FS: Maui Music Pre-fire Koa SK Soprano

raffrox

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to sell my Maui Music SK soprano. It's solid koa with what looks like a rosewood fretboard. Comes with the hardcase in the pictures.

ZnfIbJ5l.jpg

Xsdmmqpl.jpg

2LZUtNWl.jpg

betj2nHl.jpg

This one is pre-fire uke made by Peter Lieberman before the original Maui Music workshop unfortunately burnt down in late 2000. Its serial number is 00-9331. I contacted Peter and confirmed that this was made in September 2000 number 331 for the year.

The uke is completely sound structurally from a playing perspective. It has its original tuning pegs in good working order and everything else is purely cosmetic. There's no cracks or movement of any kind. Anyone who has played one of Peters uke’s would know that they are well balanced, light, very responsive and resonant. I heard them described as sound cannons which is a good description, but they are also balanced in sound as well. It’s a beautiful uke but I just don’t play soprano’s but I just can’t help myself! So I tend to buy one, not play it much, sell it, buy a soprano, not play it much, sell it… rinse and repeat!!

I've tried to capture all the cosmetic issues in the photos in my second post which include a scratch on the back of the neck, an enamel chip on the peg of one of the tuners, various light scratches on the head stock and strum marks on the soundboard. The sound board below the sound hole (righthand upper bout) has a much thinner layer of finish which is noticeable when you run your eye level with the soundboard and reflect the light and there's also some kind of small mark on the right-hand lower bout. Feel free to ask more questions though.

Asking US$450 + postage (whatever that turns out to be). Also open to a trade for anything but a soprano of similar value.

From other UU sellers I’ve had chats with international postage would be about US$80 but that a bit of a guess and postage within Australia it’s usually around AU$30. This is the first uke I’ve tried to sell here but I have bought from Strumdaddy previously and have been on the boards for a few years.

I'm in Australia and with the rosewood fretboard a CITIES permit would be required (not that I have had experience with this previously). Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I listed this uke a while back and I'm still keen to move this on to someone that will play it. It doesn't get the love it deserves. As a player it's the best soprano I've had but I just don't play sopranos. It's loud and bright and a very well made uke. As you can see from the pictures there is some cosmetic stuff going on but it's very solid from a structural point of view. I'm open to offers to see what people might be willing to pay. Drop me a message and I'm happy to have a chat.

Changes in CITIES regulations will make it easier to ship these days as well.

Cheers :)

Top Bottom