Kamaka 8 string HF-800

hoosierhiver

Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of this model? I got an email from a guy who found a Kamaka 8 string when he bought the contents of a storage locker. It is in mint condition and was accompanied by the purchase receipt from 1988 listing it as a HF-800. (sorry for the typo in the thread title)

Last edited:
Mim has a video from 2015

https://youtu.be/hAp72n2xjzg

Here's another one with Aaron playing for MGM for a video from almost 7 years ago (August 2012)
https://youtu.be/4T-XpLKqpmY

You could reach out to Kamaka to verify if they were building 8 strings then.

But if it's been sitting in a storage locker I would be concerned about the condition of the Ukulele. I guess you'll check it out in a public place. Good luck.

Last edited:
It's not a HF-36 which is their standard 8 string model, this one says HF-800. The guy lives in New Zealand so I don't think I'll be checking it out in person, but I'm curious as I can find nothing about the Kamaka HF-800.

The model numbers have changed since then possibly in the 90s. I think my old 6 string is a HF-600. How much did it cost in those days? I assume white label?

Last edited:
The model numbers have changed since then possibly in the 90s. I think my old 6 string is a HF-600. How much did it cost in those days? I assume white label?

That's very likely the case, it appears to be the same uke as the HF-36. I don't know what it went for, from the pic I saw, it looked like a white label.

Are you looking for a template for a new Mainland 8-String? :) I have a short list of ukuleles that I'd definitely want to have...a Kamaka (Concert) is on that list, but also not a pressing purchase.

On a side note, I had a chance to meet you again in Nashville and to buy a Baritone Mainland...I love it. Thanks for doing all that you do!

Are you looking for a template for a new Mainland 8-String? :) I have a short list of ukuleles that I'd definitely want to have...a Kamaka (Concert) is on that list, but also not a pressing purchase.

On a side note, I had a chance to meet you again in Nashville and to buy a Baritone Mainland...I love it. Thanks for doing all that you do!

No immediate plans for an 8 string, maybe down the line sometime.

Hf-800

That 1979 Uke was mine. The receipt did say HF-800. Here is a pic of the receipt. Hopefully it comes out facing the right way. I sold the uke a few months ago. I had it for 40 years in like new condition. IMG_2169.jpg

Top Bottom