful if you want to keep track of what someone is doing. So for example today, Kevin Rose of digg.com and Gary Vaynerchuk of winelibrary.com were streaming live video from San Francisco. They put out a post and everyone is instantly notified.

It's also cool if you have a bunch of friends that are all one, if they all keep it up, you can kind of always see what youre friends are up to.

I have my twitter integrated with an application called remember the milk and I can sen myself text messages from my phone to an online to do list.

It's not for everyone, but I do spill the beans sometimes on newer things I'm working on for UU in my feed.

I wonder if you will hit maximum tech overload when you hit age 30 like I did. I am def. tech. inclined, but recently sort of threw in the towel with keeping up on all the latest. I will leave that to the young whipper-snappers like yourself...ahha. All of this and we can't find bin Ladden?? Can you use Twitter to find him o' wha???:eek:

I wonder if you will hit maximum tech overload when you hit age 30 like I did. I am def. tech. inclined, but recently sort of threw in the towel with keeping up on all the latest. I will leave that to the young whipper-snappers like yourself...ahha. All of this and we can't find bin Ladden?? Can you use Twitter to find him o' wha???:eek:

I am inching towards 30 and definitely can relate with giving up on trying to keep up with the latest and greatest. I figure that at this point I may as well let other people sort out what tech will make me more productive and adopt it after the fact.

That said, I love reading about new stuff and interesting application of all the new stuff.

re:Twitter--it seems like a really cool thing for people that do a lot of interesting stuff and want to stay connected. My sister and her fiance love using it.

http://twitter.com/retius

Being over thirty is no excuse. I'll not be there for another six months or so, but at 29, I'm more technologically-focused than I ever was. The older I get, the more exciting the toys get, you know?

Of course, I work in an environment where all my bosses have twitter, for example, so there's some peer pressure there, as well.

Not to mention that I spend half my time immersed in the past-- as a student of History-- and half in the future-- looking at the applications of new technology for historical education and research.

I added the uke to my repertoire of "things I spend my time on," in part because I needed something that just was in the NOW.

once you learn how to @ and d people, it gets fun.

Yeah over 30 is no excuse!

http://twitter.com/juniskins - I opened this account for my husband and I to use it to give microupdates on his skin suites for Windows Mobile devices. But I also use it for my own rants and raves. :) I'll add everyone as soon as I get some sleep. I just got back from the last night of a play I was in and I'm beat!

Speaking of ranting, sorry for venting my spleen about the rights and wrongs of horse racing over on twitter. Good horse racing, and the care of these awesome animals is a subject near and dear to my heart, and such crap is spouted about it by people who pretend to care about animals, it just pisses me off.

Anyway, I don't usually spam that much. :)

Last edited:
I still don't get it.

once you learn how to @ and d people, it gets fun.

The apps are fun too. I like using Twhirl so it updates me in real time, and it makes it easy to @ people and stuffs. I don't think id tweet as much if I didn't use Twhirl.

What does it mean to @ and d people?

Top Bottom